Rollins, 6th??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rollins, 6th???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Thu May 25, 2006 9:00 pm

Geek wrote:
Armed and Hammered wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:i would stay away from rollins.. hes over rated coming into this season.. the only thing that makes him decent are his sbs, and when hes not doing that hes trash :-t stop making him out to be better then he is people :-t

Over 115 runs scored the last two years would help any team.

He's only played 5 full seasons. They avg out to .275 12 HR's 60 RBI's 35 steals and 100 runs a year in his only 5 yrs in the league. He is what he is and I would bet his numbers come very close to those career numbers before the year is over. He is 27 yrs old and there is no reason I can see that he doesn't turn this whole thing around again.

Not if he trashes your team batting average. He's the Adam Dunn of base stealers.

Except he's not stealing bases this year. He's averaging less than one steal attempt per week. That's horrible.

This is why he's called a buy low candidate. If he was performing magnificently, this post wouldn't exist. Yes, he's hitting badly now. Which is why you trade very little for him and hope he rebounds. And, as other posters have pointed out, he is expected to produce better numbers because he has in the past.

If you can get Rollins for cheap, go for it.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Thu May 25, 2006 9:04 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Geek wrote:
Armed and Hammered wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:i would stay away from rollins.. hes over rated coming into this season.. the only thing that makes him decent are his sbs, and when hes not doing that hes trash :-t stop making him out to be better then he is people :-t

Over 115 runs scored the last two years would help any team.

He's only played 5 full seasons. They avg out to .275 12 HR's 60 RBI's 35 steals and 100 runs a year in his only 5 yrs in the league. He is what he is and I would bet his numbers come very close to those career numbers before the year is over. He is 27 yrs old and there is no reason I can see that he doesn't turn this whole thing around again.

Not if he trashes your team batting average. He's the Adam Dunn of base stealers.

Except he's not stealing bases this year. He's averaging less than one steal attempt per week. That's horrible.

This is why he's called a buy low candidate. If he was performing magnificently, this post wouldn't exist. Yes, he's hitting badly now. Which is why you trade very little for him and hope he rebounds. And, as other posters have pointed out, he is expected to produce better numbers because he has in the past.

If you can get Rollins for cheap, go for it.

My point is that he's lost interest in stealing bases, for whatever reason. That's an entirely different situation from his hitting.

Bottom line is that Jimmy Rollins is very valuable if he steals 40+ bases, but is waiver wire material if he only steals 20.

Edited to add:

This is looking a LOT like his awful 2003 year.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 26, 2006 1:39 am

My thoughts are in the article linked in the sig.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby pangbones » Fri May 26, 2006 3:24 am

Geek wrote:
My point is that he's lost interest in stealing bases, for whatever reason. That's an entirely different situation from his hitting.

Bottom line is that Jimmy Rollins is very valuable if he steals 40+ bases, but is waiver wire material if he only steals 20.

Edited to add:

Waiver wire material?? Are you kidding? I think Rollins will be just fine. He'll get hot and get the avg up, and start scoring some runs. A SS that has 15 HR power, will score 100 + runs and steal 20 bags is Waiver wire material? I don't think so, but then again this is coming from the guy that said J Bay is a 7th round talent!! :-t
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Geek » Fri May 26, 2006 7:54 am

pangbones wrote:
Geek wrote:

Edited to add:

Waiver wire material?? Are you kidding? I think Rollins will be just fine. He'll get hot and get the avg up, and start scoring some runs. A SS that has 15 HR power, will score 100 + runs and steal 20 bags is Waiver wire material? I don't think so, but then again this is coming from the guy that said J Bay is a 7th round talent!! :-t

Rollins isn't going to hit 15 HR.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Fri May 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Geek wrote:
pangbones wrote:
Geek wrote:

Edited to add:

Rollins isn't going to hit 15 HR.

rollins isn't waiver wire material.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 26, 2006 1:36 pm

i'm benching him for Bill E. Hall next week. that and the "Jimmy Rollins You Suck" thread i am about to start should get him going
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm benching him for Bill E. Hall next week. that and the "Jimmy Rollins You Suck" thread i am about to start should get him going

Give me ample warning that you've started the Jimmy Rollins You Suck thread so I can get him back in my starting lineup. :-b
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers