Rate My Team and My Strategy, Newbie, Any Thoughts Welcome - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Team and My Strategy, Newbie, Any Thoughts Welcome

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Team and My Strategy, Newbie, Any Thoughts Welcome

Postby thatguy27 » Sat May 27, 2006 2:35 am

This is long, but for those with time and interest, please read and offer your thoughts. Any input is much appreciated.

This is my first season in fantasy baseball, but I feel I've picked things up quickly and am doing quite well. Going into the draft, I didn't even know most of the players names, but used what could very losely be regarded as VBD based on past returns. I obviously didn't make projections, and didn't take into account offseason moves or players probable decline and development, as I have not followed baseball for ten or so years now.

About half of my current roster consists of guys I acquired through trade (usually buy low/sell high deals, but sometimes just equitable trades where we exchanged positions of need) or through free agent pick ups. I lucked into some quality draft picks, like getting Pujols 3rd because some moron took Manny 2nd (ARod went first), and getting Shelton in the last round, who, when he was hot, I traded for Helton, and I just recently traded Helton for Teix (pretty amazing, turning a 30th rounder into a 1st rounder). Most of my success, however, is due to my working the waiver wire and buying low and selling high on players. From time to time I have sought advice from the gurus here, and it has paid off. I also have a good friend, not in the league, who is a long time fantasy baseball nut, and he has been a mentor of sorts for me.

The strategy I have employed, which seems to work, is to stock up with stud pitchers, while having very few offensive bench players. This has worked well so far, especially due to Pujols amazing production so far. Some guys in the league use a far different strategy which entails picking up and dropping a pitcher or two every day. This works well because the league is small and there are plenty of quality FA pitchers. The guy who does this usually wins Ks and wins, but suffers at WHIP and ERA. It's a bit unfortunate that we did not employ a rule (like limiting the number of moves a team can make in a given week) to discourage this kind of thing, but it's too late to change it.

This is a six team league, which seems silly, but we have fun with it since we're all newbies and most of us try to stay active and keep it competitive. A lot of moves are made, both through trades and FA pickups, as the FA pool is stacked due to the league being so small.

Categories that are scored are: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, S, A, E, AVE, OBP, SLG, W, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Scoring is head to head. My current record is 86-40-8, and I have a 23 game lead over the second place team.

Positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, RF, LF, CF, CI, MI, IF, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

After that, there are 8 bench slots and 1 DL slot. So, we have 30 man rosters, 31 if you count DL. This means at most 186 players are taken, so yeah, there is a ton of talented free agents.

My team (with other positions eligibilities in parentheses):

C Mauer, Willingham (LF)
1B Pujols, Delgado, Teix, Nomar (SS, 3B)
2B Utley (1B), Figgins (3B, LF, CF, RF)
3B Chavez
SS Hanley, Rollins
LF Burrell
RF Abreu, Sheff
CF Sizemore, Pierre
SP Halladay, Oswalt, Webb, Capuano, Zambrono, Randy, Kazmir, Liriano (RP), Contreras, Willis, Mussina
RP Lidge, Valverde, Gordon, Gagne

My team looked nothing like that after that draft. A lot of the guys, Hanley, Kazmir, Mussina, Contreras, Capuano, Liriano, Gordon, Valverde, Willingham, Nomar, I picked up as FAs. I have also acquired through trade, Mauer, Teix, Utley, Figgins, Sizemore, Halladay, Oswalt, Zambrono.

Now, I'm sure this team looks amazing, but keep in mind it is a 6 team league. Most of the owners lack baseball knowledge, and I will admit I am probalby the most active of the 6. I am just curious what you guys think of my team. I'd also like to know if you guys feel my strategy of loading up with quality pitchers and leaving my offensive bench barren is a good idea. Again, it has worked good so far, but in recent weeks, I've been winning most offensive categories but just barely.

A couple other things I'm wondering is if you guys would recommend selling high on any of my players. Also, I've been very frustrated with both Rollins and Pierre, and am contemplating dropping one of them for Brian Robers, Curtis Granderson, or Jose Lopez, so I'd like some input on that.

Again, I know it's long, but if you're read this far, I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.
Last edited by thatguy27 on Sat May 27, 2006 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatguy27 » Sat May 27, 2006 2:47 am

One more thing, I've become very frustrated with Lidge, and have considered dropping him for Todd Jones. Jones has a ton of saves despite being hurt for some time (Rodney got 6). So Detroit closers have a combined 21 saves (amazing).

Verlander and Lackey are also both available, and I was wondering if either of them was worth a look, though it's tough because I've no idea who I'd drop. I've been trying to swing some 2 for 1 trades to clear up room, but it's difficult.

Oh, and recently, I traded Rios (who I got as a FA) for Willis. I considered it as a classic buy low/sell high, especially with the Willis trade rumors swirling. However, I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake. I just don't foresee Rios batting in the .350's all season, and didnt' want to suffer that 50 or so point drop off in his average. Any thoughts on that trade? This is a redraft league, JFYI.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:05 am

Also available, Brett Myers. He seems pretty dominant. Is he worth a pickup and if so, who do I drop? I feel like I should start packaging pitchers with offensive players to get offensive upgrades, then pick up some of the FA pitchers. I feel like at this point, packaging Nomar with Capuano might net me a pretty darn good 3B or OF, which is where I feel I could use some help. Though, I must admit I've been thrilled with Capuano's consistency. I was looking through stats today, and Mussina and Capuano have probably been the most consistent pitchers so far this season. Neither has gone less than six innings and neither has allowed more than 3 runs--phenomenal. Webb is close, and IMO by far a better option, but he did get roughed up in one start.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigdawg78 » Sat May 27, 2006 9:22 am

well to upgrade your team will be kinda difficult... lets face it you got 1 of the top 3 at C with Mauer (and willingham isnt bad either). you got the top 1b in Pujols...2B is all sured up as well with Utley.. you cant get much better at 3b either..chavez normally heats up around mid-season... SS Hanley is deffinately doing very well this yr.. if you could package him and one of your pitchers to get a Tejada..or Michael Young...just because i dont think that Hanley will keep it up all yr (ive been wrong lots of times though)...your corner infielder should be Delgado..at least until Teix heats up...which i believe will happen...your middle infield should be Garciaparra..and the infielder would be figgins...with the way pierre has been hitting i would try to trade him cheaply (but sometimes i sell when players are too low)...he would deffinately be on the bench...you got one of the best RF out there in Abreu, and one of the better CF in Sizemore.. you could possibly try for Carl Crawford to put in LF...altho now that he is starting to hit it might be harder...i would bench Lidge but he will be back by later this season IMO...i am actually going to try to get him for something little on my bench when he loses his job for a month or so....( i actually see him being thrown to WW in many leagues...but i wouldnt drop him, unless Hou closer is lights out)...and i dont see any other Hou relievers doing that for any length of time...Velverde and Gordon are doing well right now...and Gagne will be the closer when he comes back... which Zambrono is it that you got...i am gonna guess Carlos...so you got (IMO)..three weak pitcher for a 6 team league... Zambrono cant get the wins in ChC...Randy (guessing Johnson) isnt what he used to be, and i would try to trade him in the 2 for 1 trade you were talking about....and Willis is on a sucky team...just pray he gets traded to contender soon... other than that your SP is pretty good
if you cant hang with the bigdawg get on the porch :)
bigdawg78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby thatguy27 » Sun May 28, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for the input Bidawg. I appreciate it.

Anyone have thouhgts on some of the FAs I mentioned? Jose, Lopez, Brian Robers, I can't remember who else I mentioned, but basically are any of them worth picking up.

Oh yeah and Verlander? I know he's been stellar so far, but I've heard from some that it's party due to an easy schedule. Thoughts?

Also available, Lackey. He seems fairly consistent, but nothing special. I feel like all of my current pitchers are better options, save for RJ, who I'm still holding out hope for. And, he's on the Yahoo can't cut list, so, so much for cutting him.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Sun May 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Oh, and Brett Myers and Curtis Granderson.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team