What is it about your favorite players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is it about your favorite players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is it about your favorite players

Postby damonhater » Thu May 25, 2006 12:50 pm

Why do you like them so much. As a kid growing up did you like the players that made the most money? You know, the one's with the fat contracts and endorsements. The kind that go from team to team looking for the almighty dollar.

Why do people become infatuated with players who make tons of money but are bores.

Can you say A-Rod
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu May 25, 2006 12:53 pm

How do A-Rod haters always find a way to mention A-Rod in every post they make? :-?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby damonhater » Thu May 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:How do A-Rod haters always find a way to mention A-Rod in every post they make? :-?

Because he sucks the cheese out of a dead rat's rump
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jlm53089 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:56 pm

I like jim thome, cuz when i was 12 he was on my fantasy team and he was my best player so ive always loved the man, i love every devil rya becuase i am a devil ray, but my top 3 hitters ever are
1. thome
2. shawn green
3. jeff bagwell

pitchers
1. billy wagner
2. scott kazmir
3. zumaya
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby damonhater » Thu May 25, 2006 1:02 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I like jim thome, cuz when i was 12 he was on my fantasy team and he was my best player so ive always loved the man, i love every devil rya becuase i am a devil ray, but my top 3 hitters ever are
1. thome
2. shawn green
3. jeff bagwell

pitchers
1. billy wagner
2. scott kazmir
3. zumaya

I am nuts about Thome now. Preseason a guy had a man crush on Aramis Ramirez and offered me Utley who i wanted badly and Thome as a throw in. Needless to say I accepted.
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:05 pm

When I was really young it was Willie Stargell, then Bill Madlock. Then, in 1986, I saw a double-header at Wrigley Field. A young rookie won the first game for the Pirates with a double, and he won the second game with a home-run. That rookie was Barry Bonds, and he became my favorite from that day forward.

I consider myself too old to have a favorite player now, but I do have a special place in my heart for any pitcher who gets by on intelligence and craft, as opposed to pure stuff....because that's what I was.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby damonhater » Thu May 25, 2006 1:21 pm

mak1277 wrote:When I was really young it was Willie Stargell, then Bill Madlock. Then, in 1986, I saw a double-header at Wrigley Field. A young rookie won the first game for the Pirates with a double, and he won the second game with a home-run. That rookie was Barry Bonds, and he became my favorite from that day forward.

I consider myself too old to have a favorite player now, but I do have a special place in my heart for any pitcher who gets by on intelligence and craft, as opposed to pure stuff....because that's what I was.

Thank you very much for this intelligent post. Exactly what i have been trying to tell these IT instant gratification me me me types nowadays. Pops Stargell had a quality about him that made you like him. As does David Ortiz.
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 25, 2006 1:26 pm

I love players who play the game the way it was meant to be played. Simply put, the ones who play it because they love playing it, not because they get paid to play it. We can get pissed at players who get paid millions, but, let's face it, we are basically the ones paying them. We pay so much attention to them and their sport, the MLB teams pay them to stick around, to keep them happy. I don't like it, but I'm not going to stop watching.

I grew up loving Bo Jackson and Ricky Henderson.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby damonhater » Thu May 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I love players who play the game the way it was meant to be played. Simply put, the ones who play it because they love playing it, not because they get paid to play it. We can get pissed at players who get paid millions, but, let's face it, we are basically the ones paying them. We pay so much attention to them and their sport, the MLB teams pay them to stick around, to keep them happy. I don't like it, but I'm not going to stop watching.

I grew up loving Bo Jackson and Ricky Henderson.

Sorry to say i am old enough to have seen Pete Rose in his prime. Talk about playing the game the game the way it was supposed to be played! I was a Big Red Machine fan back then, Bench being my all time favorite player.
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hotlanta » Thu May 25, 2006 2:09 pm

I love John Smoltz.

His never say die attitude on the mound, a true leader and perhaps the most intelligent man in the game. The way he's been able to adapt to anything asked of him astounds me. Just look at him this year, the arm isn't as rubber as it used to be ( ;-7 ) so he took 5 mph off his fastball and developed a more 'flexible' approach. Yet there's no learning curve, he's straight in there getting results. Picks up the ball and wins you games.

It will be a sad day in baseball when he hangs up his glove.
Hotlanta
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers