Draft strategy in deep leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft strategy in deep leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft strategy in deep leagues

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue May 23, 2006 8:39 pm

My friend recently got me into a big league of his that needed a manager. It's 16 teams. I tend to play smaller leagues but figured I'd try a big one.

My question is, with the 10th pick, I obviously will still take a top hitter first, but should I bite the bullet and draft a top tier pitcher with the 2nd round pick (23 overall)? I mean I usually never take a pitcher before the third round but with such a deep league do I need that one ace?

Roto btw, these are the stats if it helps whether I should nab an ace: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9

Draft at 9, I'd appreciate any input. :-)

Btw, I didn't mean to make this an individual thread about my team, it's about strategy in deep leagues.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TEKTON » Tue May 23, 2006 8:58 pm

snag pedro. if possible , take 2 aces and let them set you apart from the rest in era and k/9.
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Tue May 23, 2006 9:14 pm

I'd still take a hitter with the 2nd pick. They'll be even less of them with a deep league, and pitchers will still be a crap shoot.

Deep leagues really change the drafting. You should still set up your cheatsheets, but drafting a guy in the 6th that would normally go in the 10th still feels wrong even though its the right thing to do.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers