The Jones/Rodney Saga... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Jones/Rodney Saga...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:50 am

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:no argument that Zumaya is the best guy out of the pen right now, and Rodney has been better than Jones even with his recent struggles, but you dont pay a guy $6 mil to be your 7th inning setup man. besides, if Jones doesnt close you still have to pitch him, so he blows the game in the 7th instead of the 9th?

i just dont see a change being made barring trade or injury

Detroit has at least a 50% chance to make the playoffs via division win or WC, if Shelton can get back on track, and give them about 30+ homers. They still lead the majors in ERA. Thames has been a revelation. Zumaya has been an anchor. They have 5 guys with double-digit homers already, and we're not even halfway through June (Granderson is 1 homer shy of making it 6). They have lots of very nice parts.

When you have a shot to win, a team has to take it. It doesn't matter about how big Jones' paycheck is.

pretty sure the lead the league in batter K's too, their OBP is terrible and the make alot of errors, so i wouldnt count on a playoff appearance just yet.

and again, if Jones doesnt close, they arent going to just cut him so he still has to pitch. i'd rather take my chances with him in the 9th with a 3 run lead than letting him give up a 1 run lead in the 7th
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:01 pm

I think at some point, Leyland will be more worried about wins than keeping a guy at closer just because he is getting paid. Before Jones had done little to lose the job. Now that he has, they should look at other guys. Supposedly Rodney's recent struggles have been the result of a mechanical flaw in his delivery, so we'll see. Regardless of who actually closes games out, they still need another guy to be that 8th inning guy and not implode, so the team cannot afford to have Rodney AND Jones struggle. Sure Zumaya can become the closer, but it wouldn't matter if Jones or Rodney are still blowing it in the 8th. As a Tiger fan, I would be fine with either Zumaya or Rodney closing (assuming Rodney gets back on track) since both are very capable, but I assume most in this forum prefer whomever they have on their fantasy teams.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:14 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I think at some point, Leyland will be more worried about wins than keeping a guy at closer just because he is getting paid. Before Jones had done little to lose the job. Now that he has, they should look at other guys. Supposedly Rodney's recent struggles have been the result of a mechanical flaw in his delivery, so we'll see. Regardless of who actually closes games out, they still need another guy to be that 8th inning guy and not implode, so the team cannot afford to have Rodney AND Jones struggle. Sure Zumaya can become the closer, but it wouldn't matter if Jones or Rodney are still blowing it in the 8th. As a Tiger fan, I would be fine with either Zumaya or Rodney closing (assuming Rodney gets back on track) since both are very capable, but I assume most in this forum prefer whomever they have on their fantasy teams.

I don't know that I agree with Leyland being the least bit concerned about how much anyone is making, but he does like experience in his closer it would seem.
For my money they should eat the money and send Jones packing. His stuff is junk, last season a distant memory. Judging from Fridays performance at Toronto, Jones does still have some value....throwing BP. Hmm...Maybe he could get Shelton back on track.

The Tigers have a lot of young strong arms in the system that can do a much better job than Jones. But they lack a track record. Schitzophrenic as he can be, Jones has saved games. That is enough for him to remain Leyland's closer......for now. I don't foresee his reign being a long one. The team with the best record in baseball cannot afford to have Jones fanning the flames instead of hitters.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers