Tyler Walker 6 saves in 9 days!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Tyler Walker 6 saves in 9 days!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tyler Walker 6 saves in 9 days!!!

Postby tjasinto2 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:38 am

Pick him up while he's still available if you need him....He probably still a FA in most leagues and TB is getting back to full health soon so they'll be more competitive!
C-J. Posada
1B-D. Ortiz
2B-Cuddyer
3B-Mora, Chavez (BN)
SS-Furcal
OF-C.Lee, Cabrera, Matthews Jr, Cameron (BN)
Util-Delgado

SP-Clemens, Hudson, Sabathia, Lackey, Penny, Jer. Weaver, Lester, Maroth (DL)
RP-Street, Otsuka, Fuentes
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Klopos » Fri May 19, 2006 12:45 am

No way he's a free agent in any moderately deep league with semi-competent owners.
Klopos
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Noel Blake Fan Club » Fri May 19, 2006 6:29 am

He was available as a FA in my league (I picked him up this morning). Given that the TB closer role has chopped and changed this season, I'm not that surprised that he's available - particularly after his awful start.

Of course, now that I have picked him up he will implode for sure...!1
Noel Blake Fan Club
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 19, 2006 9:15 am

He's a VERY bad pitcher. That said he is a very bad pitcher that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are choosing to send out there to save games. Furthermore the DRays bullpen is stocked with a wide assortment of very bad pitchers. Lastly he's proven in the past that he can hold his crappiness in check for abbreviated periods of time and look like a good closer. He's doing that now...enjoy it while it lasts.

In a roto league he's much more valuable than in a h2h since his inevitable implosion is just a blip on the radar in a roto league...it could lose you two categories during a week in a h2h league. Even so I've found myself rostering him in my h2h league - a closer is a closer and since they're the most likely guys to give you stats in 1/10th of your categories they're fairly valuable...even if they are VERY bad.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby George Bell » Fri May 19, 2006 9:42 am

I am baffled by this situation.

You look at his #'s this season and see that 8.80 ERA and 1.826 WHIP and ask yourself "How can this be?". You look at the career #'s and they are horrible. Even though he managed 23 saves for the Giants last year, there is little if anything to recommend him.

I passed up Walker when I had an opening and he has now counted 4 saves, an ERA of 0.00 and a .857 WHIP for a rival in the past two weeks.

The meltdown is coming, isn't it? Or is this an example of a lot of people simply getting it wrong?
George Bell 1987 AL MVP
"Kiss my purple butt."
George Bell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JohnGris » Fri May 19, 2006 9:58 am

I am baffled by this situation.

You look at his #'s this season and see that 8.80 ERA and 1.826 WHIP and ask yourself "How can this be?". You look at the career #'s and they are horrible. Even though he managed 23 saves for the Giants last year, there is little if anything to recommend him.

I passed up Walker when I had an opening and he has now counted 4 saves, an ERA of 0.00 and a .857 WHIP for a rival in the past two weeks.

The meltdown is coming, isn't it? Or is this an example of a lot of people simply getting it wrong?

I think the answer might be that the major meltdown has already passed. Not that there won't be many other rough patches for him ahead, but his super-nightmarish start to '06 is not in line with his career numbers, as poor as they may be. Perhaps this stretch is him "rubberbanding" his numbers back to normal--an equally hot stretch to match his dismal stretch to date.

He entered the league in 2002 and has put up an ERA of 4.82 and around 1.50 WHIP to date. So he's not near as bad as his 8.80 ERA indicates, but he's also not bonafide closer material with that ERA and WHIP. His minor league ERA was almost 4.00, so he doesn't have a high ceiling nor appears to have any great untapped potential.

But he sure as heck ain't gonna finish the season with his ERA as high as it is now.

I guess the only reason why Tampa chose him for a closer is that he had decent closer experience last year. Does anybody have his numbers for only when he was acting as closer?

-JohnGris
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 19, 2006 10:01 am

George Bell wrote:I am baffled by this situation.

Nope, the meltdown is coming. The problem is that baseball, like poker, can have significant runs of luck. Tyler Walker could go on one of those runs just like the guy at the table that's constantly chasing runner-runner flushes and other junk. They both may be bad at what they do but they can end up making the good players look bad and taking all of the money (in Walker's case when it comes time to negotiate his next contract if he keeps this up long enough). It doesn't take much luck for major league managers to decide that you've got the 'mental makeup' to close and one you've gotten that label it takes a TON of bad luck to wipe it away.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 19, 2006 10:04 am

JohnGris wrote:I think the answer might be that the major meltdown has already passed. Not that there won't be many other rough patches for him ahead, but his super-nightmarish start to '06 is not in line with his career numbers, as poor as they may be. Perhaps this stretch is him "rubberbanding" his numbers back to normal--an equally hot stretch to match his dismal stretch to date.

He entered the league in 2002 and has put up an ERA of 4.82 and around 1.50 WHIP to date. So he's not near as bad as his 8.80 ERA indicates, but he's also not bonafide closer material with that ERA and WHIP. His minor league ERA was almost 4.00, so he doesn't have a high ceiling nor appears to have any great untapped potential.

But he sure as heck ain't gonna finish the season with his ERA as high as it is now.

I guess the only reason why Tampa chose him for a closer is that he had decent closer experience last year. Does anybody have his numbers for only when he was acting as closer?

-JohnGris

You're definitely right that he's not going to pitch as badly as he was before...by meltdown I mean that he's going to give up a run and 3 baserunners every other inning. That's what he's capable of doing in the longrun and there's no reason to believe that's changed. In closer terms that is definitely a blowup.

I don't have the numbers from when he was closing but I have my own impressions as a Ty owner from last year...he'll have stretches like he's had over the last 9 games followed by stretches like he had when he first came to TB. He's a bad pitcher and eventually that catches up with him. The good thing for Walker is that the competition stinks too...he just may stick in the job.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JohnGris » Fri May 19, 2006 10:08 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:You're definitely right that he's not going to pitch as badly as he was before...by meltdown I mean that he's going to give up a run and 3 baserunners every other inning. That's what he's capable of doing in the longrun and there's no reason to believe that's changed. In closer terms that is definitely a blowup.

I don't have the numbers from when he was closing but I have my own impressions as a Ty owner from last year...he'll have stretches like he's had over the last 9 games followed by stretches like he had when he first came to TB. He's a bad pitcher and eventually that catches up with him. The good thing for Walker is that the competition stinks too...he just may stick in the job.

I think the important thing is for all Walker owners to know what they're getting. I picked him up easily because his ERA scared others away (it was way over 10 last week) and it's paid off so far, but I also know that I've sold my soul to the ERA and WHIP Devil to get those saves. My retribution will be coming eventually. :*)
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates