I need serious help...WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I need serious help...WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need serious help...WHIR

Postby Los_Dodgers » Tue May 23, 2006 12:42 am

So, I drafted both of these teams before the season and was very confident in them, especially team # 1, seeing how it was a ridiculously drafted team and I got Sheffield in the 11th round and Reyes in the 7th. My BIG problem on both of them has been injuries, as both of my staffs are completely decimated. I need you guys to let me know if these teams need serious improvements or are really good, like I believe they are, and need time to improve. Team # 1 is in place 9 or 10, and Team # 2 is in place 8 of 12.
Team # 1: 10 Team H2H, Stat Categories: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, A, AVG, IP, W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
C: Javy Lopez
1b: Ryan Howard
2b: Tad Iguchi
3b: Chipper Jones
ss: Jose Reyes
of: Vlad Guerrero
of: Johnny Damon
of: Griffey Jr.
util: Giambi
bn. Scott Rolen
bn: Gary Sheffield
* My offense looks great, and maybe you can see why I am so frustrated with this basically last place team. I figure they could hover around at least .500 until my pitching came into form.
Here is my pitching:
SP: Pedro Martinez
SP: Peasant Felix
SP: Ervin Santana
SP: Wood
SP: Liriano
SP: Lackey
RP: Isringhausen
RP: Gordon
BN: Burnett
BN: Sheets
DL: Gagne
Now I know I cant be too frustrated w/ 3 of my top 5 pitchers injured, but I figure that I should be doing better than I am now. I would really appreciate any help that anyone could give, this has been driving me crazy and I keep waiting, but I can't anymore.

Team # 2
12 Team H2H league, currently 8 out of 12. Normal 5 x 5 roto stat categories.
C: Ramon Hernandez
1B: Pujols
2B: Iguchi
3B: Atkins
SS: Rollins (ew)
OF: Sizemore
OF: Holliday
OF: Griffey
UTIL: Huff
UTIL: Shelton
bn: Randy Winn
bn: Mourneau
bn: Moises Alou
My hitting is basically being carried by Pujols, even though it should be ok once sizemore heats up and rollins gets going.
I really like my pitching on this team, even though its performing so badly.
SP: Carpenter
SP: Peasant Felix
SP: Liriano
SP: Ervin Santana
SP: Kazmir
SP: Spot Starters
RP: Huston Street
RP: Nathan
DL: Harden

Well guys, these are my two duds, and after analysis, they just don't seem that bad. Maybe some of you can shed some light. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Los_Dodgers on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jrod2133 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:22 pm

Wow preseason I would have been in love with these teams. It's hard to believe despite the injuries that you are that low in the standings. For the first team, I wouldn't be sold on Gagne coming back and dominating and Sheets is a complete waste with all that potential and a permenent spot on the DL reserved for him. You may need to trade one of your studs to update that pitching. As for the second team it looks pretty good and should heat up anytime now. Your pitching is solid despite their efforts and your offense isn't that horrible all though i'd like to see the WW.
jrod2133
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Los_Dodgers » Tue May 23, 2006 4:11 pm

thanks...1 person and i probably answered about 15 WHIR's last night.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Patience is the key here. Both good teams that should be playoff contenders by the end of the season. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to upgrade the pitching. As far as H2H is concerned both of these staffs along with some timely spots starts should be able to get the job done.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby schmidty » Tue May 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Both your teams look good. Not much you can do about injuries or bad H2H match-ups. And the "Peasant" has been painful, and I imagine single-handedly losing you a few cats some weeks.

I have a similar question about my own underperforming team here http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=208161.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby baseballyes » Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 pm

Yeah these teams will definitley pick it up as the season progresses

In team 1 you're gonna have a big boost when Sheets and Burnett finally get their act together and get healthy.
For now maybe you could trade Griffey before another iinjury for another starter, and then play Sheff.

Team 2's pitching should get a boost aswell with Liriano moving into the rotation.
With Sizemore finally picking it up Pujols won't have to carry it all on his back alone.

Also, one thing I've noticed with Ervin Santana who you have on both teams...for some reason that I can't explain, his home and away splits are REALLY REALLY different. And not just this year. Last year his era at home was in the 3s and away it was in the 6s.
I don't know if there is an explination for it but until he shows he can do it on the road maybe you should only play him at home.

Hope this helps

if you can
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=208167
thanks!
baseballyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ChoneJohn » Tue May 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Wow...I'm just blown away by the power in your lineup and the fact that you're not doing well. My only advice is to look elsewhere regarding Sheets...he's just not worth that roster spot in my opinion. I might recommend another catcher instead of Lopez if there's one available...like Estrada maybe?
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Los_Dodgers » Tue May 23, 2006 7:15 pm

thanks for the help guys.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Tue May 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Sorry I did not respond sooner, but here goes.

Team 1 - I would be concerned about Sheets and Burnett. Both may be out extended period of time. I would consider using some of your hitting to get a SP now.

If Sheets and Burnett come back OK, you can turn around and trade the excess SP back for hitting

Team 2 - I think that one looks pretty good. I think that team requries a little more managing. I assume you can bench SP for unfavorbable starts? You need to do that with Liriano, Santana, and "Peasant Felix" until they show more consistency. Home starts plus away starts against weak hitting teams.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby jrod2133 » Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 am

Thanks for the help. I was the first guy up there.
jrod2133
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team