Alfonso Soriano revisisted (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alfonso Soriano revisisted (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:56 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Zito is God wrote:He got me into first place (almost by himself) and now I am likely slipping from it this week. Oh well, he'll get on another streak soon and get to 40-40 in no time.

BTW, Robinson had Soriano bat third yesturday...

I noticed that...it'll be interesting to see how hitting 3rd in that order will play out for Soriano.

Soriano is hitting .170 in 11 games batting 3rd.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:28 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
Zito is God wrote:He got me into first place (almost by himself) and now I am likely slipping from it this week. Oh well, he'll get on another streak soon and get to 40-40 in no time.

I noticed that...it'll be interesting to see how hitting 3rd in that order will play out for Soriano.

That's a small sample size though. I'd be more interested to see how the runs/rbi's go in the 3 spot for the Nationals once he starts hitting like he's capable of hitting.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby cordscords » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:32 pm

DevilDriver wrote:

That's a small sample size though. I'd be more interested to see how the runs/rbi's go in the 3 spot for the Nationals once he starts hitting like he's capable of hitting.

Most likely more RBI, less R.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:00 pm

cordscords wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:

Most likely more RBI, less R.

I wonder how well the 1/2 guys will do on setting the table and how good the 4/5 guys can drive Soriano in. I actually think this may be a good move as Vidro is getting on base at a good clip and Soriano has the power to drive home guys with a lot of extra base hits.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ukrneal » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:41 am

Soriano is close to a career high in walks with about half the season still to go. THAT, I never expected. He has more walks than in all but one of his seasons (2003 - when he had 38).
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:44 am

ukrneal wrote:Soriano is close to a career high in walks with about half the season still to go. THAT, I never expected. He has more walks than in all but one of his seasons (2003 - when he had 38).

That is leaving me scratching my head as well. However he is also on pace for I believe around 150 strikeouts, a big increase from where his K total has been the last 3 years.

I don't know if there has been a study done on players performance the year after both their walks and strikeouts have increased, but I'd like to see the info.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 am

cordscords wrote:
ukrneal wrote:Soriano is close to a career high in walks with about half the season still to go. THAT, I never expected. He has more walks than in all but one of his seasons (2003 - when he had 38).

That is leaving me scratching my head as well. However he is also on pace for I believe around 150 strikeouts, a big increase from where his K total has been the last 3 years.

I don't know if there has been a study done on players performance the year after both their walks and strikeouts have increased, but I'd like to see the info.

I don't have any links off-hand but players tend to hit for more power and better average after a spike in walks. As the scouting report gets around that a player is more willing/able to take a walk than they were in the past pitchers start throwing more strikes. More strikes usually means a higher number of fat strikes and more fat strikes means a higher number of hard hit balls. This is all very general in nature of course but from what I read it usually holds true.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cordscords » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:08 am

cordscords wrote:

I don't have any links off-hand but players tend to hit for more power and better average after a spike in walks. As the scouting report gets around that a player is more willing/able to take a walk than they were in the past pitchers start throwing more strikes. More strikes usually means a higher number of fat strikes and more fat strikes means a higher number of hard hit balls. This is all very general in nature of course but from what I read it usually holds true.

But usually an increase in walks come with a decrease in K's. I think this shows (although a small sample size this season) that when Soriano gets more strikes to hit he is still the same Soriano (hit a pathetic .207 in June however drew a nice 14 walks). So seeing more strikes shouldnt have a huge effect on his batting average due to his agressive (however seemingly improved) approach at the plate.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:53 am

cordscords wrote:But usually an increase in walks come with a decrease in K's. I think this shows (although a small sample size this season) that when Soriano gets more strikes to hit he is still the same Soriano (hit a pathetic .207 in June however drew a nice 14 walks). So seeing more strikes shouldnt have a huge effect on his batting average due to his agressive (however seemingly improved) approach at the plate.

True but even the free swinging Soriano can benefit from having a few more meatballs tossed his way. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stumpak » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:34 pm

Maybe his career high in walks is due to the fact that he is far and away the biggest threat in a horrible line-up and he is getting pitched around? In Texas and New York he was merely one slugger among many.

As an owner of Soriano, I remain thrilled by his first half, which gave me much more thqan expected. I was thinking has value might hold moving forward if he is traded to the right situation, but it is looking more and more like he may be staying in Washington - he is talking about signing there long term. So I cashed out on his this week for a good return. I thought that it might be too late to sell high, but the HR and SB output so far seems to have people blinded to the streakiness and the reality of RFK and the Nats' line-up.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers