seatlle closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

seatlle closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ogaley » Tue May 23, 2006 11:20 am

I see Guardado got the save last night...does anyone know what the deal is? Has Guardado regained the closer role???
ogaley
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chuckles » Tue May 23, 2006 11:23 am

ogaley wrote:I see Guardado got the save last night...does anyone know what the deal is? Has Guardado regained the closer role???

Putz pitched 3 straight games...giving Guardado the opp. I don't see Eddie getting the job back because of this...at some point as Hargrove said, he probably will get the chance, but not yet IMO...I did pick up Eddie though!!! ;-D
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 23, 2006 11:25 am

willy-t wrote:I expect that he'll keep the job from now on, actually. Hope not though.

This from CBS:

Because J.J. Putz has pitched in the last three games for the M's, the Mariners will have to look for another closer for Monday's game against Baltimore, should the situation arise. That could mean a return to the ninth inning for lefty Eddie Guardado, who did not pitch Sunday. After Sunday's game, manager Mike Hargrove reiterated that he wanted eventually to move Guardado back into the closer's role because he felt that gave the Mariners better balance.
(Updated 05/22/2006).

I've seen the same reports on Rotowire. It makes all the sense in the world from an organizational standpoint to get Guardado back into the closer role. He has more trade value if he's a solid closer, he's in his walk year, the team has two other solid options to close (Putz and Soriano) and they're not going anywhere this year anyways. If Guardado succeeds as a closer for a month without imploding again or getting hurt then they'll almost certainly get some worthwhile prospects for him in a deal to a closer starved team (Atlanta?). If they keep him setting up they're less likely to get the type of return that they want on him.

Putz has been the better closer. Soriano could do a better job as well. I'm not going to debate with people which pitchers would be better because there's no contest - Soriano and Putz win hands-down. But fantasy players often overlook the business end of baseball and Guardado returning to his closer position is a sound business move for the Seattle Mariners.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed May 24, 2006 3:16 am

Big Game JLo wrote:
Joe Mauer wrote:UGH! Now Putz and Walker are available and I am afraid to drop COrdero or Baez for one of them. And I HAVE to drop one of those two.

This is pretty much a no brainer. Drop Baez (who has lost his job and will lose it even more in a week when Gagne returns) and grab Putz!

Thanks for the advice man. Problem is, I only have one move left in this league to make on the closer position and I loose all the past stats of the player I drop and gain all those past stats of the player I pick up. This is a 5X5 roto league.

So I gotta wait it out a bit longer to see if: 1. He is for real the guy for the season...at least projected to be the guy. 2. Cordero continues to be the set up guy. If this happens, Cordero (Francisco) is the one I'll drop most likely. But yes, in a more normal league...it is a no-brainer.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby kid sox » Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 am

Joe Mauer wrote:Thanks for the advice man. Problem is, I only have one move left in this league to make on the closer position and I loose all the past stats of the player I drop and gain all those past stats of the player I pick up. This is a 5X5 roto league.

So I gotta wait it out a bit longer to see if: 1. He is for real the guy for the season...at least projected to be the guy. 2. Cordero continues to be the set up guy. If this happens, Cordero (Francisco) is the one I'll drop most likely. But yes, in a more normal league...it is a no-brainer.

I've never heard of a league where you can drop a player a lose all his past stats.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Wed May 24, 2006 9:19 am

"Manager Mike Hargrove said for the first time the current bullpen arrangement of RHP J.J. Putz as closer and demoted closer Eddie Guardado and RHP Rafael Soriano as the primary setup relievers could remain for the rest of the season. "Or it could be for a week," Hargrove said, acknowledging how fleeting bullpen success can be. Hargrove repeated that LHP Guardado, 35, being the closer would be the optimum arrangement because that is how the team's bullpen was designed for this season. But Putz, 29, had six saves in seven opportunities entering Tuesday, led AL relievers with 33 strikeouts and had allowed one run in 13 games. He credits Guardado with teaching him a new split-finger fastball for his success. Guardado got his fifth save in eight chances Monday -- only because Putz had saves in each of the three previous games and was unavailable. "

Putz was terrible last night. That could be the all the "excuse" Hargrove needs to give Eddie the job back. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. :-o
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 24, 2006 11:12 am

pangbones wrote:
"Manager Mike Hargrove said for the first time the current bullpen arrangement of RHP J.J. Putz as closer and demoted closer Eddie Guardado and RHP Rafael Soriano as the primary setup relievers could remain for the rest of the season. "Or it could be for a week," Hargrove said, acknowledging how fleeting bullpen success can be. Hargrove repeated that LHP Guardado, 35, being the closer would be the optimum arrangement because that is how the team's bullpen was designed for this season. But Putz, 29, had six saves in seven opportunities entering Tuesday, led AL relievers with 33 strikeouts and had allowed one run in 13 games. He credits Guardado with teaching him a new split-finger fastball for his success. Guardado got his fifth save in eight chances Monday -- only because Putz had saves in each of the three previous games and was unavailable. "

Putz was terrible last night. That could be the all the "excuse" Hargrove needs to give Eddie the job back. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. :-o

From Hargrove's quote there I fully expect Jamie Moyer to enter the closer mix at some point this year. ;-7
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Howie » Wed May 24, 2006 11:30 am

pangbones wrote:

How ironic is that?
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby zevon » Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 am

To describe Putz as terrible last night is a gross understatement, and it's ominous to me that he's out as closer as he wasn't even in a save situation.
I was at 6.2 IP, ERA 0.00, Whip .74, 1 W, 1 Save (Penny, Rivera) - after JJ's "performance" of .1 IP 4 ER 108.00 ERA 9.00 WHIP, I now stand at 7 IP, 5.14 ERA and 1.43 WHIP...
I had cut Jones a couple weeks back and inexplicably, no one picked him up.
He's back on my team now...
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 24, 2006 12:25 pm

zevon wrote:To describe Putz as terrible last night is a gross understatement, and it's ominous to me that he's out as closer as he wasn't even in a save situation.
I was at 6.2 IP, ERA 0.00, Whip .74, 1 W, 1 Save (Penny, Rivera) - after JJ's "performance" of .1 IP 4 ER 108.00 ERA 9.00 WHIP, I now stand at 7 IP, 5.14 ERA and 1.43 WHIP...
I had cut Jones a couple weeks back and inexplicably, no one picked him up.
He's back on my team now...

My h2h opponent this week has Putz. ;-D Good thing too since I have Heilman and Dessens. !+)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates