Head 2 Head Leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Head 2 Head Leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nice you may have just changed my opinion

Postby noudo25 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:52 pm

wrveres wrote:How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or what ever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, or 'Holds' strong or even neither, and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre or gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It’s Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.


You make total since ( I think you changed my opinion) , I just haven't thought about it that way.. ;-D : ;-D ;-D There is much more involement in H2H..but here is a question how about the stats, how much is too much...my current league has 11 stats per side for a total of 22 diffrent stats to try and build a stratagy around..I find it crazy. What do you all think? (o)
Watch me strike this palooka out with my super slow ball...
noudo25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 25
Joined: 19 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheOmen » Tue May 23, 2006 6:07 pm

wrveres wrote:
How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or what ever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, or 'Holds' strong or even neither, and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre or gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It’s Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.




And after all that ridiculous over analyzing, which I only minimally participate in, you can make all the right moves and still lose because someone has a hot WW pickup that goes off for a week, hence my dislike for H2H. It's a personal preference, sure, but don't act as though you're splitting the atom with H2H leagues. I throw my H2H team out there every week, and I basically know I have a very good shot to win with very minimal lineup changes. In roto, I'm constantly tweeking, trying to gain ground, and playing for the long haul, not a flash in the pan gameplan where at the end of the year I am virtually assured a playoff spot.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 519
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Censored

Re: Head 2 Head Leagues?

Postby swyck » Tue May 23, 2006 6:25 pm

jblank wrote:
swyck wrote:
noudo25 wrote:Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. :-t

Its not just you. There are plenty other roto snobs around too. :-P

Maybe you just suck.


Are you bored or something or is acting like a jerk an everyday thing for you? You're going around slamming anyone that likes Roto, just like the alleged "snobs" you are ripping in here. Maybe you're the H2H snob to others Roto snobs...so what makes you any different?

I play both roto and h2h and I think they both bring something to the table. I actually prefer roto but enjoy both.

What I dont like is posts where h2h is bashed using terms like sucks, unfair, and unbalanced when they're just talking about is personal preference. I have no problem with posts that discuss the differences or with people having preferences but that's not what this post was about.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Head 2 Head Leagues?

Postby noudo25 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:35 pm

swyck wrote:
jblank wrote:
swyck wrote:
noudo25 wrote:Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. :-t

Its not just you. There are plenty other roto snobs around too. :-P

Maybe you just suck.


Are you bored or something or is acting like a jerk an everyday thing for you? You're going around slamming anyone that likes Roto, just like the alleged "snobs" you are ripping in here. Maybe you're the H2H snob to others Roto snobs...so what makes you any different?

I play both roto and h2h and I think they both bring something to the table. I actually prefer roto but enjoy both.

What I dont like is posts where h2h is bashed using terms like sucks, unfair, and unbalanced when they're just talking about is personal preference. I have no problem with posts that discuss the differences or with people having preferences but that's not what this post was about.


8-o Ok Ok I didn't mean to get anyone mad..I should have explained myself better..I find frustration with H2H leagues, but a couple of post before I see a great point made that has shifted my opinion. I should have just asked for insite on the subject wich is what I was after in the first place. :-° I do think 20 diffrent stats to keep track of is way to much for my league :-o
Watch me strike this palooka out with my super slow ball...
noudo25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 25
Joined: 19 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Head 2 Head Leagues?

Postby swyck » Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 pm

noudo25 wrote:
swyck wrote:
jblank wrote:
swyck wrote:
noudo25 wrote:Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. :-t

Its not just you. There are plenty other roto snobs around too. :-P

Maybe you just suck.


Are you bored or something or is acting like a jerk an everyday thing for you? You're going around slamming anyone that likes Roto, just like the alleged "snobs" you are ripping in here. Maybe you're the H2H snob to others Roto snobs...so what makes you any different?

I play both roto and h2h and I think they both bring something to the table. I actually prefer roto but enjoy both.

What I dont like is posts where h2h is bashed using terms like sucks, unfair, and unbalanced when they're just talking about is personal preference. I have no problem with posts that discuss the differences or with people having preferences but that's not what this post was about.


8-o Ok Ok I didn't mean to get anyone mad..I should have explained myself better..I find frustration with H2H leagues, but a couple of post before I see a great point made that has shifted my opinion. I should have just asked for insite on the subject wich is what I was after in the first place. :-° I do think 20 diffrent stats to keep track of is way to much for my league :-o

And I probably should have offered some insight myself, but the post you're reffering to did a pretty good job with that.

One thing that seems to frustrate a lot of roto players about h2h is that you can lose a weekly series to a much worse team. That's where the 'luck' factor comes in, but IMO that more closely matches what would happen in the real world.

For example the Yanks are a far better team then the Devil Rays, but they can go into Tampa and lose any particular series against them. They can even get swept and blown out during the series. That is luck in that the hits fell in, or left the park, for one team but not the other. In a long season, the better team will usually come out ahead, but they'll still have their 2-8 stretches, and not always against the toughest opponents.

The same applies to h2h. Your players can have a down week against a lousy opponent who's players are on fire. It happens, but in a long season the better teams should come out ahead.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LooseCannon » Tue May 23, 2006 9:06 pm

wrveres wrote:How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or what ever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, or 'Holds' strong or even neither, and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre or gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It’s Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.


I can't believe I'm saying this, but great post and I definitely agree with you. Also, H2H is much more exciting and competitive, even if it is more luck.
Image

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4769
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In leather chair surfing the World Wide Web

Postby Wharton93 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:30 pm

The biggest benefit to H2H is being in a league where you know everybody---the weekly trashtalking and side betting makes every week interesting. Even if you have a crappy team (which is a big rally killer in roto), you can still beat a punkass friend in a late August matchup~
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrkrab2003 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:36 pm

Ill never go back to roto, h2h is alot more realistic.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 347
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby machine3 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:56 pm

wrveres wrote:How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or what ever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, or 'Holds' strong or even neither, and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre or gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It’s Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.


Good post. Only when I read it, it sounded like something from Jeff Foxworthy. ;-)
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1010
Joined: 2 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 pm

TheOmen wrote:And after all that ridiculous over analyzing, which I only minimally participate in, you can make all the right moves and still lose because someone has a hot WW pickup that goes off for a week, hence my dislike for H2H. It's a personal preference, sure, but don't act as though you're splitting the atom with H2H leagues. I throw my H2H team out there every week, and I basically know I have a very good shot to win with very minimal lineup changes. In roto, I'm constantly tweeking, trying to gain ground, and playing for the long haul, not a flash in the pan gameplan where at the end of the year I am virtually assured a playoff spot.


What's this virtually assured stuff? There's been a couple of posts like that. Is that because of league settings? I'm in a ten team league with four playoff spots. What's the typical setting? If more than half the league makes playoffs, that is pretty weak, IMO.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1697
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact