What is it about your favorite players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is it about your favorite players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ChoneJohn » Thu May 25, 2006 2:11 pm

John Smoltz

As a Tiger fan, it was crushing to watch him pitch for the Braves after we let him go. Regardless, this man plays the game the way it was meant to be played, and he has reinvented himself several times during his career. He's humble, hard-throwin', and versatile (his bat ain't bad, either!)...what else can you ask for? This may be the only guy from my generation for whom I'd attend a Cooperstown ceremony.

Aw hell, Smoltzie, make a run for Prez! ;-D
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hotlanta » Thu May 25, 2006 2:13 pm

:-B

Just shows you how easy he is to adore.
Hotlanta
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yossarian » Thu May 25, 2006 2:22 pm

I gotta say I'm becoming a big fan of David Wright's. I live in NYC, and seeing as I'm not too fond of the Yankees, I started rooting for the Mets 4 or 5 years ago. Since Wright was called up a couple years ago, I've been able to watch him develop as the Mets are on TV all the time here. Outside of his obvious baseball talents, he comes across as a really good teammate, with a good attitude who always seems to be enjoying the game. I think, barring injuries, he has a big future ahead of him.

I've always been a little fond of Ortiz too. Who doesn't like Big Papi? :-D
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby option245 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Smoltz is on the top of my list as well as Maddux and Glavine. But my favorite player of all time is Fred McGriff. His swing was great and the back swing over the head was classic. :-D
option245
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:43 pm

1. ALBERT BELLE- Because he took my favorite team from a 100 loss club to 100 wins and making the playoffs every year. and he is the best player ive ever seen.

2. Frank Thomas- Just always loved him, dont think he gets enough cred.

3. Gary Sheffield- because of his stance, wich i use in college ;-D

4. Kenny Lofton- Because besides Rickey he is the best leadoff hitter ive ever seen, and i am huge Indians fan.

5. Wily Mo Pena- just have a damn crush on the guy :-o
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:1. ALBERT BELLE- Because he took my favorite team from a 100 loss club to 100 wins and making the playoffs every year. and he is the best player ive ever seen.

Strikingly similar comment can be made about Bonds and the Pirates. I never really thought of the two as parallels at all, but maybe there's something to be said about that.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 pm

I also love the trash talker since i myself is one... he is one of the most unliked players in baseball you all know who it is...
its AJ
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby WittyC » Thu May 25, 2006 11:54 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I also love the trash talker since i myself is one... he is one of the most unliked players in baseball you all know who it is...
its AJ

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :-P

The only player I really like for a good reason is Maddux. He's smart, witty and one of the all-time masters of his craft. I still get a funny feeling (like when we climbed the rope in gym class) when I think about that two-seamer running back across the outside corner.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Hotlanta » Fri May 26, 2006 6:55 am

yossarian wrote:I've always been a little fond of Ortiz too. Who doesn't like Big Papi? :-D

I think I might be your man, he bugs the bejeezus out of me. And quite how you can be a clubhouse leader when you can barely speak the language is lost on me.

Great hitter though....... :-D
Hotlanta
College Coach
College Coach

Postby vladrules » Fri May 26, 2006 9:06 am

As a youngster, I enjoyed Will "the Thrill" Clark. Not really sure why I liked. As a kid, you're easily persuaded so maybe it was the name or the fact that he was a good player that I always seemed to hear about. I emulated his batting stance. Not sure why but I liked him. Can't recall any other players that I like when I was younger.

Most of my favorite players were from the Expos since they were my home team. Pedro,

Ever since Vlad came on to the seen, he's my fav. My bro and I love the guy since we're Expos fans. 5 tool player, baby! We were in awe of his abilities. Throwing out a runner at 3B from RF (close to the warning track), his violent swings, his infectious smile. Serious man crush!! We loved reading about his story. If I recall, he was a tryout for LAD. Wearing different shoes, he hurt himself running to first base. FFerreira felt really bad for the kid because he tried really hard. Love the LAD for also giving us PJ for Delino Deshields.

Too bad Expos gave up on JBay. Mtl drafted him in 22nd rd in 2000.

Long live Vlad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers