Baseball swing vs. Slowpitch softball swing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball swing vs. Slowpitch softball swing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball swing vs. Slowpitch softball swing

Postby chadlincoln » Wed May 24, 2006 3:37 pm

I'm starting to play in a men's slow pitch softball league. I've played baseball all my life. What's different about the swings if anything? Any tips?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm

It's different...at least I approach it that way. The bottom line is similar in that you want to make solid contact but...

With slow-pitch, I have more of an uppercut swing and use more of a leg lift...a la Manny (not quite Saduharah Oh though). You can also wait for "your pitch" and be a little more patient with slow-pitch.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 24, 2006 3:49 pm

I spent quite a few years in between fast pitch and slow pitch. It will take you a while to adjust. We've got some guys that played college fairly recently and they had a hard time adjusting to the swing. The main different is the speed, obviously, but not just the speed of the ball. Your bat/wrists don't need to be as quick, initially, as in baseball. Don't need to rush it. You can literally watch the ball hit your bat by staring at it the entire way. Best advice: Don't try to crush it everytime to start out. You'll just pop out everytime. Line drives to get you started. You don't need big cuts in slow pitch, until you get used to the speed of the pitch. I've seen very good baseball players actually strike out because they are trying to crush the ball like you have to to get a baseball to leave the infield.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 24, 2006 4:00 pm

The beauty of slow pitch is that it's easy as pie to hit directionally. If you have decent bat control, you should be able to pick your holes and just slap singles all day long. Then, when other teams start moving up on you because they think all you can do is smack singles around, power up and crush it to keep them honest.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:The beauty of slow pitch is that it's easy as pie to hit directionally. If you have decent bat control, you should be able to pick your holes and just slap singles all day long. Then, when other teams start moving up on you because they think all you can do is smack singles around, power up and crush it to keep them honest.

Yeah, it's pretty fun to do that. I'm a small guy, but you don't have to be big to get an aluminum bat on a ball and make it travel. I love it when the outfielders scoot up after I've dropped a couple in front of them. I'm basically guarateed a triple if I can get it over their heads.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed May 24, 2006 5:02 pm

I've found keeping my left leg straight gets me the uppercut to drive it into the gaps. If only I had some 20 something legs instead of 38 year old models... :-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Waiting on the ball in softball is the key. I play baseball and softball and I have a harder time somtimes in softball due to waiting
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 24, 2006 5:14 pm

I like to try and get as much power out of an opposite-field swing as I do out of a pull swing b/c people will always play the shift, especially in the first AB. To do this, I don't get in a hitting stance until i know where the ball if going to land and just reposition myself to take a regular cut facing towards the other field somewhat. Works great for deep strikes.

timing it still the key though. the best advice is wait wait wait wait wait.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Wed May 24, 2006 5:28 pm

Softball is becoming a major joke unless you play in HR-limited league. A top of the line ASA legal bat can still let an average hitter slap the ball out of 330 ft parks (which is usually the upper end of softball fields). Even worse is to play in unregulated tourneys. Everyone and their grandmas are hitting 400 ft pop-flys with an Ultra II.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 24, 2006 6:09 pm

I play in a HR limited league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk