Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year

Postby RAmst23 » Mon May 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Well, Ben Sheets is doing exaclty what I predicted. I thought to myself on draft day, "y'know who I should draft in the 5-6th round? Ben Sheets, because who doesn't need a starter with an ERA of 6.64?"

Anyone get rid of this guy, or avoid him wisely?? He's getting an MRI now, and who knows how long he'll be gone for. Just glad I didn't have a Prior/Sheets combo on any team.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Mon May 22, 2006 3:08 pm

You draft Prior and Sheets, you shouldn't be surprised by all this happening.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 22, 2006 3:11 pm

IF Sheets could stay in the rotation he would be a top 4 pitcher in baseball.

Forget that ERA based off I 1 bad start.

How bout his 28:1 K to BB ratio. That is flat out sick! 28 Ks in 20 IPs.

His problem are the injuries, not the production.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Ben Sheets, best pitcher of the year

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 22, 2006 3:17 pm

In order to win a league, you have to take gambles on draft day. Some of them work out and some of them don't.

Drafting Sheets in the 5/6 was a high risk/even higher reward decision. I can understand not liking certain players because they get hurt a lot, but I'll never understand the animosity.

He could still come back to pitch 175+ and he's doing me no real harm by sitting in my DL. So don't count him out yet either.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby waterproof » Mon May 22, 2006 3:23 pm

Calculated Risk...

I left a lot of players off my draft list this year... Thome was probably the most notable to date... sometimes those risks pay off
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon May 22, 2006 3:27 pm

Thoguht it was a pretty good risk getting him in the 6th round. Obviously hind sight is 20-20 and if I had a crystal ball, I would win every year.

Everyone has at least one non-homosexual mancrush in fantasy baseball. Sheets is definitely one of them and Hafner is another one for me. I'm sure I'll end up drafting him again next year. :,-(
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giambiformvp » Mon May 22, 2006 3:43 pm

chadlincoln wrote:You draft Prior and Sheets, you shouldn't be surprised by all this happening.

I have Prior and Sheets... and wining by 35 points in my roto league.
giambiformvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon May 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:Thoguht it was a pretty good risk getting him in the 6th round. Obviously hind sight is 20-20 and if I had a crystal ball, I would win every year.

Everyone has at least one non-homosexual mancrush in fantasy baseball. Sheets is definitely one of them and Hafner is another one for me. I'm sure I'll end up drafting him again next year. :,-(

I think you will have yourself a steal next year in all seriousness. Especially if he falls to the 7th or 8th round.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 431)

Postby chadlincoln » Mon May 22, 2006 3:47 pm

giambiformvp wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:You draft Prior and Sheets, you shouldn't be surprised by all this happening.

I have Prior and Sheets... and wining by 35 points in my roto league.
I didn't say you should be losing, I said you shouldn't be surprised to see them on the DL.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Sheets is like Prior-lite imo. You should never pay the going rate for injury-prone top 8 round players (and that goes doubly for pitchers)...at least that is my opinion.

I learned over the years to stay away from Prior (last seaosn was he last straw). Don't care where he goes, I am not taking him unless he falls to the depths of the mid-teen rounds. Sheets is getting to be just like Prior in that respect. Stay away and let someone else take on the risk and the headaches in the early rounds. That person is going to get burned much more so than not.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers