Will Soriano get traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Soriano get traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 23, 2006 11:28 am

noseeum wrote:
jayman wrote:
TonyCee wrote:I'm just curious, and maybe it's the money (which he's worth) but why wouldn't the new Nationals Owner see this guy as a + to the team/city and try to sign him to a long-term deal? He's a good leadoff hitter also and they need that plus I have him in 2 NL-only leagues so he can't go :~( :-o !+)

Uh, where have you been (kidding, joking)?

Remember, they traded for him without asking him if he would from 2nd to OF. Then when he wouldn't move and didn't show up in left they threatened to put him on the unqualified list. It's not that they don't want him. HE DOESN'T WANT THEM - unless they make an offer he can't refuse (which they can't afford to do).

He is so proud to be a second baseman, you think he's going to take a slap in the face from the Nats? Hell will freeze over before he signs with the Nats.

I wouldn't be so sure. He gave in, which means there's every chance other teams may decide they don't want him at 2B either. And you never know. He may be liking outfield more than he thought he would. I don't know that. I just mean it's a possibility.

If the Yanks tell him "look, we go Cano, but we want you in the outfield," you don't think he'd consider it?

He "gave in" because it is his contract year": and you don't get much money on the FA market being on the unqualified list my friend.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:48 am

Zito is God wrote:
He "gave in" because it is his contract year": and you don't get much money on the FA market being on the unqualified list my friend.

not only that if he didnt play the Nats could've put him on the DQ list, which means he'll still be under contract for the Nats next season. He wants big money in the FA market.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rentz » Tue May 23, 2006 11:52 am

the funny thing with soriano is when the rangers were shopping him around at the trade deadline last year, they couldnt get squat, and were basically told that if he was an outfielder his value would be MUCH higher, but at the time he had refused to play OF.
the nationals played hardball, and he didnt want to walk away from the money and his shot at free agency next year.

the nationals definately trade him, its just a matter of what can they get in return.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue May 23, 2006 11:03 pm

Zito is God wrote:
noseeum wrote:
jayman wrote:
TonyCee wrote:I'm just curious, and maybe it's the money (which he's worth) but why wouldn't the new Nationals Owner see this guy as a + to the team/city and try to sign him to a long-term deal? He's a good leadoff hitter also and they need that plus I have him in 2 NL-only leagues so he can't go :~( :-o !+)

Uh, where have you been (kidding, joking)?

Remember, they traded for him without asking him if he would from 2nd to OF. Then when he wouldn't move and didn't show up in left they threatened to put him on the unqualified list. It's not that they don't want him. HE DOESN'T WANT THEM - unless they make an offer he can't refuse (which they can't afford to do).

He is so proud to be a second baseman, you think he's going to take a slap in the face from the Nats? Hell will freeze over before he signs with the Nats.

I wouldn't be so sure. He gave in, which means there's every chance other teams may decide they don't want him at 2B either. And you never know. He may be liking outfield more than he thought he would. I don't know that. I just mean it's a possibility.

If the Yanks tell him "look, we go Cano, but we want you in the outfield," you don't think he'd consider it?

That's all true, but if you give in once, you can give in again. Next year, a team will say "well, you haven't played 2B in a year. we want you in left."

He'll listen. He doesn't seem to mind it too much.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 23, 2006 11:17 pm

I was under the impression that we were discussing playing for the Nats. I think he would play OF for the Ynakees or a contender, he would never go back to the Nats.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Zito is God wrote:I was under the impression that we were discussing playing for the Nats. I think he would play OF for the Ynakees or a contender, he would never go back to the Nats.

The Yankees tried him as an OF and quickly gave up that idea. I say a team like St. Louis or maybe even the Mets are possible trade targets. He's already made it very clear that he wants to be a 2B and he'll smartly stipulate that in his next contract if it is so important to him.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby buminabox » Wed May 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I was under the impression that we were discussing playing for the Nats. I think he would play OF for the Ynakees or a contender, he would never go back to the Nats.

The Yankees tried him as an OF and quickly gave up that idea. I say a team like St. Louis or maybe even the Mets are possible trade targets. He's already made it very clear that he wants to be a 2B and he'll smartly stipulate that in his next contract if it is so important to him.

Wow if the Mest get him, imagine that infield hitting-wise. Delgadom, Soriano, Reyes, and Wright. Add Beltran and thats pretty unstoppable.
buminabox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby orange12 » Wed May 24, 2006 5:33 pm

A question I would ask is what will the Angels and Yankees do with Soriano? Both have solid 2B to begin with (Kennedy and Cano respectively) so it seems unlikely to me that the two teams would trade for a rent-a-slugger at a noncrucial position. Cano is doing pretty well so I don't see him getting replaced. I guess Kennedy, being a FA after this season, might get traded to make room for a Soriano trade. But that's a long shot in my mind.

On another note, has anyone considered Soriano to the Jays? I don't know anything about how much free money they have and how deep their farm system is but they seem like a pretty good candidate for a solid 2B that can take them over the top. Aaron Hill has been brutal so far but the Jays are only 2 games out. Seems like a ripe position to put Soriano.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed May 24, 2006 5:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

No team is ever going to agree to a contract that requires a player to play at a position, so Soriano can try and stipulate whatever he wants--he's not going to get that. He also does not have a trade veto yet. So, if traqded, he'll go wherever the Nats deal him and he'll play whatever the team he's traded to wants him to play, just as happened this year.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers