It's Official...Roto is better than H2H... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Tue May 23, 2006 12:44 pm

There are more tough choices in weekly lineups than daily. Sitting a pitcher against the highest scoring teams isn't exactly rocket science~.

Deciding whether to start one mediocre guy against a poor team or going with your mediocre guy who faces two good teams is a hard choice. I would say strategy wise it goes...

Weekly H2H > Daily H2H > Roto.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 12:50 pm

rainman23 wrote:People are constantly making the point that Roto is much better than H2H. So the original poster is way off base.

This anti-playoff thing is pretty tiresome. Almost every sport everywhere has gone to playoffs. We all jeer at college football because they refuse to adopt a real playoff. If your kid played in a league that didn't do playoffs at the end of the year, you'd wonder what the story was. But somehow the fact that playoffs may exist at the end of your fantasy league season diminishes the whole experience for you. Whatever value playoffs have everywhere else do not apply to fantasy baseball. Why? Because, dammit, you've got the best team, and you might not win a short series. Wow, how unacceptable. The fact that your victory is not a foregone conclusion like the last two months of your Roto season...gee, that's terrible.

In every H2H league, the last month means something. In lots and lots of Roto leagues, this is not true. This constant harping about the unpredictability that playoffs adds to the game make you guys sound like tired old men. A lot of posters are constantly thumping their chests about how competitive their leagues are. Well, it doesn't sound like some of you enjoy competition at all.


The reason people constantly say it is because thats what their experience with the game tells them and from the fact that many more people play Roto than H2H. Only an idiot would bitch about something he hasn't experienced, so I will assume that like myself, those preferring Roto have played both.

Very few of the Roto leagues I have participated in are decided months in advance so that point you made doesn't hold water. Secondly, unlike in H2H, you don't have the 8th place team reaching the finals or potentially winning the league, just because all the other top teams have their star players resting the last couple of weeks and costing them AB's.

You guys take the criticism of H2H way too seriously. If thats what you like, fine, play it.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue May 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Screw Roto and H2H
Points league > all ;-7
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 5385
Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Ender wrote:There are more tough choices in weekly lineups than daily. Sitting a pitcher against the highest scoring teams isn't exactly rocket science~.

Deciding whether to start one mediocre guy against a poor team or going with your mediocre guy who faces two good teams is a hard choice. I would say strategy wise it goes...

Weekly H2H > Daily H2H > Roto.


Thats your opinion but the majority of players and experts will vehemently disagree with that. The simple multitude of choices given to you and thrown at you on a daily basis means that daily leagues, regardless of what they are, will need more attention and strategy.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 23, 2006 12:53 pm

jblank wrote:
Zito is God wrote:H2H is much more realistic, a ton more fun, and is exciting, unlike roto.

To stafrt off, I don't like weekly lineups, I use daily lineups and check in everyday.

I have tried roto a couple of times, its really wierd. You just sit there, and sit there...and sit there. There is no "score" no rivalries built throughout the season, no seeds for the playoffs, you just, well...sit there.

H2H is more realistic, superstar'slumps have been known to cause favored teams to lose in real life as well. I also like the fact that like in real baseball you play against teams, not against the entir league each week. Try imagining real baseball as roto, it's basically chaos on the field where thousands of baseball players are swinging bats in random directions and pitchers are knocking people out with fastballs here and there. Obviously that was a joke, but in reality, baseball is not played against the entire league or sport, it's against the team you are facing now. Remmmember all thsoe famous quotes from sport interviews: "Take it one week at a time", "Gotta get ready for team X next week", "It was a good win against team A, but now we really need to focus on Team B's weaknesses because they are the only one's standing in the way of our WS win", etc.


You make good points and I agree that daily H2H leagues are better. However, as someone else said in here, its much more rewarding to play an entire season and know you have 1st place won, than to be leading then be knocked out in the playoffs because a couple of your players are being rested or got in a slump. Baseball is THE stats game and in my opinion suits Roto much more than H2H.


But thats exactly what I'm saying, you don't KNOW, and that what makes it fun.

Take this example: I join a yahoo public league, no one shows up for the draft but me, no one checks their team but me, and after a month I don't even need to check because I am so far ahead and always will be. Is that fun? No. Same thing, like you said if you KNOW you have 1st place won a month in advance whats the point of the league continuin to check in? Everyone else will just throw in thwe towel.

On top of that, I'd like to point out another flaw in your arguement. You say you don't want your great team to lsoe because someone on the other team had a great hot streak or your team had a slump...but isn't that how it works in the real world? Remmember the WS Angels? Do you think anyone picked them that year? By your reasoning in real baseball the team who makes the best moves in the fofseason and builds the best team by opening day should always win, but thats not how it works, nor should it.
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby CeeLoGreen » Tue May 23, 2006 12:57 pm

rainman23 wrote:People are constantly making the point that Roto is much better than H2H. So the original poster is way off base.

This anti-playoff thing is pretty tiresome. Almost every sport everywhere has gone to playoffs. We all jeer at college football because they refuse to adopt a real playoff. If your kid played in a league that didn't do playoffs at the end of the year, you'd wonder what the story was. But somehow the fact that playoffs may exist at the end of your fantasy league season diminishes the whole experience for you. Whatever value playoffs have everywhere else do not apply to fantasy baseball. Why? Because, dammit, you've got the best team, and you might not win a short series. Wow, how unacceptable. The fact that your victory is not a foregone conclusion like the last two months of your Roto season...gee, that's terrible.

In every H2H league, the last month means something. In lots and lots of Roto leagues, this is not true. This constant harping about the unpredictability that playoffs adds to the game make you guys sound like tired old men. A lot of posters are constantly thumping their chests about how competitive their leagues are. Well, it doesn't sound like some of you enjoy competition at all.


I just wanted you to know I won my big money roto league on the very last day last year. And the final five were separated by 4 points at the end. You can't buy that kind of drama in H2H.

For you h2h players, have you ever wasted an entire season by getting bounced from the playoffs, when you clearly had the superior team, just because your players took a week off???? I just find that extremely unjustified. May the best man win, not the man with the hottest team during a particular week of the season.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2534
Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where Ever I'm At

Postby Yoda » Tue May 23, 2006 1:24 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:
rainman23 wrote:People are constantly making the point that Roto is much better than H2H. So the original poster is way off base.

This anti-playoff thing is pretty tiresome. Almost every sport everywhere has gone to playoffs. We all jeer at college football because they refuse to adopt a real playoff. If your kid played in a league that didn't do playoffs at the end of the year, you'd wonder what the story was. But somehow the fact that playoffs may exist at the end of your fantasy league season diminishes the whole experience for you. Whatever value playoffs have everywhere else do not apply to fantasy baseball. Why? Because, dammit, you've got the best team, and you might not win a short series. Wow, how unacceptable. The fact that your victory is not a foregone conclusion like the last two months of your Roto season...gee, that's terrible.

In every H2H league, the last month means something. In lots and lots of Roto leagues, this is not true. This constant harping about the unpredictability that playoffs adds to the game make you guys sound like tired old men. A lot of posters are constantly thumping their chests about how competitive their leagues are. Well, it doesn't sound like some of you enjoy competition at all.


I just wanted you to know I won my big money roto league on the very last day last year. And the final five were separated by 4 points at the end. You can't buy that kind of drama in H2H.

For you h2h players, have you ever wasted an entire season by getting bounced from the playoffs, when you clearly had the superior team, just because your players took a week off???? I just find that extremely unjustified. May the best man win, not the man with the hottest team during a particular week of the season.


I lost my H2H money league in the first year during the last hour of the regular season. I will never forget Felix Rodriguez, SF came in to pitch a perfect inning to lower my opponent's ERA just enough to beat me by 0.02 (tie breaker). You can't buy that kind of drama in Roto.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby rainman23 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:30 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:For you h2h players, have you ever wasted an entire season by getting bounced from the playoffs, when you clearly had the superior team, just because your players took a week off???? I just find that extremely unjustified. May the best man win, not the man with the hottest team during a particular week of the season.


How is it a wasted season if you don't win the playoffs? Did they come and take the Padre's NL West title away last year because they went out in the first round? Was last year just another year to Astros fans? There are regular season titles and glories, and there are post-season ones. Having one doesn't eliminate the other. Are you stuck for an answer when that guy who lucked out in the playoffs comes to trash talk after you dominated all year? You shouldn't be. If it's a money league, and you're afraid that the playoff champion will be given undue credit, then there's an obvious answer for that. Playoffs don't have to diminish anything. But they sure as hell are going to add something. More interested owners. Another challenge. Really, I love both games. But how someone can dismiss a format because it has a post-season is amazing to me.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Zito is God wrote:
jblank wrote:
Zito is God wrote:H2H is much more realistic, a ton more fun, and is exciting, unlike roto.

To stafrt off, I don't like weekly lineups, I use daily lineups and check in everyday.

I have tried roto a couple of times, its really wierd. You just sit there, and sit there...and sit there. There is no "score" no rivalries built throughout the season, no seeds for the playoffs, you just, well...sit there.

H2H is more realistic, superstar'slumps have been known to cause favored teams to lose in real life as well. I also like the fact that like in real baseball you play against teams, not against the entir league each week. Try imagining real baseball as roto, it's basically chaos on the field where thousands of baseball players are swinging bats in random directions and pitchers are knocking people out with fastballs here and there. Obviously that was a joke, but in reality, baseball is not played against the entire league or sport, it's against the team you are facing now. Remmmember all thsoe famous quotes from sport interviews: "Take it one week at a time", "Gotta get ready for team X next week", "It was a good win against team A, but now we really need to focus on Team B's weaknesses because they are the only one's standing in the way of our WS win", etc.


You make good points and I agree that daily H2H leagues are better. However, as someone else said in here, its much more rewarding to play an entire season and know you have 1st place won, than to be leading then be knocked out in the playoffs because a couple of your players are being rested or got in a slump. Baseball is THE stats game and in my opinion suits Roto much more than H2H.


But thats exactly what I'm saying, you don't KNOW, and that what makes it fun.

Take this example: I join a yahoo public league, no one shows up for the draft but me, no one checks their team but me, and after a month I don't even need to check because I am so far ahead and always will be. Is that fun? No. Same thing, like you said if you KNOW you have 1st place won a month in advance whats the point of the league continuin to check in? Everyone else will just throw in thwe towel.

On top of that, I'd like to point out another flaw in your arguement. You say you don't want your great team to lsoe because someone on the other team had a great hot streak or your team had a slump...but isn't that how it works in the real world? Remmember the WS Angels? Do you think anyone picked them that year? By your reasoning in real baseball the team who makes the best moves in the fofseason and builds the best team by opening day should always win, but thats not how it works, nor should it.


I'm not playing real baseball, I'm playing statistical fantasy baseball. You guys keep talking about dead leagues, Roto leagues won months in advance, etc, but if you play good, competitive money leagues, or free leagues with dedicated players, you won't see that stuff happen. I think some of you are basing Roto leagues off of all the craptastic free Yahoo leagues out there, rather than off ultra competitive dedicated leagues with owners who know their stuff and want to win.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby DONUTS » Tue May 23, 2006 1:58 pm

we hear the sam arguements every year. roto is soooooo boring....h-2-h is sooooooooo luck based. in my experiences roto takes a little more skill but is boring. teams that are in the bottom half of the league after the all-star break are basiclly done. there's luck involved in h-2-h leagues b/c of the playoff system....like any fantasy league either baseball, football, or basketball. the best way to counter that in money leauges is to split the pot. in all my money leagues that play h-2-h the money is split with the overall season winner and the playoff winner. more prestiege and money goes to the overall winner b/c the league recongnizes that it's much harder and a better indication of the better team. h-2-h makes fantasy so much more fun. it keeps so many more people involved. in my league the winner of the overall season has the most bragging rights and gets his name engraved on our league fantasy trophy.

head to head rules ;-D
DONUTS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 36
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact