Is Verlander for real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Verlander for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Verlander for real?

Postby bigpapi3434 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:41 am

Hes pitching really well, hes on the wire im considering dropping C.Young for him
bigpapi3434
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 26, 2006 8:06 am

I live in DET and have seen/heard all of the games he has pitched. Baseball Prospectus had some comments on him yesterday -- in summary: future star, great talent. Early performance may be somewhat misleading only because he truly has pitched vs. the Weak Sisters.

In fact, you could argue that Verlander has had one of the easiest schedule of any ML pitcher to date:

OAK
SEA
MIN
ANA
BAL
MIN
KC

Is he good? Absolutely. Is he THIS good. Probably not quite. I'd say Young and Verlander are pretty evenly matched.

The Tigers walk down Easy Street is about to come to an end: CLE, NYY, BOS, TOR, CWS all coming up (maybe I got the order wrong, but the teams are right). That's quite a buzzsaw. We'll see what they are made out of and how Verlander fares.
Last edited by d18Mike on Fri May 26, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:26 am

d18mike brings up a good point, but keep in mind that the list of teams he mentioned is not his entire schedule. He started off the year with back to back games of @Texas and vs CWS. He got lit up against the CWS, but pitched tremendously in Texas.

Basically, if you can sell him high and get great value for him, go for it. Personally, due to the flukishly low K numbers so far, I am going to hang on to him and wait for those numbers to start increasing. When they do, I'll consider selling high.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bigpapi3434 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:41 am

pays to have someone who lives in the town the players play in for some good insite!
OK well here are the others left on the wire are any of these players worth dropping Young for?

C.Hamels (DL)
T.Armus
L.Hernandez
J.Lieber
B.Tomko
W.Rodriguez
bigpapi3434
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Fri May 26, 2006 9:31 am

Couple of things to worry about in non-keeper leagues. Lack of Ks and possible second half fatigue. He hasn't logged over 160 IP and went through a deadarm phase late last year.

Looks pretty good right now though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 26, 2006 9:34 am

bigpapi3434 wrote:pays to have someone who lives in the town the players play in for some good insite!
OK well here are the others left on the wire are any of these players worth dropping Young for?

C.Hamels (DL)
T.Armus
L.Hernandez
J.Lieber
B.Tomko
W.Rodriguez

This really belongs in the add/drop/waiver forum.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 26, 2006 10:29 am

Yoda wrote:Couple of things to worry about in non-keeper leagues. Lack of Ks and possible second half fatigue. He hasn't logged over 160 IP and went through a deadarm phase late last year.

i'm from Detroit as well, and those are definate concerns. he has GREAT stuff (the guy was hitting 99 in the 9th), but alot of times Rookie pitchers will hit the wall later in the year...and yes, the Tigers havent faced the leagues elite teams either

probably worth riding him until he gives you a reason not to though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri May 26, 2006 10:31 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:Couple of things to worry about in non-keeper leagues. Lack of Ks and possible second half fatigue. He hasn't logged over 160 IP and went through a deadarm phase late last year.

i'm from Detroit as well, and those are definate concerns. he has GREAT stuff (the guy was hitting 99 in the 9th), but alot of times Rookie pitchers will hit the wall later in the year...and yes, the Tigers havent faced the leagues elite teams either

probably worth riding him until he gives you a reason not to though

I have him in my keeper money league so I won't be selling him high anyway since I can keep him as a rook. I just hope he holds up through the playoffs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri May 26, 2006 11:42 am

Leyland isn't taking it easy on Verlander. Verlander is on pace to throw more than 200 innings. Fatigue will almost definitely be an issue later on.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Fri May 26, 2006 11:47 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Leyland isn't taking it easy on Verlander. Verlander is on pace to throw more than 200 innings. Fatigue will almost definitely be an issue later on.

Not as sure that fatigue will be an issue as much as I think the Leyland may hold his starts in the second half to keep his innings down. The kid is very smooth and has shown amazing stamina so far. 99MPH in the 9th inning!

If he can harness his breaking ball it won't matter which team he faces. I would drop Young for him in the time it takes for a Verlander heater to pop in the glove.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers