It's Official...Roto is better than H2H... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LL » Wed May 24, 2006 12:31 am

DevilDriver wrote:
Yoda wrote:It depends on the person. I am in two H2H money leagues with people I know. I like it much better since each week I can look forward to even if I got creamed the last three weeks.

Plus playing against your friends means there is new smack talking every week. I prefer it to roto.

This is exactly why I like H2H ;-D

Agreed! Every week there's a chance to chat it up with a good buddy as we face off against eachother. That, to me, is what brings me back year after year...

Plus, each week is a new managing challenge. For example, you're winning in IP and K's but also ERA and WHIP. Do you start your pitchers over the weekend in hope for the CG SO points and to add on to your IP and K lead or is it not worth risking spikes in ERA and WHIP due to bad outings? The scenario changes as every weekend approaches!
LL
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reynolds80 » Wed May 24, 2006 12:57 am

The typical fantasy player will bemoan the "luck" involved in H2H playoff formats, but the savvy one has long since known which MLB teams have the best matchups during the playoff weeks and has built his team to flourish in those weeks.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed May 24, 2006 1:58 am

jblank wrote:If its so wonderful, why do estimates show that 80-90% of fantasy baseball players play Roto? I suppose those same 80% of players don't get bored year after year after all.

But how many of those same players have a H2H league or even multiple leagues? Don't get me wrong, I love roto but I love H2H. Right now I'm last in my 16 man H2H money league, mostly due to lack of pitching and my offensive slump but I'm turning it around(oh and my 0-12 first week :-/ ) but I'm making some moves and am getting back to competitive and think I have a good chance at competing for the 2nd half prize(still don't know if it's possible to make playoffs since only 6 make it) But it's competitive. I have a roto league too where I like it because I'm also a stat junkie. In reality I like both leagues and that's why I love fantasy sports. Anything can happen. I really don't understand why people can't like to play both. I think it's just finding a good commited group.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Wed May 24, 2006 3:11 am

subie101 wrote:ROTO is for people with no friends! Just you and your stats. :-)

LoL :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby wrveres » Wed May 24, 2006 3:13 am

Mugrila wrote:what is this, the 3rd thread on the subject in the past day?

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207827

there is a reason for that ..

the people losing are the people bitching..

I bet 50% of them drafted Tex in the 1st round. :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed May 24, 2006 1:47 pm

wrveres wrote:
Mugrila wrote:what is this, the 3rd thread on the subject in the past day?

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207827

there is a reason for that ..

the people losing are the people bitching..

I bet 50% of them drafted Tex in the 1st round. :-D

I got Tex(auction) in my H2H, last place but I'm not bitching how I wish it was a roto league. I atleast have a chance to get some wins this year.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Wed May 24, 2006 3:50 pm

jblank wrote:If its so wonderful, why do estimates show that 80-90% of fantasy baseball players play Roto? I suppose those same 80% of players don't get bored year after year after all.

That's a good question. What estimates are you talking about? How good are those estimates? Do you have links?

I'd seriously be surprised if that's is correct.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 24, 2006 5:20 pm

each to its liking I guess
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jblank » Wed May 24, 2006 11:20 pm

swyck wrote:

That's a good question. What estimates are you talking about? How good are those estimates? Do you have links?

I'd seriously be surprised if that's is correct.

If you will read the link I put in earlier, its listed in there.

EDIT - I will even do the work for ya. ;-D

http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.a ... 0to%20Head

Although I’ve warmed to the format myself, all three members of my “panel” noted that it lags rotisserie in popularity. Luciani estimates that no more than 10% of the questions he receives are related to the head-to-head format, although he added that “this may not be reflective of what percentage of people are playing because our own site is more focused in the direction of rotisserie-style fantasy leagues.”

Roberts also estimates a 10% popularity rating for head-to-head. “However, that number is increasing as certain sites allow owners to play head-to-head for free," he observed. "Many prefer the sudden change of head-to-head standings and the volatility in the standings.” Ray Murphy concurs, adding, “I think the minority that play head-to-head are quite attached to the format” – something I’ve noticed as well.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby edr4225 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 am

i like head to head leagues, the unpredicatablity is simply great and fun, aight peace
Go Chicago Cubs
edr4225
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers