Cubs Firesale....everyone on the block? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs Firesale....everyone on the block?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Thu May 25, 2006 3:32 pm

If trades were executed on a per pound basis, Jerome Williams would bring back 2, possibly 3 good prospects.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 25, 2006 3:42 pm

I stopped acknowledging whats-his-face Sun-Times guy a long time ago. Though I did recognize someone that looks exactly like him drunk as hell at Harry's in St Louis when i was there for a Cubs game.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby yourgodsdice » Thu May 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Yeah, Mariotti is the reason why I hate around the horn.

I agree about letting Baker go though...not for Brenley. I think that would be a downgrade.
yourgodsdice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby CadensDad » Thu May 25, 2006 4:46 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I'd love for the Cubs to dump their "stars" of today for prospects. Get rid of Prior and Wood definately. I was just talking about this the other day with my friend that they need to rebuild completely and win a world series once every ten years like the Marlins do. ;-D

Marlins have won 2 series in the last 10 years 2003 over the Yankees and 1997 over the Indians the only other team to win 2 in that time span is......the Yankees.

Hmmmm Marlins smallest payroll in baseball with 2 rings

Yankess largest payroll in baseball with 2 rings.....

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BigZ38 » Thu May 25, 2006 4:59 pm

No way Aramis goes. The Cubs have had a gaping hole at third base for years and he has finally filled it. Pierre should be traded, Prior should be trade, Wood should be traded, and if anyone will take Jacque Jones they should get rid of him too. Keep Lee, Ramirez, Cedeno, Murton, Barrett, Marshall, Zambrano.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Later Maddux. Cedeno is nothing special.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Thu May 25, 2006 5:58 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I was just talking about this the other day with my friend that they need to rebuild completely and win a world series once every ten years like the Marlins do. ;-D

I really don't think the Marlins are a template for a successful organization.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WittyC » Thu May 25, 2006 9:42 pm

SeovyeQuirsefron wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:I was just talking about this the other day with my friend that they need to rebuild completely and win a world series once every ten years like the Marlins do. ;-D

I really don't think the Marlins are a template for a successful organization.

Seriously... it's like "Major League" over there. The ownership is doing everything within their power to make the team lose so they can move to Portland. But the people of Miami will probably break down, buy a new stadium, then watch another beautiful new complex fail to draw fans (see: MIL, KC, DET...).
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu May 25, 2006 10:37 pm

I agree. Baker should be fired. If he isnt fired, the Cubs will very well lose my fanship until a new manager and upper administration is found. They (McPhail, Hendry, Baker) have run the Cubs into the ground. I personally liked the Pierre move which hasnt worked out thus far. I thought signing Jones was absolutely ridiculous and turning down Tejada for Prior wasnt that smart either. The sooner Baker is fired, the happier I will be since they may have a chance at reducing the lopsided losses enough to lure me back into watching such a pitiful team.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby WittyC » Thu May 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:I agree. Baker should be fired. If he isnt fired, the Cubs will very well lose my fanship until a new manager and upper administration is found. They (McPhail, Hendry, Baker) have run the Cubs into the ground. I personally liked the Pierre move which hasnt worked out thus far. I thought signing Jones was absolutely ridiculous and turning down Tejada for Prior wasnt that smart either. The sooner Baker is fired, the happier I will be since they may have a chance at reducing the lopsided losses enough to lure me back into watching such a pitiful team.

I have to respectfully disagree with firing Baker.

I really think the guys respect him and play hard for him. The problem is a little higher up (McPhail, Hendry). They failed to prepare (again) for Wood and Prior's injuries. They've sold out most of the good talent in their farm system, and the rest simply didn't pan out. In their defense, the Tejada for Prior trade was never accepted by either side. It was pure spec.

If the axe falls, which it will, it should land on the neck of Larry Rothschild. He's killed the two best pitching prospects the Cubs have had in the last 20 years by not teaching them how to pitch. Maybe there are problems in the minor league system, too (evidence: Angel Guzman). Either way, Roths' gotta go.

At least Wood's contract is up after this year. I think Prior's competitive nature and desire to get paid will have him coming back healthy as a solid number two to Zamby this year and next. Now that Jones is playing well, we might be able to dump him on the Yanks and get Pie up.

If it were up to me... Hendry and Rothschild get the axe.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers