Cubs Firesale....everyone on the block? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs Firesale....everyone on the block?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:53 pm

The problem is that Baker doesn't know how to manage during a game. He makes the dumbest subs, lineups, and pinch hit moves. The players like him because he's a nice guy and doesn't ever challenge them. So he's a great manager before and after games, not during.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 am

Jay Mariotti is the worst thing to happen to sports. I've never seen anyone so negative, and just makes up crap to cause drama. What a blow horn.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby os_gamejunkie » Fri May 26, 2006 12:25 am

Not done yet.

Keep Prior, Zambrano, Marshall, Walker, Aramis, Lee, Barrett and Murton.

Trade Jackie Jones for some bullpen help.

I can't remember if they picked up Pierre's option, but Felix Pie should be ready by next year.

Try to trade Wood now for team that's contending and needs immediate pitching...Mets, Phillies, Bo Sox, Yanks. The Mets are always good for bad deal....El Duque?

Sign a quality SP for in FA next year...Zito maybe.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Fri May 26, 2006 12:40 am

Braves will take Maddux back, Besides as soon as he retires he will be our pitching coach:)

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RugbyD » Fri May 26, 2006 1:15 am

Havok1517 wrote:The problem is that Baker doesn't know how to manage during a game. He makes the dumbest subs, lineups, and pinch hit moves. The players like him because he's a nice guy and doesn't ever challenge them. So he's a great manager before and after games, not during.

I agree. He's a players' manager, which is like a dad that's too busy trying to be you friend to have time to engage in any actual parenting. That may work for some squads, but not the Cubs. We need a Leyland-type. I was also really sad that Girardi didn't just wait one more year.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:32 am

wrveres wrote:Marrittio is an idiot in my book, he is the instigator number one in this whole Dusty Baker fiascal.

ah that's completely wrong.

dusty has done plenty in chicago to warrant the backlash against him. he's never had control of that clubhouse. he's never played younger players consistently. he's never realized how to manage a starting staff or bullpen. he's never done anything but have his players back. i mean i can understand that to a point, but sometimes you need to step up as a man and tell it how it is. the guy actually defended batting sosa fourth during sosas final unbearable season. he had his players back when they called into the radio booth, DURING A GAME, to scold the tv announcers for poo-pooing on the cubs(this eventually lead to chip carey and steve stones departure).

if you have any idea what mariotti does as a writer you shouldnt be this suprised over this. he bad mouths everyone in chicago. that's his job, he's a retard sensationalist who somehow became legitimate. no one here takes his crap seriously. to say mariotti had any effect on baker's current situation is really off base.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigZ38 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:33 am

What minor league players has Hendry traded away that have gone on to just blow up elsewhere?

Dontrelle Willis...Who did really good for the Cubs in low A ball, but with his funky delievery he wasn't considered anything great.

He traded Hundley for Karros and Grudz.
He traded Alex S. Gonzalez for Murton and Nomar.
He traded Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee.
He traded Jose Hernandez for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton.
Hell he traded Sosa for something.

Any Cub fan that tells you he was mad at the begining of the season that the Cubs traded Nolasco and Mitre and that other guy for Pierre is a liar.

The reason Dusty should go in my opinion is just how bad this team has been, and he hasn't blown up on the team, and won't. Look at the Tigers, Leyland went nuts and they rattled off a great stretch and are the best team in baseball.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:41 am

BigZ38 wrote:What minor league players has Hendry traded away that have gone on to just blow up elsewhere?

Dontrelle Willis...Who did really good for the Cubs in low A ball, but with his funky delievery he wasn't considered anything great.

Any Cub fan that tells you he was mad at the begining of the season that the Cubs traded Nolasco and Mitre and that other guy for Pierre is a liar.

The reason Dusty should go in my opinion is just how bad this team has been, and he hasn't blown up on the team, and won't. Look at the Tigers, Leyland went nuts and they rattled off a great stretch and are the best team in baseball.

they are a fundamentally unsound team.

the cubs have a winning percentage of .333 under dusty when they dont hit a homer. he's a completely overhyped steriod era coach.

and please dont blame hendry for the cubs woes. he has a salary cap placed on him by the piece of crap tribune company. the fact that the white sox have a higher payroll than you northsiders just shows how much of a joke your ownership is.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigZ38 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:54 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
BigZ38 wrote:What minor league players has Hendry traded away that have gone on to just blow up elsewhere?

the cubs have a winning percentage of .333 under dusty when they dont hit a homer. he's a completely overhyped steriod era coach.

and please dont blame hendry for the cubs woes. he has a salary cap placed on him by the piece of crap tribune company. the fact that the white sox have a higher payroll than you northsiders just shows how much of a joke your ownership is.

I'm not blaming Hendry. I'm saying Cub fans should be thanking Hendry because if he doesn't royally screw some teams the Cubs wouldn't have a team.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:57 am

BigZ38 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

I'm not blaming Hendry. I'm saying Cub fans should be thanking Hendry because if he doesn't royally screw some teams the Cubs wouldn't have a team.

yea i was actually just backing up your point. my bad, didnt make that completely apparent.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers