Thank You Ken Griffey, Jr. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thank You Ken Griffey, Jr.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thank You Ken Griffey, Jr.

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:32 pm

Since Griffey's coming to Cincinnati, he has been notorious for getting hurt. That being said, I must thank Griffey for the oppurtunites that he's given other players such as Juan Encarnacion, Jose Guillen, & Wily Mo Pena. Through Griffey's struggles, the Reds were able to showcase these expendable talents and slowly improve their pitching staff, that without Griffey's injuries would have been even harder and more expensive to obtain.

- Juan Encarnacion was traded for Ryan Dempster, whom the Reds stupidly squandered by flat out releasing him instead of moving his good arm to the pen (stupid GM). Would love to actually have a closer right now, huh?

- Jose Guillen was traded for Aaron Harang (the current ace of the Cincy staff)

- Wily Mo Pena was traded, under much scrutiny, for Bronson Arroyo (who has so far been great this year for the Reds).

Without Griffey getting hurt, none of these acquisitions would have been possible. Even with a healthy Griffey, how were the Reds ever going to honestly compete without any decent pitching? Now I hope Griffey stays healthy. But in my opinion moving the fielding defunct Dunn to 1B and the promising Denofria to LF would possibly allow the Reds to repeat history and entice another team to part with a needed SP that would improve the Reds. This is tough love for the better and I thank you Ken Griffey, Jr. and all of his abnormalities.

:-)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:59 pm

Humorous, I'll give you credit. But, you still need to get over this beef you have with Griffey. And no, he won't move to LF to make you happy. :-]
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby PinotResa » Fri May 26, 2006 3:10 pm

lol, creative man, have to give you that. :-b
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Fri May 26, 2006 3:17 pm

if you knew anything about dempster...you'd know he's not good...he may have had a streak, but its over...

how can you tell? he's blown two straight saves...last to???
THE MARLINS

HE'S NOT GOOD!

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby EnFuego » Fri May 26, 2006 3:18 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:if you knew anything about dempster...you'd know he's not good...he may have had a streak, but its over...

THE MARLINS

HE'S NOT GOOD!

Freaking Dempster on my team. :-t
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby firemanx » Fri May 26, 2006 3:21 pm

I too would like to thank THE KID GRIFFEY for a great performance last week .270, 3 hr, 12 rbi
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2356864#2356864

firemanx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:00 pm

slomo007 wrote:Humorous, I'll give you credit. But, you still need to get over this beef you have with Griffey. And no, he won't move to LF to make you happy. :-]

I love Griffey, I venture to say he's my favorite player. Now some of that is based on nostalgia but I have to be somewhat realistic regarding his capabilties at his age. He's probably the 4th best CF on the team (Freel/McCracken/Kearns). I would really like to see Denofria in the OF though. Playing Griffey in CF is only out of respect and respect is a liabilty in this case. Leave Griffey in CF but at least let Denofria play LF and Dunn play 1B. It makes a much better team.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:01 pm

thatohiosportsfan wrote:if you knew anything about dempster...you'd know he's not good...he may have had a streak, but its over...

THE MARLINS

HE'S NOT GOOD!

He's better than Weathers as a closer. Not sure about Coffey since he's never had the job yet.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Return to Baseball Leftovers