Head 2 Head Leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Head 2 Head Leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jealousblues » Tue May 23, 2006 3:48 am

noudo25 wrote:
TheOmen wrote:
H2H leagues are good to me. One thing I don't understand is the strategy arguement. Its needed in both types of leagues. Roto is more like, "hey, let me rack up on steals and saves in the draft and then trade them later in the season when i have a comfortable lead." H2H is more like finding the best balance throughout a season. Of course you may be able to punt a category, but that is strategy as well. Will you be a lock for the rest of them if you give up 1 or 2? Who knows, but both H2H and roto take "strategy". and i don't know how H2H is at all "unfair". care to explain?

I don't think it's unfair. I think it's very unpredictable from week to week. The worst team in the league always has a chance based purely on luck, and yes, that's good if you're looking for parity in your league. I, however, am not. I want to award those who draft well, use the ww effectively, and care enough to to make daily changes while scouring these boards for the next big prospect. If you're 30 points behind the lead in roto, chances are you deserve to be. I like it that way.

Exactly, its to unpredictable..you can have a great team and still loose to a guy who gets hot for a week then bottoms out again. It just plain stinks..

That happened to me last year. I had first for like 80 percent of the year, then bam lost my first playoff game and I was in third.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Tue May 23, 2006 7:41 am

noudo25 wrote:
TheOmen wrote:
H2H leagues are good to me. One thing I don't understand is the strategy arguement. Its needed in both types of leagues. Roto is more like, "hey, let me rack up on steals and saves in the draft and then trade them later in the season when i have a comfortable lead." H2H is more like finding the best balance throughout a season. Of course you may be able to punt a category, but that is strategy as well. Will you be a lock for the rest of them if you give up 1 or 2? Who knows, but both H2H and roto take "strategy". and i don't know how H2H is at all "unfair". care to explain?

I don't think it's unfair. I think it's very unpredictable from week to week. The worst team in the league always has a chance based purely on luck, and yes, that's good if you're looking for parity in your league. I, however, am not. I want to award those who draft well, use the ww effectively, and care enough to to make daily changes while scouring these boards for the next big prospect. If you're 30 points behind the lead in roto, chances are you deserve to be. I like it that way.

Exactly, its to unpredictable..you can have a great team and still loose to a guy who gets hot for a week then bottoms out again. It just plain stinks..

Right, but if you have the best team week in and week out you will most certainly be near, if not at, the top. Unlucky weeks certainly happen, but that is why you almost need more strategy than roto in order to make your team as good as possible every single week.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby waterproof » Tue May 23, 2006 8:43 am

wrveres wrote:How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or what ever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, or 'Holds' strong or even neither, and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre or gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It’s Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.

;-D ;-D ;-D
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fool42 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:15 am

I find that you can get screwed in H2H but points leagus are boring. The best team absoultely wins but unless the league is deep enough to get into reserves and plattons you really don't have a lot of strategy involved. Just the basic strategy's like start the guys playing in hitter parks and don't start your SP in COL ect...

Maybe ROTO is the best of both worlds but I have only played in a couple of ROTO leagues.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Tue May 23, 2006 9:41 am

I'm in 3 roto leagues and 1 H2H. I barely pay attention to the Roto leagues since there is no payoff until the end of the year. The H2H one is a lot of fun every week of the year. The one thing I will say about H2H is that daily transactions stink for it, weekly is so much better and has really turned around my thoughts on it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Big Game JLo » Tue May 23, 2006 10:44 am

noudo25 wrote:Exactly, its to unpredictable..you can have a great team and still loose to a guy who gets hot for a week then bottoms out again. It just plain stinks..

Yeah... that does suck! It's sort of like real baseball.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby noseeum » Tue May 23, 2006 10:58 am

Ender wrote:I'm in 3 roto leagues and 1 H2H. I barely pay attention to the Roto leagues since there is no payoff until the end of the year. The H2H one is a lot of fun every week of the year. The one thing I will say about H2H is that daily transactions stink for it, weekly is so much better and has really turned around my thoughts on it.

Yes. Weekly H2H points. Best league settings.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Head 2 Head Leagues?

Postby swyck » Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 pm

noudo25 wrote:Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. :-t

Its not just you. There are plenty other roto snobs around too. :-P

Maybe you just suck.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Re: Head 2 Head Leagues?

Postby jblank » Tue May 23, 2006 12:03 pm

swyck wrote:
noudo25 wrote:Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. :-t

Its not just you. There are plenty other roto snobs around too. :-P

Maybe you just suck.

Are you bored or something or is acting like a jerk an everyday thing for you? You're going around slamming anyone that likes Roto, just like the alleged "snobs" you are ripping in here. Maybe you're the H2H snob to others Roto snobs...so what makes you any different?
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spidey » Tue May 23, 2006 2:26 pm

I am in 1 rot and 3 h2h, 1 h2h is weekly and 2 are daily. To me all use different strategies, but I prefer daily h2h.

I prefer h2h because evry week you need to employ a different strategy than the previous week based on opponents strengths and weeknesses. Sure there are the occasional lucky or unlucky bounces but generally it all comes down to player quality.

Weekly h2h is a little more subject to the lucky or unlucky bounce because if an injury to a player occurs you cannot replace them for that week, but there also needs to be more strategy employed in this format.
Spidey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers