Hamels scratched from start tomorrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hamels scratched from start tomorrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed May 24, 2006 3:27 am

please don't let it be the rotator cuff :-o

And this sucks. Now I'm going to have to hope he gets put on the DL quickly if need be so I can pick up a replacement.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed May 24, 2006 3:57 am

ravenmad22 wrote:"Pops?" That sounds like bad news.

Here's what I looked up from NIAMS.gov

What Are the Signs of a Torn Rotator Cuff?

Typically, a person with a rotator cuff injury feels pain over the deltoid muscle at the top and outer side of the shoulder, especially when the arm is raised or extended out from the side of the body. Motions like those involved in getting dressed can be painful. The shoulder may feel weak, especially when trying to lift the arm into a horizontal position. A person may also feel or hear a click or pop when the shoulder is moved.

:-o :~(

If he has a torn rotator cuff, I guarantee he will have complained of more than soreness, I doubt he could throw at all. I doubt he would be able to bear the pain of throwing from the outfield.

Pops in joints are usually a result of gases escaping the joint capsule, muscles or tendons moving, or rough surfaces. I think for now we can rule out the latter as it's not likely he has arthritis in his shoulder joint.

The 'pop' that people hear when they rupture their Cruciate Ligaments in their knee is a result of that ligament snapping. There aren't really any ligaments in the shoulder girdle that would rupture during throwing, and again, I doubt there would be multiple.

Sounds to me like he may have a little rotator cuff tendonitis, and as a result the muscular structure in his shoulder may be a little altered (some tighter than usual) or his throwing mechanics may have changed as a result.

Don't stress about this yet. I doubt VERY much we are talking a torn rotator.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 am

RynMan wrote:
ravenmad22 wrote:"Pops?" That sounds like bad news.

Here's what I looked up from NIAMS.gov

What Are the Signs of a Torn Rotator Cuff?

Typically, a person with a rotator cuff injury feels pain over the deltoid muscle at the top and outer side of the shoulder, especially when the arm is raised or extended out from the side of the body. Motions like those involved in getting dressed can be painful. The shoulder may feel weak, especially when trying to lift the arm into a horizontal position. A person may also feel or hear a click or pop when the shoulder is moved.

:-o :~(

If he has a torn rotator cuff, I guarantee he will have complained of more than soreness, I doubt he could throw at all. I doubt he would be able to bear the pain of throwing from the outfield.

Pops in joints are usually a result of gases escaping the joint capsule, muscles or tendons moving, or rough surfaces. I think for now we can rule out the latter as it's not likely he has arthritis in his shoulder joint.

The 'pop' that people hear when they rupture their Cruciate Ligaments in their knee is a result of that ligament snapping. There aren't really any ligaments in the shoulder girdle that would rupture during throwing, and again, I doubt there would be multiple.

Sounds to me like he may have a little rotator cuff tendonitis, and as a result the muscular structure in his shoulder may be a little altered (some tighter than usual) or his throwing mechanics may have changed as a result.

Don't stress about this yet. I doubt VERY much we are talking a torn rotator.

That makes me feel better. Honestly I just Googled "pop" and "shoulder" and that's what it came up with.

I hope it's minor but also that he misses at least a couple starts just to be safe.

Thanks for the analysis RynMan.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willy-t » Wed May 24, 2006 7:56 am

Oh my god, you couldn't write this stuff. Injury prone stud prospect comes up and gives thousands of fantasy owners a hardon. Then gets injured after 2 starts, cue mass dismay.

Hope he's OK cos he seems like a great prospect, but a part of enjoys the fact that people got so carried away, and now this happens.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 24, 2006 9:09 am

awww....the Savior has a boo-boo :~(
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MinorityAuthority » Wed May 24, 2006 9:18 am

I wonder how many people spent their top 3 waiver on him. Oops. :-D
MinorityAuthority
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikegp » Wed May 24, 2006 9:25 am

Kerry Wood 2.0? :-D
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Wed May 24, 2006 9:34 am

MinorityAuthority wrote:I wonder how many people spent their top 3 waiver on him. Oops. :-D

I did. :~( :-P
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 24, 2006 10:25 am

mikegp wrote:Kerry Wood 2.0? :-D

:-t

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 24, 2006 10:54 am

Can someone direct me to the nearest cliff?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers