D-train to the Dbacks on the horizon???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

D-train to the Dbacks on the horizon????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D-train to the Dbacks on the horizon????

Postby FalcoAtL » Fri May 26, 2006 1:54 am

The Diamondbacks recently contacted the Marlins about trading for Dontrelle Willis, says the Arizona Republic. <---- CBS Sportsline

They gained 3 mill in the Duque trade and obviously they are not stupid enough to believe they can survive in first place without another proven starter. I feel this is a very understandable rumor since the Dbacks are obviously loaded in their farm system and won't have any trouble producing more top notch prospects after losing some.

The Miami Herald reports one persistent (and un-named) general manager has contacted the Marlins every week to see if Dontrelle Willis is available. Florida continues to reiterate it has no plans to trade the ace. ... <----Also from CBS Sportsline

Could this be the Dbacks?????
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jh2031 » Fri May 26, 2006 9:50 am

Yes, It's the Dbacks. No, the Marlins won't trade Willis. If they do, they are one of the dumbest franchises around.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Fri May 26, 2006 2:36 pm

jh2031 wrote:Yes, It's the Dbacks. No, the Marlins won't trade Willis. If they do, they are one of the dumbest franchises around.
They gave up everyone else. I think they'd do it if they feel like they're getting comporable minor league talent in return. I'm not so sure that there is anyone on their roster who is untouchable.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby FuriousGeorge » Fri May 26, 2006 3:15 pm

jh2031 wrote:Yes, It's the Dbacks. No, the Marlins won't trade Willis. If they do, they are one of the dumbest franchises around.

Well it was the Cubs that originally traded him to the Marlins.
FuriousGeorge
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jh2031 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:10 pm

FuriousGeorge wrote:

Well it was the Cubs that originally traded him to the Marlins.

Yeaaaah, and your point is? :-? :-?
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jh2031 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:13 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
They gave up everyone else. I think they'd do it if they feel like they're getting comporable minor league talent in return. I'm not so sure that there is anyone on their roster who is untouchable.

True. But Willis is making 4.5 mil. and Miggy is the lowest paid talent in the league. I think that alone makes them very hard to pry away from the Marlins. Zona would have to make a deal that the Marlins couldn't refuse...like Nippert, Upton, and another top minor leaguer. I doubt Zona wants to sell a lot of their future for just one player.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dc928 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:08 pm

jh2031 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:

True. But Willis is making 4.5 mil. and Miggy is the lowest paid talent in the league. I think that alone makes them very hard to pry away from the Marlins. Zona would have to make a deal that the Marlins couldn't refuse...like Nippert, Upton, and another top minor leaguer. I doubt Zona wants to sell a lot of their future for just one player.

I agreed. Dontrell is as cheap as you can get. I mean if Dontrell is making 10 million a year he would have been gone a long time ago. The fact that he is not close to his contract year and he is still young makes it hard to do so.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RGreener26 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:33 pm

No, no, no, and no...the Marlins will NOT give up Willis.

You are making a fatal flaw in your analysis...you are assuming the main objective of a baseball team is to win, which is wrong. The main objective is to make money. Having a winning team is one of the biggest factors contributing to winning, and thus generating revenue. But the Marlins cannot win. So why would anyone go to their games then...because of Willis. So no, this will never happen.
RGreener26
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beatlehead84 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Willis pitches somewhere around 20 starts at home...that's a guess by the way. Willis isn't filling up the place when he pitches either. I don't think the Marlins consider Dontrelle a cash cow. If the Marlins can get good value they'll trade him. But, they have to get a lot. I would think the DBacks would have to give up one of their blue chip prospects and a couple other pieces to make it happen.
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FalcoAtL » Fri May 26, 2006 10:19 pm

RGreener26 wrote:No, no, no, and no...the Marlins will NOT give up Willis.

You are making a fatal flaw in your analysis...you are assuming the main objective of a baseball team is to win, which is wrong. The main objective is to make money. Having a winning team is one of the biggest factors contributing to winning, and thus generating revenue. But the Marlins cannot win. So why would anyone go to their games then...because of Willis. So no, this will never happen.

If you're making a response to my original post, I wasn't try analyze anything. I was merely stating the facts and looking at it from the Dbacks side. I have no idea what would be the better choice for the Marlins. For the Dbacks, this would obviously help them to win as well as sell tickets too.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates