Am I overrating my team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Am I overrating my team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I overrating my team?

Postby BritSox » Tue May 23, 2006 12:19 pm

This h2h team (12 teamer, 5x5 standard) got blown out the first two weeks. Gradually inched my way back into the playoffs, but got blown out again last week by a pretty mediocre outfit. Is there any glaring weakness, or should i just sit tight? Current record is .464, 12 GB, 2 GB of the sixth-placed team.

C- McCann
1B- Berkman
2b- Utley
3B-ARod
SS- Peralta
OF- Holliday
OF- Dye
OF- Drew
Utl- Kearns
BN Wilkerson
BN Winn
DL Crisp

SP Peavy
SP Schmidt
RP Nathan
RP Valverde
P Otsuka
P M. Gonzalez
P Haren
BN Escobar
BN Hamels
DL Sheets
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby yourgodsdice » Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm

Looks just like bad luck, maybe a lack of speed.

R Should be right up there with the best in the league, right?
RBI Looks great. Great to have Utley as a 100 plus RBI guy at your 2B.
HR Good power bats. Unless you're playing a Pujols owner, you should be great. Of course ARod is down compared to his potential, but once he starts going crazy you'll be great.
AVG Besides Peralta, should be pretty good. Hope he turns it on in the second half like he did last year.
SB Probably your greatest weakness. I'd imagine you're losing this cat every week.

W I could see that you might be struggling with wins, but I really like your starters. Peavy will rack up wins likely and Haren is a good second half guy, at least based on last year. If you get yourself a healthy Sheets, you will have a great great staff.
K Pretty good...you will be tops in your league by the end of the season IMO.
SV With Nathan not getting as many save opps, I could see if you might lose this cat once in awhile. It might be smart to get yourself a better closer to go along with Valverde as he's the only closer on your roster with more than 10 saves right now.
WHIP Might be a slight issue right now, but should work itself out as the season progresses.
ERA Same as WHIP

I'd just look to get some speed (probably to put at your UTL, or if you're fed up with Peralta try to get a speedy SS) and get yourself a top notch closer and you will be great.
yourgodsdice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BritSox » Tue May 23, 2006 2:28 pm

Crisp and Winn were the guys in the team I had labelled as speed merchants. Broadly speaking, A-Rod and Utley are pretty speedy for their positions, so I set my OF according to need. I'm 2-3-2 in steals so far, which is OK. My big weakness cats according to W-L record seem to be AVG W and K. The big speedy guys are concentrated in 2-3 teams (one guy has Pods and Reyes) so there's actually a good few guys i have a shot against if I decide to go with the 'faster' lineup.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Tue May 23, 2006 3:45 pm

It looks like a pretty solid team to me, except I don't expect you'll bat for a very high average. You could also try moving someone like Holliday for a real speedster, which would eliminate the need for guys like Winn to sit on your bench. You could use those spots for some more SP, which would help your W and K totals.

Help? http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=208106
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 23, 2006 4:30 pm

In the H2H format I don't really think there is a need to have a dedicated speedster. You have enough SB to be competitive and some guys on your bench who can be rotated in to try and 'swipe' the category some weeks. Of course you'll lose to the team with a lot of dedicated speed in the category but that's OK since those teams are often weak in other areas.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby schmidty » Tue May 23, 2006 5:47 pm

Are you losing W's and K's every week because the other guy just usually seems to have more starters than you? I think you should open up a slot for another SP. Maybe by getting rid of Winn (who doesn't steal enough to warrant a dedicated speedster roster spot) or maybe dealing one of your 4 closers. Even the calibur of SP on the WW should be helpful, if you pick and chose the starts smartly. One or two more decent starts in a week could be enough to give you the edge.

Help me please: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=208161
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby baseballyes » Tue May 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Maybe you could package Peralta and an outfielder for Furcal.

This would give you more speed and open up a roster spot for another starter that you could pick up or trade for.

With Sheets coming back though I really think you will be competitive in Ks...Wins might be harder, but they're so volatile I don't know how worth it is to go after.

if you can please help
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=208167
baseballyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team