Angels' young ones are coming up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Angels' young ones are coming up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Angels' young ones are coming up

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun May 21, 2006 4:39 pm

McPherson up, Ayabar up, rumor has it that Jered Weaver will be up soon. What's your guys' expectation both for this year and for the future on those 3 and other top prospects like Kendricks, Wood and Morales. Man, they have a good system... 8-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 21, 2006 4:47 pm

As an Angel fan I will give you my thoughts.

First of all the Angels suck, it's really simple. I want them to call up all their prospects whom they feel are major league ready and let them play.

They need to gut this team. The bullpen is horrible outside the set-up and closer. The offense is god aweful. I don't think Wood is ready so he should stay down, but they need to bring up Kendrick for good and definately Weaver.

I am starting to think Kotchman is not what he is cracked up to be. I am really regretting the fact that they didn't land Konerko last offseason.

They need to go out and get a power hitting 1B or bring up Morales. Trade Kennedy for a MR or 3B, and bring up Kendrick. OCAB has done alright so I don't mind him for right now at SS. Aybar should be at 3B. Anderson in LF, Figgins in CF (even when Darin I suck Erstad comes back), and of course Vladdy in RF. Catcher needs to be upgraded, Napoli isn't the answer, Molina isn't a hitter and Mathis really struggled, but hopefully he found his swing in AAA.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Surfs up » Sun May 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Anderson is slowing down everyday. He is better off as the DH. His best days are behind him.And he can't be counted on to play 140 games.Time to move foward and let the kids play.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 192)

Postby hybrid » Sun May 21, 2006 7:13 pm

I have no idea what they are trying to do honestly w/ their young kids. My only guess is that they are trying to give them some big league experience so they aren't wide eyed later on when they are up for good.

Kendrick needed more time in AAA, but they called him up and sent him down with out giving him much AB's. It looks like they are doing the same thing with Aybar, he pinch runs and will pinch hit. The problem I have with this is well, let them get more time playing. It's pretty obvious they don't want Aybar up long and will send him back down after they get a player or two back from injury.

Dallas has shown no improvement at all really, still K's a ton. So no expectation for both since one can't hit at the major league level and the other won't get a chance. Weaver could be a nice call up if they give him a chance, he can't be any worse then his brother.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BigZ38 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Whose rotation spot would Je. Weaver take?

I am in big time need of a starting pitcher and want to be all over him when he gets called up.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Sun May 21, 2006 7:34 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Whose rotation spot would Je. Weaver take?

I am in big time need of a starting pitcher and want to be all over him when he gets called up.

He could take Colon's spot for at least the moment since he is on the DL, but the Angels like trotting Gregg out there I guess. He could also take his brothers spot, but I doubt the Angels would do anything like that.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Halo Homers » Mon May 22, 2006 2:12 am

I think most savvy Angels fans understood that this could be a transition year, although I don't think anyone thought it would get this bad.

For one, I hope the play their young players. As much as I like Adam Kennedy, he needs to be traded to free up room. When Erstad returns, he should come back as a role player only. Give Rivera, Kotchman, and McPherson a full shot at becomming regulars. They should not have to look over their shoulders. Bring up Kendrick as a super sub to play 2B or 1B. I think their everyday lineup should look like this:

Figgins 2B
Cabrera SS
Vlady RF
AndersonLF
Salmon DH (Earned It!!)
Rivera CF
McPherson3B
Molina / Napoli C
Kotchman 1B

Jered Weaver should also come up in place of Gregg, and after Colon is back, replace his brother if he has not improved.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby WittyC » Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 am

Phatferd wrote:As an Angel fan I will give you my thoughts.

First of all the Angels suck, it's really simple. I want them to call up all their prospects whom they feel are major league ready and let them play.

They need to gut this team. The bullpen is horrible outside the set-up and closer. The offense is god aweful. I don't think Wood is ready so he should stay down, but they need to bring up Kendrick for good and definately Weaver.

I am starting to think Kotchman is not what he is cracked up to be. I am really regretting the fact that they didn't land Konerko last offseason.

They need to go out and get a power hitting 1B or bring up Morales. Trade Kennedy for a MR or 3B, and bring up Kendrick. OCAB has done alright so I don't mind him for right now at SS. Aybar should be at 3B. Anderson in LF, Figgins in CF (even when Darin I suck Erstad comes back), and of course Vladdy in RF. Catcher needs to be upgraded, Napoli isn't the answer, Molina isn't a hitter and Mathis really struggled, but hopefully he found his swing in AAA.

I think you're exaggerating the BP situation a little bit. Obviously, K-Rod and Shields have been solid, but so has Donnelly. The guy that's killing them is Romero -- the only lefty in the pen. But he'll figure things out so long as Scioscia puts him in situations to succeed.

As you mentioned, the lack of power productions at the corner infield spots is the real problem for Angels. The starting pitching hasn't been great, but Colon is a horse, and he'll be back soon enough. Colon, Escobar and Lackey are a solid 1-2-3, and between Gregg, Santana and Weaver they should be okay at 4-5. I don't think Jered is major-league ready yet, and calling him up would be a mistake, IMO.

Regardless, the Angels are still in good shape in the West. No one is running away with that division by any means, and when the dust settles they'll be right in the thick of things come September. ;-D
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon May 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Let's not forget... losing a Cy Young Pitcher will hurt any team. DOnnelly, SHields and K-Rod are maybe the best top-3 bullpen there is, but when the SP situation is weakend with Colon out, you have to pitch your 4th and 5th guys in the bullpen more. I'm sure SCiosia had intended Romero as just a spot guy to get a big lefty out, instead, he's had to put him in throwing way too much.

The problem with the Angels is, they're depending on aging vets on the downslope of their careers and youngsters who aren't improving quickly. That and mere adequate vets like Kennedy and Rvera.

Vlad, Figgins and ORmado Cabrera are darn good. Garrett Anderson is good when he's healthy, but he really ought to be DHing more, but that slot is being taken by Salmon.

Anderson should be DHING far more games, with Salmon getting his ABS at DH when GA is on the field or when he spot starts at 1b.

Trading for a Miggy Cabrera would solve a lot of problems. Miggy and Vlad is like Ortiz and Manny, and that changes the whole way you pitch that lineup. You could move FIggy to a more utility role too.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon May 22, 2006 2:48 pm

ALSO... I really think, especially in their world series year, the Angeles were playing WAY ABOVE their real talent level the last 3rd of the season. I remember that world series year very clearly, and the Angels had the great fortune of having virtually everybody in the lineup being hot all at the same time. Everybody was hitting, even the 8 & 9 guys were hitting. That's a very very rare thing, especially in the playoffs, and I think it sorted of raised the level of expectation for the Angels ever since.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers