Head 2 Head Leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Head 2 Head Leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Head 2 Head Leagues?

Postby noudo25 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. :-t
Watch me strike this palooka out with my super slow ball...
noudo25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon May 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Just you :-B
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Xtreemes » Mon May 22, 2006 10:13 pm

There is plenty of strategy. And sure, sometimes it can be unfair if you have a great week and you play someone who has a better week, but overall it usually evens out.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheOmen » Mon May 22, 2006 10:26 pm

Do H2H leagues suck or is it just me, for some reason I just don't like them....Maybe its just me but they seem unfair and unbalanced with little stratagey. thumbs2.gif

You're not alone. I think they're a joke, and rather boring. If you have a solid team, there's almost no reason to worry about missing the playoffs, which are a crapshoot anyway because of the luck involved from week to week.

I am in one roto, and one H2H league. I'm in the top 3 in both, but obviously put more effort into the roto league, day to day, as first place is the only spot that matters.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Mon May 22, 2006 10:31 pm

H2H leagues are good to me. One thing I don't understand is the strategy arguement. Its needed in both types of leagues. Roto is more like, "hey, let me rack up on steals and saves in the draft and then trade them later in the season when i have a comfortable lead." H2H is more like finding the best balance throughout a season. Of course you may be able to punt a category, but that is strategy as well. Will you be a lock for the rest of them if you give up 1 or 2? Who knows, but both H2H and roto take "strategy". and i don't know how H2H is at all "unfair". care to explain?
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby TheOmen » Mon May 22, 2006 10:36 pm

H2H leagues are good to me. One thing I don't understand is the strategy arguement. Its needed in both types of leagues. Roto is more like, "hey, let me rack up on steals and saves in the draft and then trade them later in the season when i have a comfortable lead." H2H is more like finding the best balance throughout a season. Of course you may be able to punt a category, but that is strategy as well. Will you be a lock for the rest of them if you give up 1 or 2? Who knows, but both H2H and roto take "strategy". and i don't know how H2H is at all "unfair". care to explain?

I don't think it's unfair. I think it's very unpredictable from week to week. The worst team in the league always has a chance based purely on luck, and yes, that's good if you're looking for parity in your league. I, however, am not. I want to award those who draft well, use the ww effectively, and care enough to to make daily changes while scouring these boards for the next big prospect. If you're 30 points behind the lead in roto, chances are you deserve to be. I like it that way.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noudo25 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:36 pm

TheOmen wrote:

I don't think it's unfair. I think it's very unpredictable from week to week. The worst team in the league always has a chance based purely on luck, and yes, that's good if you're looking for parity in your league. I, however, am not. I want to award those who draft well, use the ww effectively, and care enough to to make daily changes while scouring these boards for the next big prospect. If you're 30 points behind the lead in roto, chances are you deserve to be. I like it that way.

Exactly, its to unpredictable..you can have a great team and still loose to a guy who gets hot for a week then bottoms out again. It just plain stinks..
Watch me strike this palooka out with my super slow ball...
noudo25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby noseeum » Tue May 23, 2006 2:39 am

It just comes down to fun for me. Having the weekly results. Staring at box scores all day Sunday gritting your teeth. Much more fun.

The randomness and luck are drawbacks, but I'm playing a game. Lots of fun games have randomness and luck, so I don't mind.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GreenFish » Tue May 23, 2006 2:54 am

I like both. They are different so I play both. I do think Head to Head has more luck but they both require strategy. Head to head is fun with people you know as you can get weekly bragging rights over someone even if your team is out of the hunt. Roto sucks if you fall really far behind as it is almost impossible to catch up. Roto makes for good keeper leagues as teams that fall out of the race can make trades to improve their team for next year.
If you believe everything you read, better not read.
Japanese Proverb
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue May 23, 2006 3:20 am

How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or what ever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you don't sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, or 'Holds' strong or even neither, and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre or gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It’s Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers