Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 22, 2006 4:00 pm

giambiformvp wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:You draft Prior and Sheets, you shouldn't be surprised by all this happening.

I have Prior and Sheets... and wining by 35 points in my roto league.

likewise, but not by 35.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dracovonborax » Mon May 22, 2006 4:21 pm

i took the chance on both Prior and Sheets in my auxtion draft as well..paid 15 and 17 respectively. i'm actually glad Prior is taking his time since the Cubs get no run support w/o Lee, maybe they'll return around the same time. Sheets is hurting me but you can't deny the 28k/1bb...very nice.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:34 pm

dracovonborax wrote:i took the chance on both Prior and Sheets in my auxtion draft as well..paid 15 and 17 respectively. i'm actually glad Prior is taking his time since the Cubs get no run support w/o Lee, maybe they'll return around the same time. Sheets is hurting me but you can't deny the 28k/1bb...very nice.

Getting no stats out of a pitcher is not a good thing. I was called nuts for letting an $9 Prior walk in my Auction Keeper this year. After paying $23 for him the previous year, I wanted nothing to do with him and opted to keep Ryan Howard at $1 instead. That has worked out very well (knock wood).
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon May 22, 2006 4:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
dracovonborax wrote:i took the chance on both Prior and Sheets in my auxtion draft as well..paid 15 and 17 respectively. i'm actually glad Prior is taking his time since the Cubs get no run support w/o Lee, maybe they'll return around the same time. Sheets is hurting me but you can't deny the 28k/1bb...very nice.

Getting no stats out of a pitcher is not a good thing. I was called nuts for letting an $9 Prior walk in my Auction Keeper this year. After paying $23 for him the previous year, I wanted nothing to do with him and opted to keep Ryan Howard at $1 instead. That has worked out very well (knock wood).

Well that is a no brainer if I had to keep Howard at $1 vs Prior at $9. I wouldn't call you nuts but Prior hasn't pitched yet. Too early to tell since he is due back in June.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:44 pm

Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

Well that is a no brainer if I had to keep Howard at $1 vs Prior at $9. I wouldn't call you nuts but Prior hasn't pitched yet. Too early to tell since he is due back in June.

Yeah how long? I learned my lesson to not deal with Prior ever again. I own him in only one league where his owner was injury swamped and opted to cut him loosei n early April and kept of all people Kerry Wood instead (dumb) I claimed Prior and stuck him on my DL. Outside of that, I want no part of him. He was going round 4-6 in most drafts...simply was an extremely poor risk vs reward ratio.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon May 22, 2006 4:55 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

Yeah how long? I learned my lesson to not deal with Prior ever again. I own him in only one league where his owner was injury swamped and opted to cut him loosei n early April and kept of all people Kerry Wood instead (dumb) I claimed Prior and stuck him on my DL. Outside of that, I want no part of him. He was going round 4-6 in most drafts...simply was an extremely poor risk vs reward ratio.

I agree but my main reason for avoiding Wood and Prior was mainly due to the fact that the Cubs are just horrible managers when it comes to reporting injuries. I came to the conclusion that the Tribune is more concerned about public perception and money than actually reporting the truth about injuries to their young pitchers.

I still do not think Sheets is up there with Prior in terms of injuries. If Sheets is gone for the entire season, then I might agree with you. There is one other pitcher who I think will continue to have injury problems in his career: Rich Harden.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:11 pm

I said he was Prior-lite. Sheets is not fully there yet imo either. It is getting close though.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Mon May 22, 2006 10:08 pm

Sheets has had one major injury in his entire career. He just hasn't come back from it yet. He was one of the most reliable starters in baseball health wise until the 2nd half of last year. I really don't see why everyone has to bring this up over and over again. Yeah drafting a pitcher who missed the end of the year with an injury is risky, we get it... thats why he went in round 6 instead of round 3. The people who drafted him didn't do anything wrong, you have to pick your risks somewhere. (no I didn't draft him myself because pitching is for suckers).

The MRI came back negative, the injury itself is tendonitis on a different part of the shoulder than where he had surgery so it was most likely caused by him throwing the ball differently than normal, not stressing the old injury.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AT » Mon May 22, 2006 10:35 pm

Ender wrote:Sheets has had one major injury in his entire career. He just hasn't come back from it yet. He was one of the most reliable starters in baseball health wise until the 2nd half of last year. I really don't see why everyone has to bring this up over and over again. Yeah drafting a pitcher who missed the end of the year with an injury is risky, we get it... thats why he went in round 6 instead of round 3. The people who drafted him didn't do anything wrong, you have to pick your risks somewhere. (no I didn't draft him myself because pitching is for suckers).

The MRI came back negative, the injury itself is tendonitis on a different part of the shoulder than where he had surgery so it was most likely caused by him throwing the ball differently than normal, not stressing the old injury.

Ender pull your Carriage.

Definition

Pulling your Carriage: To be ignorant of the truth. Completely throw reason and rational thought to the wind. Defending the Indefensible. Wearing Blinders.

"The Clydesdales pulling the carriage in the Budweiser Commercials wear blinders so they can't see anything but straight ahead."

Don't make me start pulling old threads out. This guy is indefensible. Give it up.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WittyC » Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 am

Any time a guy says this...

Ben Sheets wrote:I've noticed a little improvement in the last couple of days. Normally, with this, when I've had it in the past, there's going to be a day when there's a big jump.

...he might as well have "INJURY RISK" tatooed on his forehead. I've stuck it out with this guy for the past couple of seasons because I had him in his breakout year, but now I can only shake my head in frustration.

Let's not forget, in addition to the current -- apparently recurring -- shoulder problems, he's had the back injury and the ear infection. I even recall Sheets saying in the preseason that his biggest concern was that the ear infection was going to come back!

Still, he was a calculated risk, and I don't really regret grabbing him in round six. I just wish I hadn't made two calculated risks by snagging Harden as well... :-o
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers