"Cloaking device in 18 months"?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

"Cloaking device in 18 months"?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri May 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Yes, I realize normal people wouldn't have access to it. What is everyone in this thread talking about though? What they would do with it. Just making the point if it was something normal people could get (like the people here saying what they would do with it) then there would be some pretty big negatives.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 26, 2006 3:11 pm

acsguitar wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:As cool as this sounds, I can really only think of negative things that would come from this. VERY negative things.

Let's just hope this device, if it's ever developed(I hope not), don't get to the hand of sickos like acs :-D

Whatever you'd do the same thing I recommended

I'm not nearly as big a perv as you are :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 26, 2006 3:13 pm

If it is somehow developed I hope more than 1 em faction(is this a word) of the world gets it. It's like Nuclear weapons(before the Soviets stole the technology from the US), a monopoly of this technology can lead to some bad things.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri May 26, 2006 3:19 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:If it is somehow developed I hope more than 1 em faction(is this a word) of the world gets it. It's like Nuclear weapons(before the Soviets stole the technology from the US), a monopoly of this technology can lead to some bad things.

I don't think the world is safer because other countries besides the U.S. have The Bomb. I think it would be much, much safer if we were the only country with it.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shpuck » Fri May 26, 2006 3:23 pm

I hate to burst the bubble, but this will probably not be very useful for espionage and spying.

I read briefly the articles, and there was a good editorial on the items in question. Apparently, it's thought that within 5 years the devices would be available for radio waves, but it is going to be difficult to characterize a material for broadband light. Apparently these materials will work for narrow bandwidth light fairly easily, but there is a lot more materials engineering to make it broadband. Add to that the fact that the refractive indicies of the material must change as the cloak moves, it becomes more difficult to make a dyanmic (and thus acs's cheerleader observation system) cloak. SO, to actually have an invisibility cloak is much much farther away, if it is even possible.

In addition, the editorial states that these will not be very good for spying for a couple of reasons: Naturally, people can't see you in them, but since the light is being bent around you, you can't see out :)

Moreover, you wouldn't know where you put your always-invisible cloak when you go to the bathroom (much less where the bathroom is). (Ok, I added that last part about the toilet)
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby suppasonic » Sat May 27, 2006 12:42 pm

You guys can stop freaking out thinking this is the next nuclear bomb. All this will really do is make our aircraft undetectable to radar, which they already can come somewhat close to doing. If they were to develop an "invisible cloak" or something like that, it would either have to make space-time curve so much that the light would go around it, or it would render its user not invisible, but more as a blob running around with no identifyable features. A somewhat true example would be a more obvious version of the "active camo" from Halo. You can still see a blob running around, you just cant tell what it is.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk