Must Speak Spanish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Thu May 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Mi maestra tiene grande chi chis.

That's all I remember from my Spanish classes
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Thu May 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think it is a great opportunity for the employees to learn the Spanish language for free.

agreed. that's the first thing i thought: hey, free spanish lessons? sweet.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:However...I have a hard time with the possibility of a manager having been employed by this company for 20 years when they approach him and tell him he needs to learn a foreign language in order to keep his job.

that's how my grandfather lost his job in a department store. he's still bitter: "my parents had to learn the language when they came here, why can't these people learn the language? what makes them so special?"

no use debating the guy, even if i had a mind to do so.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Madison tiene un boligrafo en su camiseta. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri May 19, 2006 1:41 am

2 totally different thoughts here, but......

#1. If the owner believes that his employees learning Spanish will bring in more business, than the amount of business he will lose due to this policy, then he's free to do as he pleases. Make no mistake about it though, he will lose some of his English speaking customers, but if he draws in more business than what he loses, then it's hard to argue with his decision. He owns a business, and he's making a business decision in order to attempt to grow the business.

the new policy doesn't please all No Frills shoppers. One told KETV NewsWatch 7 he thinks immigrants should learn English.

#2. Put me in the camp of the quote above. Go anywhere on the face of the Earth and ask someone what language is spoken in America. They will tell you that Americans speak English. If you're in this country, you really should learn it. It benefits not only the country, but the person learning the language as well. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 19, 2006 1:32 pm

Official language status
The United States does not have an official language; nevertheless, American English (referred to in the US as simply English) is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements. Many individual states and territories have adopted English as their official language:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming

link
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Official language status
The United States does not have an official language; nevertheless, American English (referred to in the US as simply English) is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements. Many individual states and territories have adopted English as their official language:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming

link

that doesn't change a thing, I don't see anything wrong with it(they are still providing service in English, right?). It's just a single business decision and there's nothing illegal about it. So I don't see what's the big deal here.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri May 19, 2006 4:58 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:So I don't see what's the big deal here.

The big deal is that employees of that company are being forced to learn a foreign language that we do not speak in this country, or lose their jobs. I can see why it's become such a big deal.

Can you imagine the news coverage and outcry if a company forced it's employees to learn Russian? The outcry would be even worse than this, but it all boils down to the same thing. It's actually a lot quieter than I thought it would be.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 19, 2006 5:11 pm

Madison wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:So I don't see what's the big deal here.

The big deal is that employees of that company are being forced to learn a foreign language that we do not speak in this country, or lose their jobs. I can see why it's become such a big deal.

Can you imagine the news coverage and outcry if a company forced it's employees to learn Russian? The outcry would be even worse than this, but it all boils down to the same thing. It's actually a lot quieter than I thought it would be.

Let's say if it's a Spanish TV station in Omaha that's forcing their employees to learn Spanish because it's in their business interest, would you have the same problem? Just because it's a supermarket doesn't make it any worse.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri May 19, 2006 5:20 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Let's say if it's a Spanish TV station in Omaha that's forcing their employees to learn Spanish because it's in their business interest, would you have the same problem? Just because it's a supermarket doesn't make it any worse.

I don't have that big of an issue with it, so relax. Check my post on page 1. I said the business owner had the right to do that.

However, we do speak English in this country and it amazes me that someone would illegally come to this country and then expect the entire country to change to suit the illegal alien's needs. With that said, I don't like what the guy is doing, I personally hope he loses his entire English speaking base of customers, and his business goes down the drain. Probably won't happen, but at least it would be nice to see Americans stick up for America, instead of America constantly changing to suit the rest of the world's needs.

As to your comparison, it's a totally different situation due to the television company being specifically for Spanish. This is a supermarket that's always spoken English, and now they have to learn the illegal alien's language, or lose their jobs. If this sort of thing becomes common, there won't be a universal language in America anymore (so we might as well toss the term "Americans" out of the window while we're at it since it won't mean anything in the future with the way it's currently going), and all former Americans will be required to learn all of the major foreign languages in order to have a job on their own soil. Pretty sad actually.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 19, 2006 5:36 pm

the thing is that business owners always try to do what's best for their business, and what he's doing now seems like a logical step to suit the need of potential costumers. I think those immigrants should learn English(like me :-D ) but there's no reason to critisize this owner for a purely business decision
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk