Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Tue May 23, 2006 8:33 am

AT wrote:
Ender wrote:Sheets has had one major injury in his entire career. He just hasn't come back from it yet. He was one of the most reliable starters in baseball health wise until the 2nd half of last year. I really don't see why everyone has to bring this up over and over again. Yeah drafting a pitcher who missed the end of the year with an injury is risky, we get it... thats why he went in round 6 instead of round 3. The people who drafted him didn't do anything wrong, you have to pick your risks somewhere. (no I didn't draft him myself because pitching is for suckers).

The MRI came back negative, the injury itself is tendonitis on a different part of the shoulder than where he had surgery so it was most likely caused by him throwing the ball differently than normal, not stressing the old injury.

Ender pull your Carriage.

Definition

Pulling your Carriage: To be ignorant of the truth. Completely throw reason and rational thought to the wind. Defending the Indefensible. Wearing Blinders.

"The Clydesdales pulling the carriage in the Budweiser Commercials wear blinders so they can't see anything but straight ahead."

Don't make me start pulling old threads out. This guy is indefensible. Give it up.

You have an irrational dislike for Sheets and have proven it time and again by throwing out your nonsense. He is an injury risk, everyone knew that going in. He just as easily could have stayed healthy on the year as getting injured again though, hind sight is 20/20. There are a lot of players coming back from injuries every year, you take your risk on one or two and hope it works out, some come back strong, some don't.

There are dozens of pitchers that have been bargains the past few years because they were coming off of injuries. RJ a couple years ago, Carpenter, Pettitte last year, etc. etc. There have also been dozens who have failed to come back strong, there is no crystal ball on which is going to be which and saying I told you so because someone took a risk and it didn't pan out is just silly. Its called a risk for a reason. Just a year ago there were basically 0 injury concern with Sheets, he doesn't become injury prone because of one injury, it takes time to apply that tag to someone.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue May 23, 2006 11:45 am

You guys are hilarious. Yes Sheets was a calculated risk going into the season. However, he did come cheaper because of that risk.

You do realize he made 34 starts in each of 2002, 2003, and 2004. That = healthy. Last season is the first time he missed significant time. This season marks the second. Is he now injury prone? Maybe. But the guy is far from Prior who has never even started 34 games in ONE season let alone 3 straight!

It sucks to have a guy go down with injury, but let's not overreact because he hit the DL early. There's a lot of season left and Sheets still has a chance to come back and help your teams.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:07 am

Jun 21 Sheets (shoulder) threw an 82-pitch bullpen session, and may be almost ready to begin throwing to hitters, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.
Recommendation: Sheets threw mostly fastballs with a few changeups mixed in, and was relatively pleased with the outing. "Two of the last three have been good," he said. "I've got to be getting close (to facing hitters). I'm sure it's coming soon."
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby Chunky_Boy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:09 am

Great news.. how long do you think until he starts again?
Chunky_Boy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:13 am

Probably after the ASB he should back at full bore.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:31 pm

WittyC wrote:Any time a guy says this...

Ben Sheets wrote:I've noticed a little improvement in the last couple of days. Normally, with this, when I've had it in the past, there's going to be a day when there's a big jump.

...he might as well have "INJURY RISK" tatooed on his forehead. I've stuck it out with this guy for the past couple of seasons because I had him in his breakout year, but now I can only shake my head in frustration.

Let's not forget, in addition to the current -- apparently recurring -- shoulder problems, he's had the back injury and the ear infection. I even recall Sheets saying in the preseason that his biggest concern was that the ear infection was going to come back!

Still, he was a calculated risk, and I don't really regret grabbing him in round six. I just wish I hadn't made two calculated risks by snagging Harden as well... :-o

He hasn't had the ear infection at all so I'd say he's out of the woods there. All of his previous injuries (other than the one he's dealing with now) were directly related to a back problem that was fixed with surgery and hasn't recurred. This current injury is a big concern and it's why he dropped to the point that he dropped but at this point the current injury is the ONLY one with which people need to be concerned.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers