Sheets update: to undergo MRI - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sheets update: to undergo MRI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bcb » Tue May 23, 2006 11:48 am

Sheets' health is clearly an ongoing issue. My question is whether he's a decent buy-low candidate right now. What is he worth?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue May 23, 2006 4:39 pm

"Sheets' health is clearly an ongoing issue. My question is whether he's a decent buy-low candidate right now. What is he worth?"

Tough question. First, I do think he's a good buy-low candidate. His K-to-walk ratio in the games he's played so far this season is unreal. If he can stay healthy, he'll be one of the top pitchers in the league. But that's a BIG "if" at this point. The recent news is encouraging, but there's no guarantee about any of it, and we still haven't seen any timetable for his return.

You may have trouble getting him as cheap, though, as by now 90 percent of his owners are otherwise bullish on him. I suspect those sort of owners are the only ones who would have grabbed and held him given the injuries last year. I'm one of those guys. At this point, I'd rather keep him and take a gamble that he bounces back big, rather than deal him cheap. So it would take a lot more than he's probably worth right now to get me to deal him.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"Sheets' health is clearly an ongoing issue. My question is whether he's a decent buy-low candidate right now. What is he worth?"

Tough question. First, I do think he's a good buy-low candidate. His K-to-walk ratio in the games he's played so far this season is unreal. If he can stay healthy, he'll be one of the top pitchers in the league. But that's a BIG "if" at this point. The recent news is encouraging, but there's no guarantee about any of it, and we still haven't seen any timetable for his return.

You may have trouble getting him as cheap, though, as by now 90 percent of his owners are otherwise bullish on him. I suspect those sort of owners are the only ones who would have grabbed and held him given the injuries last year. I'm one of those guys. At this point, I'd rather keep him and take a gamble that he bounces back big, rather than deal him cheap. So it would take a lot more than he's probably worth right now to get me to deal him.

I agree with this assessment. Most Sheets owners at this point took him on his top-4 SP potential and realized the risk they were taking in that pick. You're not going to pry him away for cheap although it doesn't hurt to try. I've dealt closers for him primarily in the leagues where I've dealt to get him. Sent away Harang/Gonzalez in one and a couple good closers (can't remember which 2 guys) in another. I think I got lucky to get deals like that though as it would take a lot more than that to get him from me.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bcb » Wed May 24, 2006 10:46 am

I just moved Helton (riding pine all year) and Benitez (Gagne coming off of DL) for Sheets. Dumb move?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 24, 2006 11:09 am

bcb wrote:I just moved Helton (riding pine all year) and Benitez (Gagne coming off of DL) for Sheets. Dumb move?

Not if Sheets comes back. Let's face it - all 3 players in this deal are big injury risks. Helton has acute terminal ileitis - an intestinal condition - and there's no way of knowing how badly this will affect him going forward. Benitez is a big fat ass with a bad knee - not a good combination as shown by his teammate Bonds. Honestly out of the 3 I think Sheets may have the least injury risk which is scary. If Helton's been on your bench I think you made a good trade here.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates