What a Monster ..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What a Monster .....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 23, 2006 10:34 am

I don't like Bonds, but at least he's doing something.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:37 am

He needs the tax breaks. That is all.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 11:40 am

I'm just trying to understand the thread starters point. Ok, Bonds contributes to charities, a noble act and one he should be lauded for, however, that does not mean he deserves a pass on anything, nor does it mean that my personal opinion of him is supposed to magically do a 180.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:11 pm

Yeah, Bonds is so misunderstood... ;-7

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby apz » Tue May 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Bonds is a cheating, dumb rich man that's contributes alot to charity.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 23, 2006 1:21 pm

bigken117 wrote:Yeah, Bonds is so misunderstood... ;-7

i thought he was just tired :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 23, 2006 1:58 pm

jblank wrote:I'm just trying to understand the thread starters point. Ok, Bonds contributes to charities, a noble act and one he should be lauded for, however, that does not mean he deserves a pass on anything, nor does it mean that my personal opinion of him is supposed to magically do a 180.

You're right. Charitable work is not relevant to the issue of whether he cheated or not.

The trouble is that a lot of the hatred directed at Bonds has nothing to do with steroid use and has degenerated into personal attacks by people who don't like him.

Take for instance this hateful piece on the front of Sports Illustrated by Tom Verducci. What does his interaction with the Negro Leagues Museum have to do with anything? Nothing. It's just another little bit of muckraking by a sports "writer" who is full of hate and has an agenda.

The comments about Ruth would be viewed as cocky bravado and dismissed as something that all great players must have in order to suceed if it came out of anybody else's mouth. But everything from Barry has a negative slant.

This is why whenever there is a Bonds argument people bring up other cheaters and suspected cheaters for comparison purposes - b/c the media gives them a free pass comparitively speaking.

For further proof just look at this thread. Somebody said that his charitable contributions were only made for tax purposes.

If he saved a cat out of a tree Bonds would be labeled as a dog-hater.

And if he stops talking to the media because they are crucifying him, he is labeled as arrogant.

The bottom line is that you don't have to be a saint to be acknowledged as one of the best to ever play the game. The guy is human and no different from anybody else to have ever played - he is just better.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 2:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
jblank wrote:I'm just trying to understand the thread starters point. Ok, Bonds contributes to charities, a noble act and one he should be lauded for, however, that does not mean he deserves a pass on anything, nor does it mean that my personal opinion of him is supposed to magically do a 180.

You're right. Charitable work is not relevant to the issue of whether he cheated or not.

The trouble is that a lot of the hatred directed at Bonds has nothing to do with steroid use and has degenerated into personal attacks by people who don't like him.

Take for instance this hateful piece on the front of Sports Illustrated by Tom Verducci. What does his interaction with the Negro Leagues Museum have to do with anything? Nothing. It's just another little bit of muckraking by a sports "writer" who is full of hate and has an agenda.

The comments about Ruth would be viewed as cocky bravado and dismissed as something that all great players must have in order to suceed if it came out of anybody else's mouth. But everything from Barry has a negative slant.

This is why whenever there is a Bonds argument people bring up other cheaters and suspected cheaters for comparison purposes - b/c the media gives them a free pass comparitively speaking.

For further proof just look at this thread. Somebody said that his charitable contributions were only made for tax purposes.

And if he stops talking to the media because they are crucifying him, he is labeled as arrogant.

The bottom line is that you don't have to be a saint to be acknowledged as one of the best to ever play the game. The guy is human and no different from anybody else to have ever played - he is just better.

Are you saying he is the best ever? I sure hope not.

In any event, considering Bonds has been a jerk to the media since day one, I doubt he is going to get much positive coverage from them. Again, while he is an outstanding player, he is not a nice person. He has had so many problems with teammates (Jeff Kent anyone, etc), coaches, and the media, that it should be obvious to anyone that thinks clearly, that he is not a nice man.

Doesn't matter though, he has his records and a great career and there are no laws legislating bad attitudes and general orneryness, but the things he says and the way he acts has great influence over the way he is portrayed in the media and thought of by fans.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 23, 2006 2:28 pm

jblank wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Are you saying he is the best ever? I sure hope not.

In any event, considering Bonds has been a jerk to the media since day one, I doubt he is going to get much positive coverage from them. Again, while he is an outstanding player, he is not a nice person. He has had so many problems with teammates (Jeff Kent anyone, etc), coaches, and the media, that it should be obvious to anyone that thinks clearly, that he is not a nice man.

Doesn't matter though, he has his records and a great career and there are no laws legislating bad attitudes and general orneryness, but the things he says and the way he acts has great influence over the way he is portrayed in the media and thought of by fans.

You originally asked:

jblank wrote:I'm just trying to understand the thread starters point.

I'm not saying that he charitable work that he does is relevant to anything - but you know about him being a jerk, having a bad attitude, being a bad teammate and not being a nice person - so don't you also want to know the good stuff that he does too so that, if you are inclined to have an opinion about the man b/c of his personality you have the full picture?

jblank wrote: the things he says and the way he acts has great influence over the way he is portrayed in the media and thought of by fans.

I agree with this. So don't you think that it's odd that only the negative aspects of his personality get any coverage?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 3:10 pm

No, because his steroid issues and his comments to the media are what is relevant at this point. Do you expect Pedro Gomez to report on his latest donation to the United Way or the latest allegation about his involvement with Balco? Just like in the regular news, sports news will always be about the bigger story, and with Bonds there will be 3 main stories:

1. The chase for Aaron's record.
2. His clashes with teammates/coaches/media
3. Steroids

Thats just the way it works. Of course thats more his fault than anyone elses.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers