Highest 25 paid players!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Highest 25 paid players!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:33 pm

Wow, pretty shocked at how many pitchers up there. Also, as great as Derek Jeter is, does he really need 20 million a year. I know he's a Yankee, but was any other team really going to pay him anywhere near that much?

Mussina at 19 million is pretty awful too. I think Chan Ho getting that much is spectacular, if a guy that bad can make that much, well there's hope for me.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:37 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Wow, pretty shocked at how many pitchers up there. Also, as great as Derek Jeter is, does he really need 20 million a year. I know he's a Yankee, but was any other team really going to pay him anywhere near that much?

It is a little much for Jeter, but he is the Yankee captain. I think it was a nice gesture that Steinbrenner gave him extra money for the work that he had done before signing the contract. Much better than the Marlins giving Miguel Cabrera just a bit over the minimum.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby jh2031 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:41 pm

Just another reason to hate the Yankees. B-)
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Fri May 26, 2006 1:44 pm

The Kavorka wrote:
jondunc wrote:New York teams own 10 of the 25 or 40%. :-°

The Yankees have 7 out of the Top 25.

28%

Everybody wants to lump the Mets together with the Yankees. The Yankees payroll is double that of the Mets.

Double

You think you have trouble being lumped in with the Yanks? Hell, half the time I have to remind myself there's no big evil money grabbing team out there called the Yankeesandboston.

Oh, and the Yanks' payroll is abour $12m less than double the Mets' would be. Or, as I now prefer to think of the sum of $12m, one Florida Marlins. :-D

The Jeter, ARod and Giambi contracts are backloaded as well.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:26 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Wow, pretty shocked at how many pitchers up there. Also, as great as Derek Jeter is, does he really need 20 million a year. I know he's a Yankee, but was any other team really going to pay him anywhere near that much?

Mussina at 19 million is pretty awful too. I think Chan Ho getting that much is spectacular, if a guy that bad can make that much, well there's hope for me.

They make so much because they both signed in 2001.

A-Rod signed that monster deal with Texas, and then all the prices skyrocketed. A-Rod got $25 million, so then Jeter got $20, Mussina $19, Manny around $19 or $20.

Giambi is definately overpaid but he doesn't make $20 mill per year. His contract is backloaded, so he's making all of his money now.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby giants! » Fri May 26, 2006 2:46 pm

Jeter is overpaid but there would be suitors for jeter that would offer similar money. It is important for the Yankees to keep Jeter because he is the face of the franchise and the locker room leader and just has an excellent attitude which rubs off on the team. Its not entirely coincidental that Jeter's first year was the beginning of the Yankees dynasty.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CadensDad » Fri May 26, 2006 2:58 pm

giants! wrote:

Jeter is overpaid but there would be suitors for jeter that would offer similar money. It is important for the Yankees to keep Jeter because he is the face of the franchise and the locker room leader and just has an excellent attitude which rubs off on the team. Its not entirely coincidental that Jeter's first year was the beginning of the Yankees dynasty.

Very good point Giants, Jeter is getting paid for more than his on feild skill. Sometimes a guy in the lockeroom who pushes everyone else, speaks to the press with first class talent, works charity ect. ect. ect. ANY team would be glad to have him and he is worth the money he earns IMO

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby option245 » Fri May 26, 2006 3:26 pm

garf112 wrote:

It is a little much for Jeter, but he is the Yankee captain. I think it was a nice gesture that Steinbrenner gave him extra money for the work that he had done before signing the contract. Much better than the Marlins giving Miguel Cabrera just a bit over the minimum.

You can't even compare those two...Cabrera hasn't even reached arbitration yet and the Marlins have never even come close to spending the money the Yankees have, year in and year out, even on their Championship years.
option245
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 3:40 pm

option245 wrote:
garf112 wrote:

You can't even compare those two...Cabrera hasn't even reached arbitration yet and the Marlins have never even come close to spending the money the Yankees have, year in and year out, even on their Championship years.

I was comparing the two philosophies.

Marlins= spend as little as possible right now, even if it means paying your best player near the league minimum. (There are plenty of players that aren't arbitration eligible that make decent money, so you can't use that as an excuse.)

Yankees= reward your players that have performed for you, even if you are overcompensating them.

I realize that the Yankees have ALOT more money to play with and they are two players that are at different stages of their careers, but it is still a valid comparison.

Even in 1998, Jeter made $750,000. Not a ton, but more than the Yankees NEEDED to pay him. Cabrera= $472,000 in 2006.

Pujols made $900,000 in his third season in the majors (2003).

Bonds made $220,000 in 1988.

Do you see the trend?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers