Need Some BJ Upton Insight... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need Some BJ Upton Insight...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Prooks25 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:11 pm

hybrid wrote:Just to show you mean I mean by his errors last year and this year.

Last year he had 38 fielding errors and 15 throwing.
This year only 5 fielding errors and 12 throwing.

So as you can see he has improved fielding by quite a bit, projected to make 15 or so this year by fielding. If he can get a handle on his throws (I really hope he does) he might get this defense thing down.

But with Julio Lugo in his way, and the D'Rays still one of the cheapest teams in baseball...who knows when he'll get a chance.

All I know is that normally, if you have an MLB ready bat like Upton does, they'll look past the defense and let you work it out in the majors (ie Ricky Weeks). The D'Rays just don't wanna pay the kid, start his clock and alla that fun stuff.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed May 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Prooks25 wrote:But with Julio Lugo in his way, and the D'Rays still one of the cheapest teams in baseball...who knows when he'll get a chance.

All I know is that normally, if you have an MLB ready bat like Upton does, they'll look past the defense and let you work it out in the majors (ie Ricky Weeks). The D'Rays just don't wanna pay the kid, start his clock and alla that fun stuff.

Actually this is Lugo's last year on his contract and they would have to pay more to keep him around. So if he proves he can play there things open up quite a bit for him.

Upton was given the chance to switch to another position where he would be major league ready sooner, but decided to stay at SS. That's why he is in the minors, not due to them not wanting to start his clock. When a kid makes that many errors, you can't start him really. Weeks wasn't that bad in the minors and plays a less important position.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Prooks25 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 pm

hybrid wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:But with Julio Lugo in his way, and the D'Rays still one of the cheapest teams in baseball...who knows when he'll get a chance.

Actually this is Lugo's last year on his contract and they would have to pay more to keep him around. So if he proves he can play there things open up quite a bit for him.

Upton was given the chance to switch to another position where he would be major league ready sooner, but decided to stay at SS. That's why he is in the minors, not due to them not wanting to start his clock. When a kid makes that many errors, you can't start him really. Weeks wasn't that bad in the minors and plays a less important position.

Good points Hybrid...I wasn't aware of this being Lugo's last year on his contract. So in your opinion, would you say Upton is basically a LOCK to start next season?
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby hybrid » Wed May 24, 2006 4:45 pm

I'm not sure if he is a lock, but it would be pretty close. As you can see he has improved his fielding, now he just needs to get his throwing back and improve on it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 24, 2006 8:53 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Since he has a great arm they should have him try to do the Dunston...field the ball, run about a third of the way to first base and then try to kill the first baseman with the throw. I bet he'd cut down on his errors if he tried to knock the first baseman down with every throw. ;-D

:-D Nice one, as long as he quits trying to hit me with the ball when I sit behind the firstbasemen I will be happy. ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fubashi » Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 pm

So, when is Upton coming up to the show then?
Fubashi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 24, 2006 9:28 pm

Fubashi wrote:So, when is Upton coming up to the show then?

Who knows?? Possibly right around the trade deadline if Lugo is traded before the trading deadline.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers