Do you think Felix will pick it up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Do you think Felix will pick it up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby zevon » Wed May 24, 2006 11:42 am

jdsun1 wrote:
zevon wrote:jdsun - We're looking at the Pen a different way - I'm talking relievers only(Baez, Jones) - like to add a stud closer, Baez not long for the fantasy world.

I see. Well hopefully you can get a Stud rookie coming up or get Bonser for the meantime. As for your relievers keep an eye on Guardado and Coffey.

Liriano going against Hernandez by the way this friday. I got both hopefully its a low scoring affair.

Nice matchup Friday, will have to watch it! I have Liriano in another league.
I had Eddie last year with decent success and have no issue with him if healthy - I lean more toward Coffey now though, as he's on a better team and should get more save opportunities - if in fact he gets the job!
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blue too » Wed May 24, 2006 7:24 pm

You never know, but I think there's enough upside for a buy-low candidate. I just sent an offer of Smoltz for Felix and Houston Street.

:-B
blue too
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Owunyne » Fri May 26, 2006 2:32 pm

dont let any doubt get the better of you. johjima has no real knowlege of his opponent batting strengths and weaknesses. a scouting report is fine and dandy, but he needs to play against these guys a couple times to actually call a good game. when he finally does, felix will be back to form. and hopefully kenjis bat will pick up too. keep the faith
Owunyne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnsamo » Sat May 27, 2006 1:32 am

First off, he pitched pretty well today...The Brandon Funstons of the world may be turning on him, but most of thet guys I've heard from who know the game (i.e. played it) still think he's gonna be a star. People seem to forget, every other 20 year old professional pitcher is in AA at most about now...

I'm not a pitching expert, but I can read a box score, and the key to me is the Ks... He's still getting them even in the games he gets roughed upped. That means it's not arm trouble, it's probably the occasional mechanics/location problems, things you expect from a 20 year old.

The Mariners problem is, he's still a little rough around the edges, but he's blown away the minor leagues, so they're having to develop him now in the show. In AAA, you can hang a few and get away with it most of the time, in the show, you're likely to get rocked, and that's all this is, he's missed his location a few times and payed the price.

He'll get better... today was an example. 7 innings, 8 Ks, gave up 3 runs... in most starts, that'll get you the win.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Sat May 27, 2006 2:56 am

I benched him this week, so that explains the good performance he had today. His 2 best starts this year, he was on my bench. :~(
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby number9 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:00 am

Yeah, me too. Benched him, but couldn't take a chance because of the slowly ballooning ERA and WHIP. If he does decently against Texas, he should be semi-permanently back in my roatation.

Interesting Felix analysis here. Has this already been corrected in the past 2 starts?
What information can we gather from these two tables? To me, watching these games in detail, it is clear that there is a scouting report on Felix Hernandez circulating MLB that reads something like this:

First inning, all fastballs, so go up hacking. After first inning, only swing if it's straight and hard. Struggles to throw fastball for strikes, so let him fall behind. In a good hitter's count, swing for the fences—if it’s a breaking ball, you can’t hit it anyway.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... ing-felix/
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Tue May 30, 2006 1:38 pm

From the games I've been able to see, 95% of the time, he looks like an ace... (this is when he's racking up a prettty impressive K rate) than about 5% of his pitches, He leaves then DANGEROUSLY OVER THE PLATE, and sometimes he pays for it. Perhaps the expectaitons were a bit high for him, but he's only 20. Expecting a kid to go out and be a Pedro/Schilling kind of machine every game is asking a bit much. There'll will be bumps along the way, but the arm and the pitches are all there, he just has to sharpen his location a bit.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fbc_fan » Tue May 30, 2006 7:04 pm

great article find number9. i was hoping that his problems were something that could be attributed to relatively poor luck. those first inning splits are horrendous though. maybe he'll stop trying to blow guys away in the first and just pitch like he is capable of.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates