Postby chris_dubyuh » Fri May 26, 2006 3:00 am

How about the Blue Crew?

Lets recap:

-15 wins in last 18 games
-8 wins in a row
-Leading NL in Hits, Runs, RBI, OBP, second to D-Backs in AVG
-Team ERA under 3 and averaging 6+ runs per game since 5/5/06
-Outscored LAA + COL during the last homestand (6 games) 52-10

With Gagne, Izturis, and others coming back - how can the Dodgers NOT get even better?

I think LA will continue to tear up the west on their way to the division title. Who's with me?
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:36 am

They've looked good. I picked the Giants actually to win the NL West since I think they'll make some acqusitions to let Bonds go for it 1 more time.

But the Dodgers might even be better if they can rearrange their team some with callups, trades, and cuts that should be made to allow for their best players to take the field. Saying that, I really hope they trade Izturis and probably Repko or Either for a #2 or #3 starter and bring up Billingsley soon as well. Assuming they bring up Billingsley as the #5, Tomko and Sea are huge question marks and will negeat any type of run, in my opinion. Something for Perez also might be had. Also, their pen could use added depth, Gagne returning effectively would help that, but Hamulack & Carter are crap.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby stumpak » Fri May 26, 2006 9:29 am

The problem is a glaring lack of a true #1 starter. My concern is that even if they win the West, they are not viable in the playoffs with their current staff.

I frankly see Willis in the Dodger's future, but I am not sure that this does a whole lot to ameliorate the problem.

But it is true, as someone pointed out in the forum a couple of days ago, that a truely healthy Gagne turns the much-maligned bullpen into a major strength.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chris_dubyuh » Fri May 26, 2006 9:47 am

Yeah, Izturis will probably be dealt for help elsewhere -- it will be sad to see him go because he was such a fan favorite. I just can't see him or Furcal converting to any other position like 2B, 3B or LF with Aybar manning 3B until Mueller's return and Ethier's solid play in left. The young guys are doing a great job and it's the kind of situation I believe, that if it's working, don't try to change it.

If Oakland is not in the hunt then there could be a chance Zito comes to LA. Just speculating here.
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby Mile High Ballers » Fri May 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Only because they are the Dodgers...LOL I liken them to the Raiders, in that, they always look great on paper and never seem to reach their potential in the last , what decade now. But at least they don't have the Al Davis factor/ cancer beating them down.... Good luck to your Dodgers man.
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Melo255 » Fri May 26, 2006 12:54 pm

Anytime JD Drew and Nomar are your best hitters you are treading on thin ice. By tomorrow we could be talking about how both are hurt and the Dodgers can't hit worth a lick. Kent is crushing the ball but is almost 40 and the same goes for Lofton. They are great right now but to expect all of those guys to both stay healthy and to continue hitting like they are is probably overly optimistic.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Los_Dodgers » Fri May 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Kent will still be able to hit for a few more years....and even if we don't have that awesome stud in the middle of the lineup we make up for it with all of the guys that can get on base...Furcal, Lofton(for now), Drew, Nomar, Kent...right now especially our offense can compete with almost anyones. I am much more worried about our pitching in the sense that its obvious Sele will fall apart and Ican see that same happening to Tomko, to a lesser extent. I agree with a previous poster in the idea that we should trade Izturis when he comes back, even though i do love him, along with Repko or Ethier, hopefull Repko, for an ace like SP, such as Zito. If we can call up Billingsley and he can produce like we all think he will, I'll be a happy, happy man.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 26, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm not sure how close he his but Andy LaRoche might make a nice contribution if he comes up toward the end of the year (especially if Mueller's health problems drag on).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Fri May 26, 2006 4:37 pm

I disagree with the idea of trading Izturis upon his return. We won't get value for him coming off an injury. I must admit that Izturis is a personal favorite, and I am reluctant to let him go. Ultimately, though, he will go. Colletti sealed that deal when he signed up Kent for another year.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:38 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I'm not sure how close he his but Andy LaRoche might make a nice contribution if he comes up toward the end of the year (especially if Mueller's health problems drag on).

I think Kemp is coming up also. he is tearing up AA right now. Bottom line: the future is bright for the Dodgers.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers