Who are your favorite baseball commentators - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are your favorite baseball commentators

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:07 am

I've always liked Dan Shulman as a commentator.

Is he more of a radio guy with ESPN now?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby orange12 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:06 am

Jon Miller tops my list. Especially the year or two he was the Giants radio announcer. He has the smoothest voice, perfect for radio.

Unfortunately, Miller probably set the standard too high and I never liked Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper. (Okay, you hit one homerun in your career... I get it. Stop beating the dead horse.)

BTW, nothing can be worse than whoever the Padres have on radio. I swear the first time I moved to SD and turned on the radio I thought drunken, incoherent, hobos had taken over the annoucing booth.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zevon » Thu May 25, 2006 8:49 am

orange12 wrote:Jon Miller tops my list. Especially the year or two he was the Giants radio announcer. He has the smoothest voice, perfect for radio.

Unfortunately, Miller probably set the standard too high and I never liked Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper. (Okay, you hit one homerun in your career... I get it. Stop beating the dead horse.)

BTW, nothing can be worse than whoever the Padres have on radio. I swear the first time I moved to SD and turned on the radio I thought drunken, incoherent, hobos had taken over the annoucing booth.

That'd be Ted Leitner on Pads radio, a clown from local sprots news. Big step down from Jerry Coleman.

Not a Dodger fan, but Scully is The Man. Very refreshing to listen to his unbiased knowledgeable broadcasts, with no commentator to initiate the old "well when I was playing" conversations that take away from the broadcast (see:Joe Morgan).

Love Harold Reynolds and hope he gets a bigtime gig. The man knows the game and speaks intelligently about the finer points without the condescending comments (see:Morgan, in football, Theisman - the second most annoying announcer on TV).

So who's the most annoying to me?
Hands down, Buck and McCarver, with Harrelson a close second.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Thu May 25, 2006 11:23 am

McCarver tops my list of annoying guys, mostly because he is so singularly pompous and bombastic. Chris Berman is another guy I can't stand. Ken Harrelson is terrible, and Miller and Morgan are tough to swallow. For some reason Singleton annoys me as well.

I agree that Stone is pretty good, but as a Dodger fan I have to give it to Scully as the best. I like Buck Martinez too.

The most underrated bad announcer, however, is Ron Darling. He had a short tenure for the National last season, and he was so banal that they might as well have played dead air instead.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ChoneJohn » Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 am

Well, this Michigan boy, who now lives in L.A. has two:

My early years - Ernie Harwell ;-D

Now - Vin Scully ;-D

I've been blessed to enjoy both of them calling games. They're both the epitome of class...something that is missing more and more from our society today.
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:42 am

As a play by play man myself here are my thoughts:

Best combo team I ever heard was Sterling and Kay. As a kid before going to sleep, putting my headphones on and listening to them call a game was both funny and entertaining. Now watching and listening them separately is not good, although Steiner and Sterling weren't awful.

The best one man: That's obvious since there is only one guy who does a game by himself. When I'm tired upset, or frustrated, Vin Scully finds a way to make all my cares go away.

ESPN people: There are so few that I could listen to- Stone, the red headed guy, and Orel Hersheiser. Miller and Morgan forget, Morgan's opinions are always right according to him, and "that guy Billy Beane who wrote Moneyball are opinions always wrong." Another classic Morganism is, "Olmedo Saenz is one of the best right handed power hitters in baseball."

Good local TV people:
1)The Giants guys have a way of making me laugh, and I think the Krukow brothers parents should be proud. The other brother does a good job with the A's I believe.
2)The Detroit Tigers people are ok.
3)The Red Sox people I dont mind. Even as a Yankee fan.
4)Thom Brennaman and Mark grace for the Diamondbacks are fun to listen to.
5)Josh (cant spell his last name) for the Texas Rangers is a good play by play man.
6)The Cincinatti Reds team is good with the former ESPN sportscenter anchor.
7)Harry Kalas- a legend though his crew members LA, Wheels and Graham cracker all stink. His son Todd will one day take over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays play by play position.
8)The Los Angeles Angels guys- One of them is a Temple U grad.
9)The Milwaukee Brewers team- like the actual Brewers they are young and up and coming.
10)Bob Brenly- A great human being whom I had the pleasure of talking to when the Cubs came to Philly. We sat and talked baseball for 30 minutes before BP. Maybe the greatest single conversation I've ever had in my life. It was him, Matt Lawton, (had just been traded the day before to the Cubs) GREG MADDUX and I, while I was working for the WB affiliate in Philadelphia. Since it is owned by the Tribune company which also owns WGN, the Chicago Network called and asked me to conduct interviews. What a thrill. (Sorry for getting sidetracked)

Bad Local TV people:
1)Hawk Harrelson- I actually wish bad things about him and refuse to watch White Sox games on the MLB package.
2)Buck Martinez- If there is a guy that has a more annoying voice and call style I haven't found him.
3)The Washington Nationals crew- They are so disorganized and more importantly, so boring.
4)Susan Waltman- Should stick to singing opera
5)Ron Darling- Just dont like the guy, that's personal.

Granted these are only my opinions but if I ever make it to the MLB as a play by play guy, and if you're wondering I do some side work with the Wilmington Blue Rocks an affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, those are guys I will get some of my better qualities from.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Thu May 25, 2006 11:54 am

I personally enjoy Dave O'Brien and Dan Shulman.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cryptic » Thu May 25, 2006 11:56 am

great - harwell, scully

good - stone, kaat, rangers, pirates, orioles, indians
bad - kay, harrelson, mariners (yawn), brewers and giants (homers)
ugly - morgan and reynolds (terrible), susan waldman (HOW does she have a job????)
Cryptic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Thu May 25, 2006 6:10 pm

Without writing far more than anybody here would bother to read, it is impossible for me to explain the love and appreciation I have for Vin Scully. A wordsmith, a historian, a storyteller, a dramatist -- and above all the consummate gentleman.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WittyC » Thu May 25, 2006 11:04 pm

TN_Titans_05 wrote:
giants8307 wrote:Great: Jon Miller and Vin Skully

Bad: Braves annoucers

Keith Jackson is the best I've heard in any sport, however.

Hmmm I have to say I totally disagree with everything you said but Skully. Jon Miller blows arse. He acts like he is of hispanic decent or something when he pronounces foreign players names. Its annoying as hell. Vicente Padeeeya. Wilson Baaatameat. just off the top of my head. He butchers them.

Call me a homer, but the Braves anouncers are great. Skip Carey is by far the best to listen to. Not a big fan of Sutton but the rest are good at what they do and entertaining. How much have you actaully had to listen to them to know you dont like them anyway???

Skip Carey is pretty close to the worst I've ever heard. Remember when RJ threw the perfect game? He had so little enthusiasm, if you'd come into that game after the seventh inning, you'd have had no idea RJ was on his way to perfection. None. His dad and son are both far superior.

Scully is amazing; Stone, Hershiser and Miller are among my favorites.

Call me a homer, but I love Hughes/Santo on Cubs radio. They're seriously like a comedy team with Hughes as the straight man and Santo as the loveable oaf.

I lived with a White Sox fan last year, and by the time interleague play roled around I was about ready to shove an icepick through my skull listening to DJ and Hawk. It was the first time I was ever glad the home announcers weren't allowed to do the WS.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers