I offer my technical advice through this forum - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

I offer my technical advice through this forum

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I offer my technical advice through this forum

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 23, 2006 4:56 pm

So if you need advice with running games. Hardware issues with games, tweaks with games, recommendations. Just ask me.

;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 29, 2006 2:14 am

You play MVP 05 for PC still? If so, you hang out over at http://www.mvpmods.com? I just got back from vacation, so I'm not sure if the new roster set is done yet, but it looked completely insane with Total Minors. If I can get my PC running tomorrow, which I hope I can, I'll check 'er out. Do you know if EA's 07 games will be next gen., and if so, would you be able to help me make it financially workable for me to upgrade my PC to where it should be to run them at max? My PC is only a year and some odd months old, so I'm not yet willing to go out and purchase something new, but I am willing to do some big upgrades if need be. Anyway, thanks in advance, ACS.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:37 pm

bigh0rt wrote:You play MVP 05 for PC still? If so, you hang out over at http://www.mvpmods.com? I just got back from vacation, so I'm not sure if the new roster set is done yet, but it looked completely insane with Total Minors. If I can get my PC running tomorrow, which I hope I can, I'll check 'er out. Do you know if EA's 07 games will be next gen., and if so, would you be able to help me make it financially workable for me to upgrade my PC to where it should be to run them at max? My PC is only a year and some odd months old, so I'm not yet willing to go out and purchase something new, but I am willing to do some big upgrades if need be. Anyway, thanks in advance, ACS.

If you are asking for advice on how to get a top of the line PC for the lowest price yea I'd be more then happy to help.

EA Games usually run at top speed with Mid Range Cards. I wouldn't be to worried about needing a sick system to run it.

I have a laptop with 1.8ghz processor and it runs top of the line.

But yea i can help with whatever
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RynMan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:24 pm

acs I need some advice/tech help!

I put together a computer for my bro a couple of weeks back. Nice little system, AMD 64 3400, GEForce 6800, 1 gig ram, 200GB sata HDD.

He has been playing games on it perfectly like NFS Most Wanted, Fable and some Star Wars (the latest one). So in the last few days ALL games have started locking up the computer at random times during gameplay. Lord of the Rings 2 seems to last only 5 mins of play. Unreal 4 lasts for a long time, and other are just random. However everything locks up sooner or later.

I have installed speed fan to check the temperatures and they all seem fine during gameplay. Took the side of the case off thinking it may be a heat issue and blew a pedastal fan into it - no luck, it still froze.

Not sure what to try. A few tech forums I have been to suggest updating the drivers for the video card and motherboard, aswell as for the HDD. Do you think this could be the problem, even though it was working perfectly a week ago, and it's brand new? Could it be a faulty video card?

The only other thing I thought it could be, is the power supply. It is a 550watt PS, but it's not a fantastic brand.

Any ideas?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:25 pm

RynMan wrote:acs I need some advice/tech help!

I put together a computer for my bro a couple of weeks back. Nice little system, AMD 64 3400, GEForce 6800, 1 gig ram, 200GB sata HDD.

He has been playing games on it perfectly like NFS Most Wanted, Fable and some Star Wars (the latest one). So in the last few days ALL games have started locking up the computer at random times during gameplay. Lord of the Rings 2 seems to last only 5 mins of play. Unreal 4 lasts for a long time, and other are just random. However everything locks up sooner or later.

I have installed speed fan to check the temperatures and they all seem fine during gameplay. Took the side of the case off thinking it may be a heat issue and blew a pedastal fan into it - no luck, it still froze.

Not sure what to try. A few tech forums I have been to suggest updating the drivers for the video card and motherboard, aswell as for the HDD. Do you think this could be the problem, even though it was working perfectly a week ago, and it's brand new? Could it be a faulty video card?

The only other thing I thought it could be, is the power supply. It is a 550watt PS, but it's not a fantastic brand.

Any ideas?

So it only locks up during games huh?

Do you have the power connectors attached to the card correctly? The new cards require power to the card as well as through the PCIEX slot. The 6800 is a PCI Ex card I believe.

What I would do first is use system restore to restore the system back to about a week ago.

This will make the settings the same as when it was working. You might lose some stuff you have installed recently but the good thing is you can always roll it back the other way as well.

Sometimes this works really well.

If that doesn't work I'd reseat the Video Card. Take it out and put it back in.

Try running a stress test on it like 3dMark or Sandra. Basically this puts immense strain on your card and processor to see if it has errors or will fail.

Also, update the drivers for your Video card definitly. Make sure everything is correctly seated and make sure that all the fans are spinning. Make SURE that the CPU fan is spinning up and the power supply fan is spinning up as well.

You could also switch out the PWR if you have an extra one.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RynMan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:02 pm

acsguitar wrote:S
So it only locks up during games huh?

Do you have the power connectors attached to the card correctly? The new cards require power to the card as well as through the PCIEX slot. The 6800 is a PCI Ex card I believe.

What I would do first is use system restore to restore the system back to about a week ago.

This will make the settings the same as when it was working. You might lose some stuff you have installed recently but the good thing is you can always roll it back the other way as well.

Sometimes this works really well.

If that doesn't work I'd reseat the Video Card. Take it out and put it back in.

Try running a stress test on it like 3dMark or Sandra. Basically this puts immense strain on your card and processor to see if it has errors or will fail.

Also, update the drivers for your Video card definitly. Make sure everything is correctly seated and make sure that all the fans are spinning. Make SURE that the CPU fan is spinning up and the power supply fan is spinning up as well.

You could also switch out the PWR if you have an extra one.

Some good advice that I haven't read yet! Thanks dude.

Ok, I'm an idiot. The 6800 was a card we were looking at but didnt get. We actually got a Radeon x1200. I have not connected power directly to the card other than through the PCI port - yeah it's PCI Ex. I might have a look at that one....

All fans are spinning - but the case has terrible ventilation, although if heat was the problem I would have thought that the pedastal fan blowing in would have done something.

I downloaded yesterday from the ATI webpage the latest drivers, 6.5 or something. Will throw them on and see if anything happens also.

Didn't know there were programs that test your video card - although it makes perfect sense! I'll go graba copy of 3dMark also.

I'll come back with what I get. Thanks dude, appreciate that!! ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:15 am

acs, do you think it could be the power supply? Tonight the game run fine for about 45 mins, then froze. Weird. The card is very hot to touch, so maybe it is still heat as the issue.

Do cards get hotter if there is insufficient power running to them? I know it sounds inversed but I thought I read this somewhere.

Anyways, I have a codegen 550w power supply, and apparently they are garbage. I'm off tommorrow to buy an Enermax 600w. That should help. I have read today that the PSU is one of the most important pieces. The system has some relatively heavy components so I guess they need to have sufficient power.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:03 pm

RynMan wrote:acs, do you think it could be the power supply? Tonight the game run fine for about 45 mins, then froze. Weird. The card is very hot to touch, so maybe it is still heat as the issue.

Do cards get hotter if there is insufficient power running to them? I know it sounds inversed but I thought I read this somewhere.

Anyways, I have a codegen 550w power supply, and apparently they are garbage. I'm off tommorrow to buy an Enermax 600w. That should help. I have read today that the PSU is one of the most important pieces. The system has some relatively heavy components so I guess they need to have sufficient power.

With todays graphics cards you want a good powersupply. Although 550W sounds like a lot you actually want a certain amount of power on the rail. Don't ask me to explain because I don't understand electrical circuitry thats well.. Anyways you probably want a PS with at least 18A on the rail I believe. It could definitly be the power supply. Are you sure this card doesn't have to hooked directly into the power supply?

Are the fans on the card spinning. It could just be a defective card. You haven't tried Over Clocking the card have you?

I'm not really famaliar with the x1200 except that I think they use them in Macs. Are you running a mac? I doubt a Mac only card would run in a PC so that probably shouldn't be the problem but it would be hilarious.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RynMan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:25 pm

acsguitar wrote:
With todays graphics cards you want a good powersupply. Although 550W sounds like a lot you actually want a certain amount of power on the rail. Don't ask me to explain because I don't understand electrical circuitry thats well.. Anyways you probably want a PS with at least 18A on the rail I believe. It could definitly be the power supply. Are you sure this card doesn't have to hooked directly into the power supply?

Are the fans on the card spinning. It could just be a defective card. You haven't tried Over Clocking the card have you?

I'm not really famaliar with the x1200 except that I think they use them in Macs. Are you running a mac? I doubt a Mac only card would run in a PC so that probably shouldn't be the problem but it would be hilarious.

Ok, I'll pick up a good PSU today. The fans on the card are spinning. And no, not running a mac. And no, it's a PC vid card hehehe.

Shall try the new PSU and get back to you. Thanks again acs!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:16 pm

Ok, the $200 PSU didn't help at all. :,-(

Threw in some twin fans that insert into the slot underneath, in the spare pci space - they blow directly onto the card. No love.

Updated the ATI drivers with the latest, no love.

So I think I'm going to switch the card with my Radeon x700 and see if it works. If it does, then it is the video card right?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Video Games