McCann looks to be out for a while - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

McCann looks to be out for a while

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Prooks25 » Sun May 21, 2006 12:43 am

Ok...so it doesn't look as terrible as before?
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Sun May 21, 2006 12:59 am

In other words it sounds a bit like what happened to Chipper last month: it looked worse than it was. I guess we''l still have to wait and see what they say the degree of the sprain is. I'm gonna guess he's out at least a month. The next issue of The Baseball Injury Report might say something about it.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby b3asty » Sun May 21, 2006 12:55 pm

Posted elsewhere from today's Atlanta Journal Constitution: (definitely encouraging) I quickly picked Johjima back up last night after this happened but McCann is definitely on the radar. Dude is batting .350

"When it first happened, I thought I was done for the year," McCann said. "I heard it pop and my leg went numb. Luckily, it was something that's not going to keep me out too long."

X-rays showed no fracture and according to Braves head athletic trainer Jeff Porter, McCann suffered a sprained left ankle.

"We were very lucky," Porter said. "It looked bad."

Because McCann could get around on his own power, and the swelling had been kept to a minimum with the help of ice, the Braves are holding out hope that McCann could return to the lineup later this week. If the swelling doesn't increase overnight, that belief will be strengthened.

"I heal quickly," McCann said. "With little minor injuries, I always heal quicker than what they say. ... This is not something that is going to keep me out or put me on the DL.
b3asty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sj2k » Sun May 21, 2006 1:53 pm

I have heard he is out a week max
sj2k
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colsod01 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:13 pm

latest update on mc cann. i stil don't know what to do with him. j estrada is available. any thoughts??

from roto world:

Braves recalled catcher Brayan Pena from Triple-A Richmond
It looks like Brian McCann will avoid the disabled list, but the Braves needed someone to aid Todd Pratt with catching chores for a few days. Pena will return to the minors once McCann is healthy. May. 21 - 8:49 pm et
ANY HELP APPRECIATED

WHIR
colsod01
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Train » Sun May 21, 2006 11:03 pm

You can't really cut him since someone will scoop him up so I guess you either drop a bench player for Estrada or do without a catcher for a few days... an article I read this morning indicated that he suffered from a fair bit of swelling and discomfort early this morning, so I can't imagine him back in a week but I could see the Braves waiting until the end of the week to see how it is and then placing him on the 15-day DL retroactive to last night if it isn't better. I'm not sure what distinguishes his sprain from Alou's or Hardy's who are both out for weeks....ankle sprains are hard to come back from in a short time.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby number9 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:22 am

I think I'll just go without a catcher in my H2H league until his situation becomes more clear. With a 40 move limit and all important playoffs being in September, it's not worth it for me to grab a temporary replacement catcher when they don't contribute much to the team to begin with.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Tue May 23, 2006 7:01 pm

My advice would be, hold him. In a few days, he'll either be back (not likely) or go on the DL, which means you can pick somebody up without giving up McCann. If this goes longer than a week though, its' probably time to start looking around.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GreenFish » Wed May 24, 2006 12:35 am

Latest News for rotoworld

May. 24, 2006 - 12:34 am et

Brian McCann, who was involved in a collission with Eric Byrnes on Saturday, returned to action as a pinch-hitter on Tuesday.
He grounded out in his lone at-bat. McCann may get another day or two off from starting, but the important thing is that he's going to avoid the disabled list.
If you believe everything you read, better not read.
Japanese Proverb
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

Postby number9 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:08 am

Wow, he's a tough cookie. Hopefully he won't be dragging out the recovery, but he's a young guy ;-D
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates