Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brian McCann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian McCann

Postby The Big Train » Fri May 26, 2006 10:49 pm

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/27/06

Chicago — Brian McCann limped off the field Friday, pounded his fist into a pad over the dugout, and shouted an expletive before heading to the training room.

And likely to the disabled list.

It was an unexpected and unfortunate development for the Braves, the scene Friday morning when McCann tested his sprained left ankle and everyone watching quickly realized he wasn't ready to play.

Manager Bobby Cox said the Braves would wait to see how McCann felt Saturday, but that it was likely he'd go on the 15-day disabled list.

The Braves need to open a roster spot for pitcher Horacio Ramirez, who's scheduled to start Saturday. Backup catcher Brayan Pena would've been sent back to Class AAA Richmond today to open the roster spot if McCann were healthy.

"That hurts," said Cox, who only a few minutes earlier told McCann he planned to use him to pinch-hit Saturday and start in Sunday's finale against the Cubs.

That plan crumbled when McCann pulled up in pain while doing a running-and-cutting drill in the outfield before the series opener. He can run in a straight line without pain, but cutting caused sharp pain and a reality check.

"He can run straight ahead as hard as he can with zero problems," head trainer Jeff Porter said, "but he just found out he can't cut.

"If he can't do that by now, coming on a week [since the injury], it's probably going to take two more weeks. But it's still a guessing game."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Sat May 27, 2006 1:53 am

I've sprained my ankle badly before playing baseball and played next week, but the thing is, they moved me to first where you can still play slightly hobbled, but that was with my ankled taped so much it was almost as hard as a cast, but I don't see a catcher being able to do it... a catcher's got to have flexibility in his ankles to be even modestly effective... and to heal that ankle, the last thing he needs to be doing is catching.

The second I saw how much pain he was in and how he couldn't put weight on it, I knew it was 15 DL minimum.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby devastor » Sat May 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Yep DL it is!!
ugh!!
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Sat May 27, 2006 9:47 pm

It doesn't appear to be retroactive to any point since the injury either. Looks like he'll be out the full 15 days. Have to sit back and pray Varitek turns it around. :-?
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Sun May 28, 2006 5:46 am

Correction: it's retroactive to May 24th.
Image + Image = 762

The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby number9 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:15 am

Good sign? Wouldn't want him to hurry his return and play injured for the rest of the year though..

Latest News

Jun. 4, 2006 - 9:01 am et

Brian McCann (ankle) thinks he will be ready to be activated from the disabled list on Thursday.
"It's still a little sore, but getting better each day," said McCann. "I can jog on it a little bit. I'm not going to push it. I'm going to let it heal." McCann was able to hit off a tee on Saturday. He could hit batting practice pitching on Sunday.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
(via Rotoworld)
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nooner » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm

any info on his rehab last night? is he going to be back this week?
Nooner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kage812004 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:23 pm

i heard is should be back thursday?? i might be dropping loduca for him if thats the case.
GO SOX!! GO PATS!!
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:47 pm

kage812004 wrote:i heard is should be back thursday?? i might be dropping loduca for him if thats the case.

Word is, he'll be in the lineup tomorrow. Go out and pick him up if people were stupid enough to drop him.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Big Train » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:24 pm

McCann plays in minor league game
By The Associated Press

ROME - Catcher Brian McCann was 1-4 with a single as the designated hitter for the Rome Braves last night in his first of two games in an injury rehabilitation assignment.

McCann is expected to join the Braves tomorrow in Houston.

McCann, recovering from a sprained ankle, is eligible to come off the disabled list tomorrow.

Manager Bobby Cox says he's not sure if McCann will be ready to catch tomorrow. He said the team will judge how McCann does in Rome and put him through some drills when he returns.

McCann spent some time signing autographs for fans at the Single-A game and did not appear to be running full speed when he reached base on the single.
Image + Image = 762

The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates