U guys call out bad trade offers publicly in your leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

U guys call out bad trade offers publicly in your leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WittyC » Tue May 23, 2006 1:11 am

It's really just a political move, IMO. I don't have any ethical dilemma with it, and I've used it to my advantage a few times. This is especially true when the manager offering the trade obviously did it in hopes you would accidently accept it. That's just low, and they deserve to be called out.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue May 23, 2006 1:12 am

I agree I think it's bad form to call a manager out on a bad trade offer, but there is one case where I will make an exception to that rule. That is where the other owner is calling me out or generally smacking my team; at that point I consider it OK to call out his absurd offers in retaliation.

E.g. "Beat it clown, at least I don't go around making 'serious' offers like Luis Castillo and Brady Clark for David Ortiz. Good luck with that. I hope you are getting comfortable in 14th place.."
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:05 am

I've never done it but maybe I should. Today, for the third time, I got offered Shelton + Verlander for Thome.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby jayman » Tue May 23, 2006 2:24 am

Everyone in my league knows everything about the tatics each of us employ. Everyone knows i'm impatient and will unload early (trying to avoid it this year - damn you Teix!). Once your tatics are known you have to becareful what you protest - don't want to be a hypocrite.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue May 23, 2006 2:33 am

GreenFish wrote:I won't call out an owner if a bad trade proposal is made to me. I will however make my opinion known on league boards if two other owners make a bad deal with each other.

Yep. When a bad deal does go through, the insults commence with fury.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sharksfan1139 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:33 am

f
Last edited by sharksfan1139 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GreenFish » Tue May 23, 2006 2:38 am

sharksfan1139 wrote:I really hate this! Me and some of my cousins joined a 20yr old league with my uncles and last year they complained a lot about how the young members made bad trade offers. I mean my three cousins that joined are around 13yrs old and are still learning no need to call them out. Yesterday I offered one of my uncles Papelbon/Dunn for Wright/Lowry saying I was interested in Wright and if there was any trade possibility let me know. He rejected saying throw in Pujols and weve got a deal. Tonight his brother sends me an offer Piazza/Greene/Edmonds for Papelbon/Dunn. Coincidence, I dont think so...These men are in their 40s grow up!!!

I'd say it is time to find another league. If they won't treat you with at least a little bit of respect then I would not bother with them.
If you believe everything you read, better not read.
Japanese Proverb
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lordrevolution » Tue May 23, 2006 2:56 am

This reminds me of a story.

My step bro's uncle is in my league, and he drafted Johan Santana with the first overall pick. After four games of blow ups, and since Sean (step bro's uncle) never got around to picking a workable OF, I offered him Abreu and Dempster for Johan. He accepted. Abreu has since stunk, and Johan has been the beast we all know and love.

So he of course is telling everyone he's going to kick my nuts and steal Johan back.

To be honest I don't think it adds much to the conversation, but I think it's funny.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willy-t » Tue May 23, 2006 3:02 am

sharksfan1139 wrote:I really hate this! Me and some of my cousins joined a 20yr old league with my uncles and last year they complained a lot about how the young members made bad trade offers. I mean my three cousins that joined are around 13yrs old and are still learning no need to call them out. Yesterday I offered one of my uncles Papelbon/Dunn for Wright/Lowry saying I was interested in Wright and if there was any trade possibility let me know. He rejected saying throw in Pujols and weve got a deal. Tonight his brother sends me an offer Piazza/Greene/Edmonds for Papelbon/Dunn. Coincidence, I dont think so...These men are in their 40s grow up!!!

Thats absolutely lousy, you made a perfectly respectable opening offer, and you're getting some real disrespect. You could either just beat them in thier own league, or quit. Don't just stand for that Bull$hit.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sharksfan1139 » Tue May 23, 2006 3:20 am

willy-t wrote:

Thats absolutely lousy, you made a perfectly respectable opening offer, and you're getting some real disrespect. You could either just beat them in thier own league, or quit. Don't just stand for that Bull$hit.

im sure gonna try and win that league...im in second so far

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers