Billingsley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billingsley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:47 am

Well, he's 21, and has a sub 4 ERA through two starts. Not phenominal, but he still looks like he'll be a pretty decent starter this season.

The lightside shall prevail...

Oh, and go Dodgers!
no1cowboysfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:07 am

only 4 k's in over 10 IP is a concern for me considering the hitters are seeing him for the first time.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:28 am

I saw him hit 95 mph a couple times in his first start. Hitters were fouling his curveball off like crazy somehow. Who knows how good he'll be this year? He's got 2 starts this week @MIN and @ANA...should be an indicater of what to expect. :-?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:57 am

it's just that after seeing Jared Weaver, Verlander, kazmire, Lester and even Josh Johnson, we expect a lil more (yes, now) from a top 5 prospect IN ALL of BASEBALL.

His command is subpar and it's so frustrating watching him....is it me or is the count always 3-0?
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby FBIGUY » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:07 pm

I watched both of his games this year...cuz I picked him up!

It sure looked like he has trouble getting people out! You know, when a stud gets people in an 0-2 or 1-2. they usually get them to bounce out, or strike out rather quickly.

Billingsley on the other hand has trouble...he will miss his spots, they will foul off three fastballs and then maybe he walks them or they get a hit!

He can't finish the deal. I think that is a big problem.

It looked to me like his fastball was too flat to get a swinging out and his location with the other pitches is so bad that he can't pick at the corner....all of this leads to high pitch counts and early exits.

I think he has upside, but I don't think he can get it done this year. also his low K count is not good.

That is just what I have seen...I am thinking of dropping him for Sowers in my league. :,-(
Writing Fantasy Baseball Articles whenever I get a chance and checking my fantasy teams.
FBIGUY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ThisOneGuy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm debating whether I want to start him next week for his 2-start week, and cut him after that if he's not lights out, or just cut him now for Sowers or maybe Sosa (named ATL's closer)

He wasn't quite dominant or consistent enough in the minors this year for my taste and I'm not a fan of guys who rack up huge pitch counts early. Plus, he hasn't been striking guys out.

I had high hopes for him too, but maybe he's a year away. :-P
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:08 pm

He's a rookie. Give him a couple games. Plus having a good K/9 or K:BB ratio in the minors doesn't mean he'll have it in the majors. It also depends on who he pitches. He didn't do that bad yesterday. 2 ER in 5 IP when someone else could have given up 4 or 5. Give him a couple games and if he totally blows, (more like Mulder), then dump him. You don't expect Hamels to be excellent all the time do you?
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:22 pm

NZF wrote:only 4 k's in over 10 IP is a concern for me considering the hitters are seeing him for the first time.

that was a concern after the first game I predicted 7k and he got 3. I hope he adjust because he's my favorite pitching prospect but this is probably why pitching prospects are so unpredictable. Plus I don't think he was dominating in Las Vegas either, I know it's a hitter's park, but he didn't post eye popping numbers
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers