Frank Robinson-in tears - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Frank Robinson-in tears

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
garf112 wrote:Crying? That's kind of ridiculous. He had to pull his catcher. Not a big deal.

It is a big deal to a guy that respects the traditions of the game. You don't make a defensive replacement mid-inning. It's basically calling out the guy in front of the fans and saying "you suck so badly I can't let you finish this inning in the field". Robinson understood that he'd put LeCroy into a situation that he just doesn't have the ability to deal with and he felt terrible about having to show LeCroy up by pulling him out of the game. He was a stand-up guy after the game and showed that he's a real class act. And I definitely feel badly for both of them...the Astros were making LeCroy look terrible at a position he's just not that good at playing. Since catcher isn't his main position you can't really hold his crappiness there against him but it doesn't make him feel any better as all of that was going on. And you can't blaim the Astros - they were just trying to win a game.

I was pulled mid-inning when I was a catcher in high school. I was having a bad day. I was a pretty good catcher, but on that day I overthrew second on a steal, couldn't handle a strike three and threw it into right, and made a couple of other mistakes. I was pulled. It was about 110 degrees with 100% humidity, and I was probably beginning to get dehydrated, which was why my play behind the plate was so eratic.

My coach did not cry when he took me out.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Fri May 26, 2006 12:42 pm

garf112 wrote:
garf112 wrote:Crying? That's kind of ridiculous. He had to pull his catcher. Not a big deal.

It is a big deal to a guy that respects the traditions of the game. You don't make a defensive replacement mid-inning. It's basically calling out the guy in front of the fans and saying "you suck so badly I can't let you finish this inning in the field". Robinson understood that he'd put LeCroy into a situation that he just doesn't have the ability to deal with and he felt terrible about having to show LeCroy up by pulling him out of the game. He was a stand-up guy after the game and showed that he's a real class act. And I definitely feel badly for both of them...the Astros were making LeCroy look terrible at a position he's just not that good at playing. Since catcher isn't his main position you can't really hold his crappiness there against him but it doesn't make him feel any better as all of that was going on. And you can't blaim the Astros - they were just trying to win a game.

I was pulled mid-inning when I was a catcher in high school. I was having a bad day. I was a pretty good catcher, but on that day I overthrew second on a steal, couldn't handle a strike three and threw it into right, and made a couple of other mistakes. I was pulled. It was about 110 degrees with 100% humidity, and I was probably beginning to get dehydrated, which was why my play behind the plate was so eratic.

1. It's completely understandable when it's that hot out. He might have seen that you were physically struggling and pulled you out for concern of your health.

2. How many people go to high school games? Is getting pulled in front of 40 people more embarrasing than a crowd that shows up for a professional baseball game? I doubt it.

3. You were a high school player. LeCroy is a major league player. Big swing in talent.

Seems like a different kind of situation to me.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 12:54 pm

cordscords wrote:
garf112 wrote:

1. It's completely understandable when it's that hot out. He might have seen that you were physically struggling and pulled you out for concern of your health.

2. How many people go to high school games? Is getting pulled in front of 40 people more embarrasing than a crowd that shows up for a professional baseball game? I doubt it.

3. You were a high school player. LeCroy is a major league player. Big swing in talent.

My point is just that there is no need for crying in this situation. Everyone, with an ounce of knowledge, in that ballpark knows that LeCroy is not really a major league catcher. It sucks that he had to pull him, but Frank should have never been put in this situation to begin with. They need to get him another catcher.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 26, 2006 1:06 pm

why in the world is Matthew LeCroy starting at catcher is totally beyond me. Frank Robinson is a nice guy and all, just not a very good baseball manager.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Fri May 26, 2006 1:06 pm

garf112 wrote:
cordscords wrote:
garf112 wrote:

My point is just that there is no need for crying in this situation. Everyone, with an ounch of knowledge, in that ballpark knows that LeCroy is not really a major league catcher. It sucks that he had to pull him, but Frank should have never been put in this situation to begin with. They need to get him another catcher.

Yesterday marked the 99th start he has ever made at catcher. Granted during those games I'm sure he was always a liability behind the plate, but in those 98 other starts he wasnt nearly as terrible as he was yesterday.

He went 98 games without embarrasing himself completely. He stunk up the place yesterday and it was embarrasing for him, frank, the team, and Nats fans. I would say it is pretty emotional for a guy like Frank. It's not like he was on his back, kicking his legs in the air, going "WAAHHHH!" I don't fault him for crying at all.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Fool42 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Frank's an emotional guy and he let them get the best of him. Just shows how much respect he has for his players. He knew it was wrong going in but he did it anyway and LeCroy looked like an idiot. Frank took that to heart because it was his fault for putting him in that position.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Fri May 26, 2006 1:12 pm

It had to be done and Lecroy even said it had to be done. 7 SB's is terrible even though they won.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby garf112 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:18 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:why in the world is Matthew LeCroy starting at catcher is totally beyond me. Frank Robinson is a nice guy and all, just not a very good baseball manager.

Frank had no choice. Schneider is hurt and Wiki Gonzalez suffered a concussion the night before. He had to bring in Fick, who is probably just as bad as LeCroy and their ULTRA-emergency catcher. I have my issues with his managerial choices sometimes, but this is not something I can fault him on.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby RAmst23 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:29 pm

I'm not sure everyone in this thread understood why LeCroy was starting, glad garf cleared that up. It's not like Frank wanted to start the guy, he had no catchers available on his squad.

I think people are getting too concerned over what a person should or shouldn't do. He cried, big deal. He can do what he wants. That's nice that your coach didn't cry, but Frank did because he felt bad that he had to put his player in that position.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 26, 2006 1:34 pm

garf112 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:why in the world is Matthew LeCroy starting at catcher is totally beyond me. Frank Robinson is a nice guy and all, just not a very good baseball manager.

Frank had no choice. Schneider is hurt and Wiki Gonzalez suffered a concussion the night before. He had to bring in Fick, who is probably just as bad as LeCroy and their ULTRA-emergency catcher. I have my issues with his managerial choices sometimes, but this is not something I can fault him on.

didn't know Wiki was out too
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers