It's Official...Roto is better than H2H... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 23, 2006 11:42 am

H2H is much more realistic, a ton more fun, and is exciting, unlike roto.

To stafrt off, I don't like weekly lineups, I use daily lineups and check in everyday.

I have tried roto a couple of times, its really wierd. You just sit there, and sit there...and sit there. There is no "score" no rivalries built throughout the season, no seeds for the playoffs, you just, well...sit there.

H2H is more realistic, superstar'slumps have been known to cause favored teams to lose in real life as well. I also like the fact that like in real baseball you play against teams, not against the entir league each week. Try imagining real baseball as roto, it's basically chaos on the field where thousands of baseball players are swinging bats in random directions and pitchers are knocking people out with fastballs here and there. Obviously that was a joke, but in reality, baseball is not played against the entire league or sport, it's against the team you are facing now. Remmmember all thsoe famous quotes from sport interviews: "Take it one week at a time", "Gotta get ready for team X next week", "It was a good win against team A, but now we really need to focus on Team B's weaknesses because they are the only one's standing in the way of our WS win", etc.
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Re: It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 11:46 am

josebach wrote:
jblank wrote: :-? Puuhhleezzeee. H2H is whats boring. Watching one bad performance ruin your week?

No skill involved after the draft, unlike Roto, where strategy isn't based on who to put in Monday morning, its about who to put in every day, what matchups are good/bad, managing on a daily basis.


How exactly can anyone justify that H2H is more boring than roto? No skill involved after the draft?

LOL

By far, the worst, most illogical post I've ever read on this debate.


How is it boring? I have a team, I have built, crafted, traded for, and molded into a contender. Now, I have to make daily decisions and manage 162 games worth of statistics, knowing who to play, when to play them, and such.

Your last statement is just an effort to put down a dissenting opinion, so I am just going to ignore it, but considering I play a friendly H2H league every year, I find there is most definitely less skill involved. Obviously drafting is key and so is picking up players, but unless its a daily H2H league, its pretty much set it and forget it for 7 days.

Roto is much more of a long haul game. You gotta stick with it, strategy is more in play, and to me, thats what makes it more rewarding. If you don't agree, fine, but its laughable when people try to paint H2H as the game of skill between the two.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Re: It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Postby Yoda » Tue May 23, 2006 11:50 am

jblank wrote:
josebach wrote:
jblank wrote: :-? Puuhhleezzeee. H2H is whats boring. Watching one bad performance ruin your week?

No skill involved after the draft, unlike Roto, where strategy isn't based on who to put in Monday morning, its about who to put in every day, what matchups are good/bad, managing on a daily basis.


How exactly can anyone justify that H2H is more boring than roto? No skill involved after the draft?

LOL

By far, the worst, most illogical post I've ever read on this debate.


How is it boring? I have a team, I have built, crafted, traded for, and molded into a contender. Now, I have to make daily decisions and manage 162 games worth of statistics, knowing who to play, when to play them, and such.

Your last statement is just an effort to put down a dissenting opinion, so I am just going to ignore it, but considering I play a friendly H2H league every year, I find there is most definitely less skill involved. Obviously drafting is key and so is picking up players, but unless its a daily H2H league, its pretty much set it and forget it for 7 days.

Roto is much more of a long haul game. You gotta stick with it, strategy is more in play, and to me, thats what makes it more rewarding. If you don't agree, fine, but its laughable when people try to paint H2H as the game of skill between the two.


Personally, I think it take way more skill to build a competitive H2H team than a roto team. Different match ups mean that you have to build a team that can beat everyone in every category, every week. Something you don't have to worry about in roto.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Postby josebach » Tue May 23, 2006 11:51 am

jblank wrote:
josebach wrote:
jblank wrote: :-? Puuhhleezzeee. H2H is whats boring. Watching one bad performance ruin your week?

No skill involved after the draft, unlike Roto, where strategy isn't based on who to put in Monday morning, its about who to put in every day, what matchups are good/bad, managing on a daily basis.


How exactly can anyone justify that H2H is more boring than roto? No skill involved after the draft?

LOL

By far, the worst, most illogical post I've ever read on this debate.


How is it boring? I have a team, I have built, crafted, traded for, and molded into a contender. Now, I have to make daily decisions and manage 162 games worth of statistics, knowing who to play, when to play them, and such.

Your last statement is just an effort to put down a dissenting opinion, so I am just going to ignore it, but considering I play a friendly H2H league every year, I find there is most definitely less skill involved. Obviously drafting is key and so is picking up players, but unless its a daily H2H league, its pretty much set it and forget it for 7 days.

Roto is much more of a long haul game. You gotta stick with it, strategy is more in play, and to me, thats what makes it more rewarding. If you don't agree, fine, but its laughable when people try to paint H2H as the game of skill between the two.


When did I say that H2H takes more skill than roto? Never. My comment was directed at you saying that H2H takes "no skill" after the draft and that it was more boring than roto... two statements that you didn't address in your last post.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 11:52 am

Zito is God wrote:H2H is much more realistic, a ton more fun, and is exciting, unlike roto.

To stafrt off, I don't like weekly lineups, I use daily lineups and check in everyday.

I have tried roto a couple of times, its really wierd. You just sit there, and sit there...and sit there. There is no "score" no rivalries built throughout the season, no seeds for the playoffs, you just, well...sit there.

H2H is more realistic, superstar'slumps have been known to cause favored teams to lose in real life as well. I also like the fact that like in real baseball you play against teams, not against the entir league each week. Try imagining real baseball as roto, it's basically chaos on the field where thousands of baseball players are swinging bats in random directions and pitchers are knocking people out with fastballs here and there. Obviously that was a joke, but in reality, baseball is not played against the entire league or sport, it's against the team you are facing now. Remmmember all thsoe famous quotes from sport interviews: "Take it one week at a time", "Gotta get ready for team X next week", "It was a good win against team A, but now we really need to focus on Team B's weaknesses because they are the only one's standing in the way of our WS win", etc.


You make good points and I agree that daily H2H leagues are better. However, as someone else said in here, its much more rewarding to play an entire season and know you have 1st place won, than to be leading then be knocked out in the playoffs because a couple of your players are being rested or got in a slump. Baseball is THE stats game and in my opinion suits Roto much more than H2H.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Re: It's Official...Roto is better than H2H...

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 11:55 am

josebach wrote:
jblank wrote:
josebach wrote:
jblank wrote: :-? Puuhhleezzeee. H2H is whats boring. Watching one bad performance ruin your week?

No skill involved after the draft, unlike Roto, where strategy isn't based on who to put in Monday morning, its about who to put in every day, what matchups are good/bad, managing on a daily basis.


How exactly can anyone justify that H2H is more boring than roto? No skill involved after the draft?

LOL

By far, the worst, most illogical post I've ever read on this debate.


How is it boring? I have a team, I have built, crafted, traded for, and molded into a contender. Now, I have to make daily decisions and manage 162 games worth of statistics, knowing who to play, when to play them, and such.

Your last statement is just an effort to put down a dissenting opinion, so I am just going to ignore it, but considering I play a friendly H2H league every year, I find there is most definitely less skill involved. Obviously drafting is key and so is picking up players, but unless its a daily H2H league, its pretty much set it and forget it for 7 days.

Roto is much more of a long haul game. You gotta stick with it, strategy is more in play, and to me, thats what makes it more rewarding. If you don't agree, fine, but its laughable when people try to paint H2H as the game of skill between the two.


When did I say that H2H takes more skill than roto? Never. My comment was directed at you saying that H2H takes "no skill" after the draft and that it was more boring than roto... two statements that you didn't address in your last post.


Perhaps "no skill" was a bit of hyperbole, but I have seen too many league winners get a hot streak and beat a team that deserved a title. Luck players a MUCH bigger hand in H2H. Its akin to Blackjack (H2H) versus Texas Hold 'Em. Blackjack is a fun short term game with less skill, Hold 'Em Poker is a much longer more strategic game.

I addressed how it was more boring to me at least twice. I mentioned how its less rewarding to me over the course of the season and because of the structure of the H2H leagues I have played in (weekly ones) it requires less attention. As a hands on guy, I enjoy the daily strategizing of Roto, the thinking down the road of whats coming, how picking up or dropping a player, or doing a trade, will have long reaching impacts on my team.

H2H is fun as a short term game, but its the accumulation of stats over 162 games that gives me the most enjoyment. I just find the challenge of Roto to be more rewarding. You might disagree and thats fine, thank goodness we have choices.
Last edited by jblank on Tue May 23, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby swyck » Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 am

Just what we need -- another post by a roto snob bashing h2h.

I have a suggestion. If you dont like h2h dont play it.
:-[
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 pm

swyck wrote:Just what we need -- another post by a roto snob bashing h2h.

I have a suggestion. If you dont like h2h dont play it.
:-[


I never said it wasn't fun, I even mentioned I play a yearly H2H league with friends, I just explained why Roto is better, in my opinion.

And I have a suggestion for you, people are free to comment on whatever they wish here and if someone posts a topic I or anyone else is interested in, as long as they conform to the rules, commenting on that topic is allowed.

Using your logic, if you don't like that, go somewhere else.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Here is a good article on the differences. Some good points for both sides of the argument in this piece:

http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.a ... 0to%20Head
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby rainman23 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:36 pm

People are constantly making the point that Roto is much better than H2H. So the original poster is way off base.

This anti-playoff thing is pretty tiresome. Almost every sport everywhere has gone to playoffs. We all jeer at college football because they refuse to adopt a real playoff. If your kid played in a league that didn't do playoffs at the end of the year, you'd wonder what the story was. But somehow the fact that playoffs may exist at the end of your fantasy league season diminishes the whole experience for you. Whatever value playoffs have everywhere else do not apply to fantasy baseball. Why? Because, dammit, you've got the best team, and you might not win a short series. Wow, how unacceptable. The fact that your victory is not a foregone conclusion like the last two months of your Roto season...gee, that's terrible.

In every H2H league, the last month means something. In lots and lots of Roto leagues, this is not true. This constant harping about the unpredictability that playoffs adds to the game make you guys sound like tired old men. A lot of posters are constantly thumping their chests about how competitive their leagues are. Well, it doesn't sound like some of you enjoy competition at all.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neuronss and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact