Need Some BJ Upton Insight... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need Some BJ Upton Insight...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Some BJ Upton Insight...

Postby Prooks25 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:22 am

I'm in a 16 team keeper league, and I have been holding BJ for 3 years now...only to get a few games out of him. He's always been such a highly touted prospect, especially at a shallow position like SS.

I'm starting to wonder if I should move him...He's only batting .280 in AAA, not showing much power, still sucks in the field, all he does real well is steal. Do you guys think he is still worth holding on to, or should I try and deal him. (I've been counting on him to be my starting SS for years now, I need his speed and such, so I've basically been going with fill in SS's just to buy time).
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 am

Well first off I wouldn't worry about his numbers in the minors. He will be a .300 hitter with some good power (20+ hr), the only number to worry about is the number of errors. There is a good chance he could move off SS to 3B or even the OF. So if you really are looking for just a SS, you might want to look around and see what you can get for him. He has improved his fielding though, as his errors are mostly coming from throws now (not that it is good news) instead of fielding like last year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 24, 2006 11:50 am

As Hybrid said, I would not worry about his hitting. He was actually hitting over .300 about a week ago, but has gone in a little funk here the last week. He will be a .300 hitter, 20 home run power, and 35 steals player in the majors. The only question is whether it will be at SS or CF. I think if I have held onto him this long, I would give him at least til the rest of this year, unless a super deal came along.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ukjohn » Wed May 24, 2006 12:37 pm

I think he is overrated big time
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed May 24, 2006 1:19 pm

ukjohn wrote:I think he is overrated big time

He's not even close being overrated.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Prooks25 » Wed May 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks guys...I was actually watching a highlight video on him a few weeks back which included his hitting and fielding...He is some kind of talent, his swing is incredible, he has the strongest arm I've ever seen, incredible range in the field, it just seems like he has mental lapses when he makes his errors.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 24, 2006 2:50 pm

Yoda wrote:
ukjohn wrote:I think he is overrated big time

He's not even close being overrated.

I used to go watch him play in Charleston.. He's overrated.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Prooks25 wrote:Thanks guys...I was actually watching a highlight video on him a few weeks back which included his hitting and fielding...He is some kind of talent, his swing is incredible, he has the strongest arm I've ever seen, incredible range in the field, it just seems like he has mental lapses when he makes his errors.

You got Upton covered. A huge majority of his errors come on the "easy" play hit right to him, any play where he has to go get it, he usually handles with ease. The plays where he has time to think are the plays where his errors (mostly throwing this year) are coming from.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 24, 2006 3:52 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:Thanks guys...I was actually watching a highlight video on him a few weeks back which included his hitting and fielding...He is some kind of talent, his swing is incredible, he has the strongest arm I've ever seen, incredible range in the field, it just seems like he has mental lapses when he makes his errors.

You got Upton covered. A huge majority of his errors come on the "easy" play hit right to him, any play where he has to go get it, he usually handles with ease. The plays where he has time to think are the plays where his errors (mostly throwing this year) are coming from.

Since he has a great arm they should have him try to do the Dunston...field the ball, run about a third of the way to first base and then try to kill the first baseman with the throw. I bet he'd cut down on his errors if he tried to knock the first baseman down with every throw. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby hybrid » Wed May 24, 2006 4:05 pm

Just to show you mean I mean by his errors last year and this year.

Last year he had 38 fielding errors and 15 throwing.
This year only 5 fielding errors and 12 throwing.

So as you can see he has improved fielding by quite a bit, projected to make 15 or so this year by fielding. If he can get a handle on his throws (I really hope he does) he might get this defense thing down.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers