Putz in the 9th, down 5-4 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Putz in the 9th, down 5-4

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 24, 2006 1:46 am

ummmm are you guys on crack????? guardado didnt pitch TONIGHT, he pitched LAST NIGHT. Putz came in tonight while the mariners were losing. Now why would they pitch Putz for the 4th time in 5 days in a losing situation and then hes unavailable for tomorrow's night game as well????? i wasnt even talking about his performance tonight which doesnt mean anything because him even pitching tonight tells me he is not the closer anymore for the mariners.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Wed May 24, 2006 1:55 am

Eddie is back, boys.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Wed May 24, 2006 2:31 am

I wonder if Putz is one of those guys who can only close, and is just not the same pitcher in other situations.

Gagne is like that. As a closer he was -- and let us pray still is -- GAME OVER. But when he's been called on to do anything but close, he's just not the same pitcher. Remember when Hank Blalock took him deep, deep, deep in the All-Star game during his Cy Young year. That was in the 8th inning. Dusty Baker wanted to give John Smoltz the honor of closing, which was fair enough. Dusty just failed to realize that while Smoltz can pitch under any circumstances, Gagne can only close.

I don't know much about Putz, but is it possible he has the same gift/problem?
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fbc_fan » Wed May 24, 2006 3:15 am

SeovyeQuirsefron wrote:I wonder if Putz is one of those guys who can only close, and is just not the same pitcher in other situations.

Gagne is like that. As a closer he was -- and let us pray still is -- GAME OVER. But when he's been called on to do anything but close, he's just not the same pitcher. Remember when Hank Blalock took him deep, deep, deep in the All-Star game during his Cy Young year. That was in the 8th inning. Dusty Baker wanted to give John Smoltz the honor of closing, which was fair enough. Dusty just failed to realize that while Smoltz can pitch under any circumstances, Gagne can only close.

I don't know much about Putz, but is it possible he has the same gift/problem?

putz was fine throughout the year in non-save situations before he got the closer job. though his lines from the previous two years make me wonder if he was really that good in any situation. he and soriano have been amazing all year though, so credit where credit is due.
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby number9 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 am

Putz apparently developed a splitter (I think) over the winter which made him real tough to hit in April. Maybe hitters are catching on now? A late inning 1 run deficit situation is higher leverage than a 9th inning 3 run lead situation, so the best reliever should be used in the former situation and not necessarily in the latter, but the save stat skews how managers use their relievers.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 24, 2006 6:26 am

I hope this is a sign. I need Eddie to get his job back.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 24, 2006 9:07 am

:-? dont teams sometimes bring in their best reliever (ie closer) late in a game when they are down by a run to shut down the other team and give their O a shot to win it?

i'm just glad i dont have any part of this situation
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby pangbones » Wed May 24, 2006 9:49 am

Xtreemes wrote:
Guardado hasn't given up a run since May 3rd, he's pitching much better. Hargrove has said repeatedly that he wants to get Guardado back into the closers role eventually. No one is saying that he is back right now, but I don't know how you can act like Guardado has no chance of getting the closers job back.

No, but he did give up back to back RBI singles in the 8th on Saturday, and Putz had to bail him out with a four out save.

Last night certainly didn't do Putz any good, but I don't think Guardado is the closer for now. Hargrove may be waiting for an excuse to give Eddie the job back, and this could be it. Putz has been very good all year, so I'd hope 1 bad outing doesn't do him in.

As Putz owner I am VERY concerned. Eddie getting the save on Monday wasn't a big deal since Putz had pitched 3 straight games, but last nights performance was/is a big deal. :-o
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers