An alternative way to use your #1 Waiver Priority: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An alternative way to use your #1 Waiver Priority:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

An alternative way to use your #1 Waiver Priority:

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 11:12 am

Jeremy Sowers- No, he is not being called up, but check out his stats.
Code: Select all
Team From To W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
Buffalo Bisons 04/06 05/24 6 1 0.94 10 10 1 1 0 67.0 52 11 7 1 18 37

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/jeremy-sowers.shtml

I realize he won't help as much in the K area, but he has excellent control, and (I think) is an extreme groundball pitcher. Could be Brandon Webb II.

When does he get called up? Is he the first to get called up if Byrd and Jason Johnson continue to suck up the place?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: An alternative way to use your #1 Waiver Priority:

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri May 26, 2006 12:19 pm

garf112 wrote:Jeremy Sowers- No, he is not being called up, but check out his stats.
Code: Select all
Team From To W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
Buffalo Bisons 04/06 05/24 6 1 0.94 10 10 1 1 0 67.0 52 11 7 1 18 37

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/jeremy-sowers.shtml

I realize he won't help as much in the K area, but he has excellent control, and (I think) is an extreme groundball pitcher. Could be Brandon Webb II.

When does he get called up? Is he the first to get called up if Byrd and Jason Johnson continue to suck up the place?

I think Sowers is the call up once the Indians realize that Byrd and/or Johnson just can't get it done. I saw him pitch several times last year, and even though his stuff is not dominant, his location is pretty much dominant. He basically threw 4 pitches and had very good control over all 4 pitches. He will never be a huge K guy, but he will pitch deep into games for his team and keep them in the game as well. I would label him a mix between Buerhle and Glavine a bit.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Mis other minor league numbers looked good but this year if I'm reading this right he has 67ip, 52h, 11r, 7er, 1hr, 18bb, 37k

For AAA a 2-1 k/bb ratio and a 4.97 k/9 ratio is very disappointing. Even if he is a ground ball pitcher those ratios would not cut it. Given his much better numbers in the past though this season's lower k's and higher walks may just be an aberration.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:39 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Mis other minor league numbers looked good but this year if I'm reading this right he has 67ip, 52h, 11r, 7er, 1hr, 18bb, 37k

For AAA a 2-1 k/bb ratio and a 4.97 k/9 ratio is very disappointing. Even if he is a ground ball pitcher those ratios would not cut it. Given his much better numbers in the past though this season's lower k's and higher walks may just be an aberration.

That is my only worry as well, but I think it is just an adjustment period, and to have a sub-1.00 ERA during an adjustment period in the minors is pretty unbelievable. Saying that, he might struggle in the majors when he gets called up, but I think he is worth taking a chance on.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri May 26, 2006 3:22 pm

His WHIP is up from years before (1.11) in the minors, as it was 1.08 before that :-b I wouldn't be too concerned but Sowers isn't one of those power pitchers you would be hoping that come out of the minors (Liriano, Verlander, Hamels)
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers