Alfonso Soriano revisisted (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alfonso Soriano revisisted (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbones733 » Sun May 21, 2006 5:04 pm

he's a stud, sometimes fantasy players dig to deep into splits & what now, if the guy is good , hes good which is the case w Soriano
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 4032
Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ home in my galaxie

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun May 21, 2006 6:29 pm

This season I made two great trades:

1. Lowry, SP (SF) and Lee, SP (CLE) for Super Thome.
2. R. Howard for A. Soriano, straight up.

Soriano's a stud and he's great in any 2B spot. No doubt about it.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Postby cordscords » Sun May 21, 2006 7:08 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Great fantasy player, good real life player


Fantasy- Yup
Real Life- Nope
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jayman » Sun May 21, 2006 7:22 pm

anyone know how the ballparks in the AL west compare to the ballparks in the NL east? Are Anahiem, SEA, and OAK considered neutral parks?
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1151
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In the holosuite playing the Vulcans!

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 21, 2006 7:51 pm

jayman wrote:anyone know how the ballparks in the AL west compare to the ballparks in the NL east? Are Anahiem, SEA, and OAK considered neutral parks?


Are you kidding? Seattle has one of the biggest parks in the majors!
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun May 21, 2006 7:56 pm

cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Great fantasy player, good real life player


Fantasy- Yup
Real Life- Nope



He is a very good hitter with elite speed and a strong arm. I think that qualifies him as a good player.



Last year when I told you he was rumored to go to the Astros in a trade you were ecstatic...Why? Because he is a good player.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2583
(Past Year: 429)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby Pedantic » Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Great fantasy player, good real life player


Fantasy- Yup
Real Life- Nope



He is a very good hitter with elite speed and a strong arm. I think that qualifies him as a good player.


Joey Gathright has "elite" speed. A strong arm? Maybe, but how much of a player's value does this really determine? Methinks not much. As for his hitting, his power blinds people to the fact that his lack of plate discipline severely limits his production at the plate. Soriano may be a boon to fantasy owners, but he is one of the most overrated players in real life, especially considering his salary.
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6725
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows

Postby cordscords » Sun May 21, 2006 8:52 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Last year when I told you he was rumored to go to the Astros in a trade you were ecstatic...Why? Because he is a good player.


Why was I ecstatic? Because the Astros offense was, how you say....terrible!

I don't discount the fact that Soriano has some very useful skills. He has a great blend of power and speed. Something needed to be done to boost the offense, and Soriano would have been an improvement over several guys in the lineup.

As for him being a good player. The OBP, K/BB, the defense is just too terrible.

And as for him being a good defensive OF, he leads all OF with 5 errors with Carlos Lee being in second with 4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/bypos ... =1&sort=23

Look at how low he is on the OBP list of just LF! The 28th best OBP amongst LF!

Great real life player...
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun May 21, 2006 9:07 pm

cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Last year when I told you he was rumored to go to the Astros in a trade you were ecstatic...Why? Because he is a good player.


Why was I ecstatic? Because the Astros offense was, how you say....terrible!

I don't discount the fact that Soriano has some very useful skills. He has a great blend of power and speed. Something needed to be done to boost the offense, and Soriano would have been an improvement over several guys in the lineup.

As for him being a good player. The OBP, K/BB, the defense is just too terrible.

And as for him being a good defensive OF, he leads all OF with 5 errors with Carlos Lee being in second with 4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/bypos ... =1&sort=23

Look at how low he is on the OBP list of just LF! The 28th best OBP amongst LF!

Great real life player...

I did not say great, I said good, he is a GOOD real life player, simply because he is an offensive juggernaut.

While I will agree with you that you can do better than Soriano in real life, he is still a good player. His offensive production is just too much for him not to be considered a good player.


35 HR's 100 runs and 100 RBI's consistently sounds like a good player to me.


And yes, I know that the Astos have a bad offense, but a GOOD player like Soriano can help turn a bad offense around, deal with it.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2583
(Past Year: 429)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun May 21, 2006 9:11 pm

Pedantic wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
cordscords wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Great fantasy player, good real life player


Fantasy- Yup
Real Life- Nope



He is a very good hitter with elite speed and a strong arm. I think that qualifies him as a good player.


Joey Gathright has "elite" speed. A strong arm? Maybe, but how much of a player's value does this really determine? Methinks not much. As for his hitting, his power blinds people to the fact that his lack of plate discipline severely limits his production at the plate. Soriano may be a boon to fantasy owners, but he is one of the most overrated players in real life, especially considering his salary.



He might be overrated, but he is still a good player. He is not the best player, I know that, but he is still a good player.



I consider Mark Kotsay a good real life player, and I would rather have Soriano over Kotsay, so to me, that makes Soriano a good player. I just used Kotsay as an example.

If Soriano puts up 35 HR's 100 runs and 100 RBI's playing for the Nationals, even the guys who dont like Soriano would have to admit he is a good player simply because of his production at the plate.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2583
(Past Year: 429)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Boston
(4:05 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact