U guys call out bad trade offers publicly in your leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

U guys call out bad trade offers publicly in your leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: U guys call out bad trade offers publicly in your league

Postby bravelaker » Wed May 24, 2006 7:08 am

Generally not. I am more likely to counter with a just as ludicrous proposal back to the other guy to make my point.[/quote]

If I get more than one bad trade offer thats what I do. ;-D
bravelaker
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby apz » Wed May 24, 2006 7:46 am

I think people need to relax. When I get a ridiculous offer, I show my friends, we laugh about it and that's the end of it. It's fantasy baseball and I'm trying to have fun.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby TheOmen » Wed May 24, 2006 11:46 am

I think people need to relax. When I get a ridiculous offer, I show my friends, we laugh about it and that's the end of it. It's fantasy baseball and I'm trying to have fun.

In my case, the horrible offers come from my friends. So I mock them , and vice-versa. Never name the manager outright, or the players involved, as I said.

Besides, there's nothing more fun then a little ball busting.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Wed May 24, 2006 12:53 pm

I have done it about 3 times, Once already this year with a guy who kept trying to rip me off over and over. He sent me 6 trade request with a 5 for 1 trade offer Andrew Jones for 5 guys who none where ranked in the top 200. I asked him to not even bother making me another offer because there was no way I would take it and even if I did I would have to drop 4 people off my team to even it out and his 4 guys where worse than all of mine except maybe 2.

I did it once last year in a winners league of all things with a owner who made me a average of 4 trades offers a week. I found out after I posted he was doing the same thing to like 4 other managers and none of the trades where even close to being fair.

I dont recall the other time I did it but I seem to remmeber having to do it once more. I do however always ask the owner to stop making me trade offers and have even gone as far as to e-mail them and ask them there. I make alot of trade offers but 9/10 of mine are very close to even. And I always make a note telling them if they dont like it make a counter.

but I am against someone calling out another owner on the first request. Sometimes one mans junk is another treasure, I traded Roger Clemens and Matsui earlier this year for Chase Utley and Kris Benson. Guess who is laughing all the way to 2nd place!

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby intense » Wed May 24, 2006 1:09 pm

I normall dont call out other owners, but when these 2 deals were made to me in 1 day, I made a post.

He wanted to do...
His - Tomko, T. Hunter, J. Lopez (he had picked him off FA that day)
My - Hafner/J. Nathan

He then offered the same 3 for Berkman & Sheets.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abstractpoet » Wed May 24, 2006 4:20 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:I agree I think it's bad form to call a manager out on a bad trade offer, but there is one case where I will make an exception to that rule. That is where the other owner is calling me out or generally smacking my team; at that point I consider it OK to call out his absurd offers in retaliation.

E.g. "Beat it clown, at least I don't go around making 'serious' offers like Luis Castillo and Brady Clark for David Ortiz. Good luck with that. I hope you are getting comfortable in 14th place.."

Definitely agree with this. Personally I think leagues with a lot of trash talking are more fun, so it's always important to have ammo stored up. If someone makes me a bad offer, I'll just write back (privately) that their offer is a joke, but I'll make a mental note of it just in case they attack me unfairly later on or, worse, criticize my trade offers publicly.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Only call them out publicly if it keeps happening. I leave a note with the rejection, or make an equally bad counter usually. My league is all friends too so if I do want to tell someone it was a terrible offer I talk to them on AIM.

I recently joined a midseason league that drafted last night however and after leaving a message saying I'd like to trade for some hitting, I got an offer of...

Cory Sullivan/Brandon Phillips for Pedro. :-P :-t

I said in the message that I'm not stupid and if he wanted to make a deal don't do things like that. If it happens again I'll go public.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers