Must Speak Spanish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Must Speak Spanish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Good for him. If they were 'Mexicans' they'd live in Mexico. If they were 'Italians' they'd live in Italy. 'Americans' live in America, where English is spoken. Pledge allegiance to America if you want to be American.


I have always been of the belief that people should learn English when coming to America as a courtesy. What is the other option?? Make us learn their language to understand them?? That makes little sense. The only problem that I have is that there is no official language in America. That causes some grey areas.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:28 am

Lofunzo wrote:
I understood this article to say that they wanted the employees to learn the language to accomodate the spanish speaking customers. I don't see how this would affect the english speaking customers. The employees would just speak english to them.


Not sure I understand what you're asking, but if it's "Why would people boycott the store?" then that's easy. It's the principal of the whole thing. A group of people have jobs, and now they are forced into learning a foreign language to coddle the people in America who refuse to learn the language spoken in America. Just plain silly to me. Optional and maybe a salary bump or raise for learning a foreign language? Sure, no problems here. Forcing them to learn it or lose their jobs? Ridiculous.

However, as I noted in earlier posts, the business owner does have the right to do what he's doing, as he believes it will increase sales for his business, and he's got every right to choose to cater to the needs of his customers. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it on a moral level though. ;-)

Really no different than the cheesesteak place in the article I posted. People will go to that cheesesteak place simply due to the "Must speak English" sign. I know if I was in the area, I'd give them my business anytime I wanted a cheesesteak, as I agree 100% that if you're in America, you should speak English. Any person or company that supports that, will earn my business in return. Any business that thinks we should coddle those who refuse to learn the language by forcing their employees to learn a foreign language, will in turn, lose my business as I highly disagree that the country should bend over for those who refuse to have a little common courtesy for the land in which they live.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:07 am

Lofunzo wrote:The only problem that I have is that there is no official language in America. That causes some grey areas.


I thought they were working on that? I can't seem to find a link, but I thought I either heard it on the radio or TV that they were going to see about getting an official language passed in the US. Most states have official languages currently.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:16 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:The only problem that I have is that there is no official language in America. That causes some grey areas.


I thought they were working on that? I can't seem to find a link, but I thought I either heard it on the radio or TV that they were going to see about getting an official language passed in the US. Most states have official languages currently.


last I heard Democrats in the congress wouldn't let it pass.

which is stupidity if you ask me, as of now, I don't think it matters. But the way Mexicans are moving to some part of the country(California for example) and being the majority in a lot of places. It could matter in the future. I know the possibility of Latinos asking for say Public Schools to be taught in both English and Spanish in the future because English is not the official language makes you cringe Mad. But it could happen.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:51 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
I understood this article to say that they wanted the employees to learn the language to accomodate the spanish speaking customers. I don't see how this would affect the english speaking customers. The employees would just speak english to them.


Not sure I understand what you're asking, but if it's "Why would people boycott the store?" then that's easy. It's the principal of the whole thing. A group of people have jobs, and now they are forced into learning a foreign language to coddle the people in America who refuse to learn the language spoken in America. Just plain silly to me. Optional and maybe a salary bump or raise for learning a foreign language? Sure, no problems here. Forcing them to learn it or lose their jobs? Ridiculous.

However, as I noted in earlier posts, the business owner does have the right to do what he's doing, as he believes it will increase sales for his business, and he's got every right to choose to cater to the needs of his customers. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it on a moral level though. ;-)

Really no different than the cheesesteak place in the article I posted. People will go to that cheesesteak place simply due to the "Must speak English" sign. I know if I was in the area, I'd give them my business anytime I wanted a cheesesteak, as I agree 100% that if you're in America, you should speak English. Any person or company that supports that, will earn my business in return. Any business that thinks we should coddle those who refuse to learn the language by forcing their employees to learn a foreign language, will in turn, lose my business as I highly disagree that the country should bend over for those who refuse to have a little common courtesy for the land in which they live.


I was just saying that I think that we have different interpretations of the article. I don't really see a problem with them learning spanish to accomodate the spanish speaking customers. They can still speak english to the other customers. It seems like you think that they will only be speaking spanish while I don't think that's the case.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
I was just saying that I think that we have different interpretations of the article. I don't really see a problem with them learning spanish to accomodate the spanish speaking customers. They can still speak english to the other customers. It seems like you think that they will only be speaking spanish while I don't think that's the case.


No, I know they will still speak English to their English speaking customers. :-? Not sure how I suggested that wouldn't be the case, but it doesn't have anything to do with why I think this is a bad policy. :-?

To clarify, the problem I have with it is that there is absolutely no reason why these employees should be forced to learn a foreign language or lose their jobs. The reasoning behind them being forced? The country has too many illegals that lack the common decency and respect to learn the language spoken in the land in which they live. That's the employees fault? I think not and that's not a valid reason for someone to lose their job in my opinion.

Again, the business owner has every right to do what he's doing, I just don't agree with it at all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:17 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
I was just saying that I think that we have different interpretations of the article. I don't really see a problem with them learning spanish to accomodate the spanish speaking customers. They can still speak english to the other customers. It seems like you think that they will only be speaking spanish while I don't think that's the case.


No, I know they will still speak English to their English speaking customers. :-? Not sure how I suggested that wouldn't be the case, but it doesn't have anything to do with why I think this is a bad policy. :-?

To clarify, the problem I have with it is that there is absolutely no reason why these employees should be forced to learn a foreign language or lose their jobs. The reasoning behind them being forced? The country has too many illegals that lack the common decency and respect to learn the language spoken in the land in which they live. That's the employees fault? I think not and that's not a valid reason for someone to lose their job in my opinion.

Again, the business owner has every right to do what he's doing, I just don't agree with it at all.


That's fair. I just have no problem with a company recognizing that they have a lot of spanish speaking customers and taking the initiative to accomodate them. I do have a problem with them forcing their employees to learn said language but I don't think that it's that big of a deal. They can relocate or get paid to sit down and learn.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:37 am

Lofunzo wrote:
That's fair. I just have no problem with a company recognizing that they have a lot of spanish speaking customers and taking the initiative to accomodate them. I do have a problem with them forcing their employees to learn said language but I don't think that it's that big of a deal. They can relocate or get paid to sit down and learn.


See, we basically agree. ;-) The only real difference we have is that I do believe forcing the employees to do this, is a larger issue than you do. Other than that, we're in agreement. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:47 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
That's fair. I just have no problem with a company recognizing that they have a lot of spanish speaking customers and taking the initiative to accomodate them. I do have a problem with them forcing their employees to learn said language but I don't think that it's that big of a deal. They can relocate or get paid to sit down and learn.


See, we basically agree. ;-) The only real difference we have is that I do believe forcing the employees to do this, is a larger issue than you do. Other than that, we're in agreement. ;-D


That's my biggest issue, probably my only issue, with this. Making it mandatory for some employees to learn a foreign language. I definitely don't have a problem with a company offering its employees the benefit of learning another language and paying for it. I think it'd be a great opportunity for that employee and a great business decision for the company. But forcing an employee to learn it is wrong, imo.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact